cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You can tow it with a car

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Not all Australian Touring Caravans weigh 8000lb, there are lightweight single axle models, like this 4,200lb , 22ft version that can be easily towed by a car.

73 REPLIES 73

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
This is about as slow anyone gets(no matter what the tow vehicle) going up a steepish incline.Any slower and you would be holding up traffic.
Caravan being towed up steepish incline.
That guy is on the wrong side of the road! ๐Ÿ˜‰

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

A case of a very good set up. European caravans are very lightweight(well at least to us) and do well on paved roads(not so happy unpaved ones}

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Alot of people here are stuck thinking a truck is the only vehicle you can use to tow any trailer, including me! However there are a lot of capeable cars out there.

People here prefer diesel SUV's, for quite a few reasons.You find that some TV's are surprisingly good at towing and have advantages over a pickup.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alot of people here are stuck thinking a truck is the only vehicle you can use to tow any trailer, including me! However there are a lot of capeable cars out there.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tom M. wrote:
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should.

It should if it is fairly easy to do, like the above is. "White Knuckle" rides are not condoned no matter what the tow vehicle and RV type.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the mid '50s my dad towed a 45' mobile home from northern Minnesota to the Minneapolis area with his 1950 Studebaker 1/2 ton pickup with a flat head 6 engine. Early Airstream ads showed one of their trailers being towed with a bicycle. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This is about as slow anyone gets(no matter what the tow vehicle) going up a steepish incline.Any slower and you would be holding up traffic.
Caravan being towed up steepish incline.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open your minds - if using the proper materials it can be done - and it looks like it IS being done. All TT's in the pictures severley outclass anything thats made here. Look at the one above - it has a bug screen for towing.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Robert - I take it Australia is pretty flat where caravaners typically travel .

No. You see them climbing fairly steep hills with the above combinations and they are not in many cases changing down.Heavier Caravans , yes need substantially more capable tow vehicles , but not these.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Robert - I take it Australia is pretty flat where caravaners typically travel ...?
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
gates59 wrote:
A mid sized truck would have a hard time with this. So no a car can not tow these.

You would be in for a shock to the system if you came here or went to Europe. Cars do happily tow these at a 60-70mph cruising speed. In Europe they are generally smaller and have a set speed limit of 60mph on freeways., but you get 24ft one that are toed by Volvo's, Mercedes etc. You maybe right about NA midsize pickups, but cars are towing these and similar lightweight PopTop Caravans the length and breadth of Australia.
This European Caravan is 26ft long and has a max weight of 4,400lb.

wmoses wrote:
I think they must make very powerful cars down under. Either that or the philosophy regarding towing is radically different. I personally would not pull any 4000# trailer with a car. Small popup maybe (been there done that) but did not really like it, even where the popup was under 1500#

It sounds like you would have equally the same problem. I wonder if your pickups have that much use as tow vehicles if they struggle with these lightweight things?

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I think they must make very powerful cars down under. Either that or the philosophy regarding towing is radically different. I personally would not pull any 4000# trailer with a car. Small popup maybe (been there done that) but did not really like it, even where the popup was under 1500#.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

gates59
Explorer
Explorer
A mid sized truck would have a hard time with this. So no a car can not tow these.