cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can tow it with a car

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Australian Touring Caravans weigh 8000lb, there are lightweight single axle models, like this 4,200lb , 22ft version that can be easily towed by a car.

73 REPLIES 73

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
That won't work here because the unit would have to be installed on the roof because gravity and physics are upside down in Australia and it might be 24volt.

But let's say it will work. What does it cost in terms of what the rv buyer really wants: graphic packages and glitzy window treatments???!? (multi ??? with a !? to denote internet expert).

🙂 🙂

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
The Dung Beetles wrote:
Ahhhhh! Like that concept a lot! We are going to hit the Seattle RV show in Feb 6-9. I hope they have some display units there with this concept. Hub would love to get a better look at that. I'm a super cautious/wary driver but... bad things can and do happen fast. My hope once I retire is to be RVing at least 3 -4 months out of the year. It never hurts to have as many safety features as possible when on the open roads. Thanks!

What you describe applies to so many retirees new to RVing.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Here in north america, the sway control issue is often addressed by designing the required geometry into the weight distributing head. In effect, what we get is the ability to tailor in the varying amounts ( the correct amount ) of weight distribution ( both restoring weight to steer axle and also transferring weight to the trailer axle(s), plus we are able to control sway at the same time.

I don't know what the percentages are industry wide here in NA, but I would guess that a majority of folks here use some form of weight distribution and mechanical sway control. Also, a fairly large percentage of tow vehicles here are body on frame construction, which lends itself readily to using a mechanical WD system. They work very well in actual practice when setup correctly.

Same as here in Australia, but you do have some advanced suspension systems that are not available in the US. The ESC is being fitted to many Caravans(Nothing to with the advanced suspensions) as an added precaution against jacking and snaking.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Robert,
The ESC looks to be an interesting way of approaching sway control. Certainly looks like it would work very well in a situation where using a weight distribution hitch is not required ( or desired ? ).

Here in north america, the sway control issue is often addressed by designing the required geometry into the weight distributing head. In effect, what we get is the ability to tailor in the varying amounts ( the correct amount ) of weight distribution ( both restoring weight to steer axle and also transferring weight to the trailer axle(s), plus we are able to control sway at the same time.

In the videos of ESC, I would assume they were comparing "no sway control at all" to "having ESC turned on". What I would really like to see, or take part in testing, would be to add into the comparison, "ESC turned off, but weight distribution/sway control engaged". then for even better measure, all of it combined ( ESC+WD/sway control ).

There is certainly room for improvement in any system that can enhance safety. From the looks of, building ESC in to a trailer is pretty simple and straight forward. All that would need to be added for one of our trailers would be a power wire to it.

I don't know what the percentages are industry wide here in NA, but I would guess that a majority of folks here use some form of weight distribution and mechanical sway control. Also, a fairly large percentage of tow vehicles here are body on frame construction, which lends itself readily to using a mechanical WD system. They work very well in actual practice when setup correctly.

Thanks again for posting yet more of the interesting caravans you have in your country. Always good to look at how others engineer their solutions.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I didn't realize it was an Aussie invention- isn't it also used in Europe? Thought I read about it on a Caravan site based in GB.

In any case, wherever it came from, it's brilliant. Brains instead of brawn- that's the ticket!

Francesca it is I think a German company but they have a development centre here in Melbourne for their products. It is a local innovation, that is being pushed world wide.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
From what I can see of the underside of the trailer in the O.P. (below), it looks like the trailer may have Al-Ko's very ingenious braking system that does practically all the work- and even the thinking- of stopping the trailer.

When equipped with "ATC", it even automatically controls sway by brake application. Demonstration at this link
I think this to be a much more efficient sway control method than the cumbersome hardware so many depend on in North American built trailers.

Francesca it was developed by Al Ko's development facility in Melbourne, that is why a lot of local Caravans are being fitted with it.Notice the braking and avoidance ability of the car towed lightweight sedan.
Al Ko Australian Research Centre stability control

I didn't realize it was an Aussie invention- isn't it also used in Europe? Thought I read about it on a Caravan site based in GB.

In any case, wherever it came from, it's brilliant. Brains instead of brawn- that's the ticket!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
From what I can see of the underside of the trailer in the O.P. (below), it looks like the trailer may have Al-Ko's very ingenious braking system that does practically all the work- and even the thinking- of stopping the trailer.

When equipped with "ATC", it even automatically controls sway by brake application. Demonstration at this link
I think this to be a much more efficient sway control method than the cumbersome hardware so many depend on in North American built trailers.

Francesca it was developed by Al Ko's development facility in Melbourne, that is why a lot of local Caravans are being fitted with it.Notice the braking and avoidance ability of the car towed lightweight sedan.
Al Ko Australian Research Centre stability control

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
@ Francesca K..

Ok.. I'll report back. I have already put in for the day off work. I'm realllly looking for to it even tho' I DREAD Seattle traffic. I may just park at Bainbridge, and ride the ferry over.
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure the Al-Ko or anything like it is being used by any N. American mfr.s - I'll be interested to hear if you do see it at the Seattle show.

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
The Dung Beetles wrote:
Sure.. it can tow it because it rolls ... but can it STOP IT??? Having hauled a lot of horses around the PNW (live shifting weight) - STOPPING is my fear of that set up!

One of the important differences in overseas-designed trailers is the way braking is provided for.

Ahhhhh! Like that concept a lot! We are going to hit the Seattle RV show in Feb 6-9. I hope they have some display units there with this concept. Hub would love to get a better look at that. I'm a super cautious/wary driver but... bad things can and do happen fast. My hope once I retire is to be RVing at least 3 -4 months out of the year. It never hurts to have as many safety features as possible when on the open roads. Thanks!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The Dung Beetles wrote:
Sure.. it can tow it because it rolls ... but can it STOP IT??? Having hauled a lot of horses around the PNW (live shifting weight) - STOPPING is my fear of that set up!

One of the important differences in overseas-designed trailers is the way braking is provided for.

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
Sure.. it can tow it because it rolls ... but can it STOP IT??? Having hauled a lot of horses around the PNW (live shifting weight) - STOPPING and/or having to maneuver away from some idiot fast is my fear of that set up!

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A unit-body vehicle is stronger than any comparable body-on-frame. The latter is simply cheaper to build. Same for an aero, all-aluminum TT over the buggy-sprung white plastic boxes. Design makes for superiority. Does more with less.

A mid-60's big-block Chrysler sedan is pretty much a better TV than any current pickup. Add a few safety features of today and it would be a walk-away.

Sad that todays buyer -- with no idea of the history of travel trailers -- believes that a pickup is not only better, but the only choice altogether. And as a result spends more to have less . . as the day in and day out costs of running a pickup are higher than a car. Not to mention being less safe in any circumstance.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
MontanaCamper wrote:
When we were over in the UK visiting my wifes brother and his family. Their neighbor had a boxy square diesel wagon that towed a 22' single axle trailer..he said he towed it up to Ireland, we were in Edinburgh. I asked him how it towed, he said we didn't set any land speed records, but were not the slowest either...they don't push it. He had 14" brakes (metric of course..I measured with a US dollar bill. I told him what I towed with and what I towed (pic below) he said hop in..we will take it for ride and get a nip...soon as we got in the country he let me drive...Man, that boxy square wagon was snappy...lots of horse power. Was a 4 banger with a turbo and a 5 speed. Felt a lot like my friends supra when I was shifting through the gears.

UK's cars have a lot more spunk then the US that's for sure...I'm sure the Ozzy's are the same...

made this disbeliever...believe.....

So are you saying an engine that makes it's torque at low rpm (due to high compression pressure and direct fuel injections) is more suitable for towing...even if it isn't in a one tun dually?

Oh oh...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug33 wrote:
The major issue with towing using a car nowadays is not necessarily the power, it is that they are not actually framed vehicles.

Ditto. The cars in the day. Had real frames, and that makes a big difference.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers