cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your biggest truck camper mistake?

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out on the road in a couple of days, for our first long trip with our new to us truck camper (having previously owned and travelled extensively with a travel trailer).

What is/was your biggest truck camper mistake?

Hopefully, we can learn from other's mistakes. I'm feeling excited but a bit nervous about travelling with the truck camper as opposed to a travel trailer.

Thanks!
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
56 REPLIES 56

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
Backing under a low hanging branch and poking a hole in my roof

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not doing a dpf delete.

Not checking batteries before the trip.

Not bringing enough bottled water.

Not binging binoculars and spotting scope.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is/was your biggest truck camper mistake?

Selling it!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Selling my 2012 Adventurer 86 FB.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling the truck out from under the camper without disconnecting the umbilical cord. Luckily it didn't do much damage. Enjoy your camper!
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dad forgot about the tailgate being open when turning around. Grandad's elm tree 1, tailgate no score.:B

ramlinwillie
Explorer
Explorer
Selling my Lance 821!
04 F250 FX4 CC Lariat SB, Rhino Lining 6.0L V-8 Diesel TorqShift auto Camper Package-Rear Stabilizer Bar,Aux Springs, Rancho RS900X, Timbrems, Goodyear 245/70R19.5G, Pullrite SuperGlide, 2005 CedarCreek Silverback,2003 F350, 2007 Outfitter Apex 9.5

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I had the big extended length camper several years ago, which the rear jacks hung low on, I hit a series of large road cones with the right rear jack in a construction zone. It didn't tear the jack off, but it did tear the lower mount out of the plywood and damage it, plus bend the jack a little.

On the same camper, which was missing one of the roof vent covers, I had put a piece of plywood over the vent hole and a large rock on top of the plywood to keep the wind from blowing it off. Well, later on, I forgot about the plywood and the rock and I drove it down the road. When I got to where I was going, I remembered about it. I went on the roof to check it and both the rock and the plywood were gone. Hopefully someone behind me didn't get a large rock on their hood or through their windshield!

Again, on the same camper, I had put a bicycle inside the camper in the main hallway, leaning against the counter. The bicycle moved while I was driving and turned on the gas control for the stove. When I got to where I was going, I opened the camper door and was about knocked out by the gas smell. Fortunately, nothing lit on fire. I learned then to shut off the propane tank while driving.

Also on the same camper, when I was first bringing it home, I didn't have tie downs for it yet. I thought, I'm only going a short distance in town, I'll drive carefully and it will be fine. It was fine for most of the trip, until right before I to my neighborhood. Someone pulled out in front of me and I had to brake hard. The camper slammed forward and bent the front wall of the truck bed and dented the cab. Later on, I ended up having to unbolt the bed, lift it up and pull it back, remove the front bed wall, straighten it and then pound a pipe into the upper lip/channel, which was round and perfectly sized to fit a pipe into, to strengthen it, weld a piece of steel angle along the bottom where the bolts tore out, then put it all back together. I've never hauled a camper without tiedowns since then.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
My most spectacular mistake so far was laying the propane igniter gun used to light the oven on the stovetop grill ... with one of the burners going. Kaboom! Gave me a good scare but luckily didn't do any serious damage. Of course you already know how to handle nearly every aspect of traveling with a truck camper after your years with a travel trailer. One thing I can thing of that is different is that truck camper rigs are taller than travel trailer rigs so you have to know your height and watch for anything you won't fit under.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Always make sure that the front is higher when raising or lowering, you don't want to tip it forward.

Biggest mistake buying a TC, much happier with a small 20' TT.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the camper's jacks to level the rig make sure you remember to release/loosen the tie-downs. Then remember to reattach them properly before driving away.

Don't forget the TC sits a LOT higher then your travel trailer did so watch your overhead clearances.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
I no longer own a truck camper...that was my biggest mistake, selling it.
Calm down though. With your extensive experience with a travel trailer, I'd say your worries are none. If you use the campers jacks to stabilize when camped, as some do, don't forget to retract them before heading down the road.
Enjoy your truck camper.

ryoung

I no longer own the truck and TC in my signature.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840