cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You can tow it with a car

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Australian Touring Caravans weigh 8000lb, there are lightweight single axle models, like this 4,200lb , 22ft version that can be easily towed by a car.

73 REPLIES 73

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The major issue with towing using a car nowadays is not necessarily the power, it is that they are not actually framed vehicles.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
As Robert wrote many Australian sedans used for towing with no problem but most use a 4+4 pickup or station van. most vehicles are limited to 3500kg tov capasety or les and no more than 10% on towbar. I don't think it is anymore dangers using a car than a truck as long as u stay witin its ratingd. not everybody neds a diesel dually so grow op.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
MontanaCamper wrote:
UK's cars have a lot more spunk then the US that's for sure...I'm sure the Ozzy's are the same...

made this disbeliever...believe....

Except the Station Wagon towing the Bailey European Camper is the Wagon version of your "Chevrolet SS' or Holden Calais.. Yes it was only a v6, but you can get a 400hp V8 version.
What you said about tbe European diesel cars applies though,.

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
When we were over in the UK visiting my wifes brother and his family. Their neighbor had a boxy square diesel wagon that towed a 22' single axle trailer..he said he towed it up to Ireland, we were in Edinburgh. I asked him how it towed, he said we didn't set any land speed records, but were not the slowest either...they don't push it. He had 14" brakes (metric of course..I measured with a US dollar bill. I told him what I towed with and what I towed (pic below) he said hop in..we will take it for ride and get a nip...soon as we got in the country he let me drive...Man, that boxy square wagon was snappy...lots of horse power. Was a 4 banger with a turbo and a 5 speed. Felt a lot like my friends supra when I was shifting through the gears.

UK's cars have a lot more spunk then the US that's for sure...I'm sure the Ozzy's are the same...

made this disbeliever...believe.....
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
gmw photo wrote:
Those lucky folks down under, in this same truck ( Navarra there ) get the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel, with 400 ft-lbs of torque. Oh man....if Nissan had that here, with my excellent six speed manual gearbox, I would be all over it.

Yes very big difference in capabilities to the Frontier. Here they pull
27-30ft lightweight 5vers. Imagine doing that with a Frontier?

Actually, we have a fella up here in Canada that is pulling a "Escape 5" ( nineteen and half foot fifth wheel ) with a Frontier and he says that it pulls nicely.

Send us that turbo diesel please for my Nissan ?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
think I will stick with my F150 size truck towing my off-road trailers. Then when I finish up my AUSSIE WARWAGON lookalike with my 12-foot box OFF-ROAD POPUP TRAILER with lots of batteries and solar panels then I won't have any worries.

They have Diesel SUV's here. Pull better than a F150(closer to a F250) and vastly better off road

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
md2lgyk wrote:
Sorry, but I do not believe there is any car sold in America (vans and SUVs excluded) that's rated to tow 4,000 pounds.

Cars in the US are underrated and Pickups overrated. OEM's make a lot more money out of selling pickups. So they do not want you to use a car for towing even if it would be suitable to do so.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
n my opinion, comparing Australian/European trailers to those built here is apples-to-oranges. Design-and-build-wise, about the only thing they have in common is that they all have tires.

No Francesca. About two years ago I posted photos of a family that took their family sedan to the US and towed a US built Hybrid Travel Trailer all over the US. There was 4 in the car.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
dadmonth wrote:
I can watch "The Long, Long Trailer" with Luci and Desi and get sweaty palms I know "back in the day", but we also didn't have seat belts then or air bags or lots of other things that have proven themselves. Think we'll stick with the F-150 with the factory tow and our 26' TT that comes in with appropriate numbers, just for the heck of it.

The car pictured would be a better bet than a midsize pickup. It sounds like "Midsize Pickups" have a deficit as far as towing goes.Towing with a suitable car is NOT a "sweaty palms" exercise far from it.For lightweight European Caravans they use Diesel cars i.e Mercedes /Volvo in Europe.These are restrictd to 60mph but have no problems exceeding sped limit towing i.e 80mph.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photo wrote:
Those lucky folks down under, in this same truck ( Navarra there ) get the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel, with 400 ft-lbs of torque. Oh man....if Nissan had that here, with my excellent six speed manual gearbox, I would be all over it.

Yes very big difference in capabilities to the Frontier. Here they pull
27-30ft lightweight 5vers. Imagine doing that with a Frontier?

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Not all Australian Touring Caravans weigh 8000lb, there are lightweight single axle models, like this 4,200lb , 22ft version that can be easily towed by a car.

I guess that's fine down under
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
As one of the members here and also on Hybrid Explorer has said, "I can tow my 23SS with my garden tractor, but it doesn't mean I should".

I can watch "The Long, Long Trailer" with Luci and Desi and get sweaty palms. I know "back in the day", but we also didn't have seat belts then or air bags or lots of other things that have proven themselves. Think we'll stick with the F-150 with the factory tow and our 26' TT that comes in with appropriate numbers, just for the heck of it.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I just back from Scotland and there were lots of small/medium sized cars towing 20+ foot trailers.

thrasher053
Explorer
Explorer
You can tow it with a car, but then you get this.

My parents moved from Indiana to California in 1949 pulling a trailer all the way. It was large enough for them to live in for a few months, so not too small. I am fairly certain my father had a Dodge at the time, probably a straight 6. It was no big deal.
Bruce and Jennie
2012 Shadow Cruiser S260-BHS
2014 Silverado Crew Cab 1500 5.3L

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, comparing Australian/European trailers to those built here is apples-to-oranges. Design-and-build-wise, about the only thing they have in common is that they all have tires.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien