cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can sell it . . . but can't get it off your mind

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my beloved TC a couple months ago and purchased a TT so I would have more room for the grandkids, etc.

Hardly a week goes by that my husband and I don't comment that we miss it and will get another. We still play "spot the truck camper".

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamed (is that the correct word???) that I went to visit my father,(who has been dead for about 9 years)and he had an old classic Avion TC in his driveway. My sisters were trying to convince him that he was too old to travel in it, but I was on his side and told him to go for it. His last travel trailer was an Airstream so I assume that is why I had Avion on my brain.

Any dream readers out there? This mean Dad is telling me to get another TC ASAP???? Or just never listen to my sisters and be as reckless as I want????
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon
22 REPLIES 22

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
The dream is a sign: Get a Truck Camper!

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
Besides a lot of people on this planet think we're all nuts anyway for having any kind of RV.

Good. More room for us.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
No, you're not crazy.

My plan instead of having a hyuuuuge 5th wheel is to have a modular RV setup.

Truck camper for shorter trips/less people and when more people are around add a small travel trailer to tow behind (like a Casita/Scamp) type thing.

Or, just use the truck camper as a base camp, and still have a tent beside it for the kiddos to use, etc.

I have no desire to tow some God-awful 32 foot 5th wheel that I can't take to any remote campground.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
NO WAY!!!! I need the pontoon to entertain all the monkeys!!! (and me!)
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Trade the toon for a TC.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I agree...both is the way to go. We have our first "family" trip planned for June. Not all of them...but 5 of the 9 (on my side of the family...my husband's crew is next to pile on)

Retirement is on the horizon and I will add the TC back in the mix.

Crazy Creek...that is a sweet little trailer. I may have to talk my sons into getting something like that. I have to break them into the camping thing SLOWLY...by me doing all the buying and towing.

Love all you TC er's...you are a special breed. Dad evidently agrees!
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
We faced the same dilemma. Not enough room for the grand kids and or their parents. Instead of selling our TC we bought a "family" camper that we can tow behind our TC or our kids can take it on their own and make memories with their little ones. We have four girls and they all have children. They've created an online calendar reservation system.

This next comment is from one of my daughters to my other daughters about how they are going to make the most of our new family camper.

Hey, I wanted to start a journal for the camper to document each of our little camping get aways. Each day or at the end of the night, we would sit down with the kids and recall our day, and write it down in journal and date it. And with the older kids, let them write it in their words. It will really be so fun to see the trip through the kids eyes. Then as adults, we can jot down hints and helpful ideas about the campsite etc, for the next family, so that we can all get the most out of each visit. If I send the Journal to you Jordan, could you write a little about your first stay? Then find a place in the camper to secure it?

This little camper is perfect for our needs. It is lightweight so no concerns about pulling it behind our TC. It sleeps 6+ and it was relatively inexpensive at 9K. (used 2012) The fact that most of my girls have mini van type vehicles it is light enough that they can pull it with ease.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
More than one person here has two or more different types of RVs. Maybe you need to do the same. 🙂

I agree. We bought a small travel trailer (R-Pod) and still have our Outfitter. There's a place and time for both.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The family link to beyond is much too ephemeral to guess at.
However, your subconscious knows that Dad wants you to get out there and enjoy. It's not the TC, per se, it's the experience and life style that you know in your heart-of-hearts that you need to follow.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
WVbassmistress wrote:
had the strangest dream last night. I dreamed (is that the correct word???) that I went to visit my father,(who has been dead for about 9 years)and he had an old classic Avion TC in his driveway. My sisters were trying to convince him that he was too old to travel in it, but I was on his side and told him to go for it. His last travel trailer was an Airstream so I assume that is why I had Avion on my brain.

You have discovered, by way of your father, that an Avion TC is happiness. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Do it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
This mean Dad is telling me to get another TC ASAP???? Or just never listen to my sisters and be as reckless as I want????

Both.... life is short, get the TC. You will have no regrets. 🙂

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could also pull a small TC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not so sure I would completely change our camping life style for the couple of weekends a year the grand kids might come alone.

Get back into a TC and put the kids in a tent for the weekend. You have paid your dues, let them pay theirs.
Some of my best memories as a kid were the nights in the tent or in the back of the station wagon that pulled our little TT.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I had TCs for many years. Then we went with a 5er for several years. It sat a lot more than the TCs did. We sold the 5er and bought another TC. Over time, we put on our pointed hats and purchased another 5er. Both are old like we are, but probably in better shape. The TC is a 11.5 foot Bigfoot, and the 5er is a 19 foot Alpenlite. I find it interesting that outside they are pretty close to the same size, but inside the 5er feel so much bigger. Neither have slides.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke