cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
Had a decent amount of progress this morning. I drilled out all the rivets of the lower bathroom interior skin and that is now removed. Removed the aluminum angle trim on either side of the door and the interior bathroom window frame. Started on the drivers side rear but was not energized enough to start removing all the wires in the breaker box so I quit. Have to watch some football ! One thing that surprised me was how rotted the plywood backer for the exterior handle to the right of the door was ! I'm wondering if that was the leak path that killed the floor ? It literally falls apart when you touch it. So that will be replaced I'm surprised they used plywood why not a piece of pine or hardwood ? Varnish the snot out of it should live a 100 years. My goal it to have the rear section of floor cut out and replaced by the end of October.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
rfuerst911sc wrote:
There are lots of ideas in my head, am I going to add solar ? How many batteries ? 6 volt or 12 ? What am I going to use for a toilet/black tank as the OEM is shot. I want to add a grey water tank. I am going to refinish all of the original wood cabinets. What will I use for a floor finish ? All LP lines will be new. I'm going to add Corian counter top in the kitchen . What color will I paint the interior ? You guys have all gone down this road so I'm preaching to the choir. But I'm a one man army so the pace is slow/steady. I've rebuilt cars,boats,motorcycles etc. so I am not intimidated by long builds. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel !

These are similar questions I had, and when I bought my Avion, it was at a similar state to where you almost are. Mine had the structural fixed, and the. Leaks fixed. But the only original pieces that came with it were th upper cabinets, the sink a nd a few other bits and pieces.... So you might have a few more original bits, but you can choose what you reuse, and what you replace. Like the bathroom, you can go original, and build a replacement tank, you could go the inexpensive route, and go with a porta-potti, you could go with a composting toilet, you could go with a recirculating toilet or a cassette toilet. So many ideas, so many options. As you replace the floor at the wings you may want to make a decision at least which direction you might be going. A flat floor will work for most of the options, but the raised floor will be needed for the OEM. Good luck how ever you proceed, but if you have any questions about what each option offers, let us know!
Good luck!
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
rfuerst911sc ,

Yes you certainly have to address all the structural needs before venturing out , and any water leaks . What Garry and I were referring to was down the road , before it is 100% finished , give it a try and go camping . It's a good test to see if all your pre-planning works in actual practice .

Almost all of the things you are planning to do have been done by someone on this thread . I am sure you will have your own take on it but it gives you a pretty good idea of what is involved in each of those phases .When I started I was pretty much running blind , no one was out there yet . I still can't get over the number of creative and talented folks on this thread . With your experience restoring other things I'm sure you will do a great job on the Avion .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to be able to use mine but I'm so far along it basically needs everything replaced before I could so I might as well have the goal to finish it. My first goal is to make it structurally sound. I have replaced the wood on both sides that make up the kitchen and goucho. Now I'm moving onto the rear section by the door, yesterday I determined I'm going to cut the floor back 30 " from the door which gets me to the back of the wings. That's a good place to tie in structurally. After that I'll move to the overhead sleep area. All of these area's were obviously affected by water intrusion so I not only have to fix the wood but eliminate the leak paths. There are lots of ideas in my head, am I going to add solar ? How many batteries ? 6 volt or 12 ? What am I going to use for a toilet/black tank as the OEM is shot. I want to add a grey water tank. I am going to refinish all of the original wood cabinets. What will I use for a floor finish ? All LP lines will be new. I'm going to add Corian counter top in the kitchen . What color will I paint the interior ? You guys have all gone down this road so I'm preaching to the choir. But I'm a one man army so the pace is slow/steady. I've rebuilt cars,boats,motorcycles etc. so I am not intimidated by long builds. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel !

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
That has been my approach also Garry . It's too easy for me to get lost in the project and forget the goal , USING IT .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
rfuerst911sc wrote:
I know I easily have a year to two years worth of work ahead of me to finish every last detail but that does not deter me.

It takes courage, persistence, patience, money and vision to restore these antique campers. Thats why everyone of them is unique -

As I have mentioned before. Some try to finish everything before using their TC, but if you are able to get it far enough to use it, it gives you some satisfaction and encouragement to stay the course. It also gives you some direction as far as what changes make you happy, and what changes need a little but of tweaking...

Mine is still a work in progress, yet we use it as much as we can. And that is what makes it fun!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
rfuerst911sc wrote:
I know I easily have a year to two years worth of work ahead of me to finish every last detail but that does not deter me.

It takes courage, persistence, patience, money and vision to restore these antique campers. Thats why everyone of them is unique -

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
67Avion you are correct I'm into it deep now. I am motivated by the fact I think this floor repair is the worst hurdle I need to get over. The entire interior has been removed ( minus skins ). After I get this rear floor section done I then move to the cab over section and that will complete all structural work. Then I can start putting her back together. I have new AC to go on the roof, going to redesign the interior a little, add a second battery and design/build aluminum black and grey water holding tanks. I know I easily have a year to two years worth of work ahead of me to finish every last detail but that does not deter me.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, you sound like you're really into it now. But, it won't be long until this particularly irksome repair is complete. I really dreaded it before we tore it all out, but we have not had a moments problem with the system since.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

69cayo
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 1/8" on mine, worked good.
Keep in mind that the 1/8" hole for the rivets is actually a "hair" bigger now because of how the pop rivet expands.

Dennis

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone remember what size drill bit you used to drill out interior rivets ?

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
Today I was able to remove the bustle and all of the plumbing that was under there. Sure was interesting looking at a " repair " someone did in the past to the main sewer line.........a piece of aluminum dryer duct piping stuffed into the black ABS pipe. To make that perfect seal they wrapped with duct tape, wound in both directions ! Then covered with a mesh type band clamp she's a beauty !!! And the black tank has some interesting looking repairs also consisting of goop.......then more goop.....topped off with goop ! So that tank may be toast but I was planning on making an aluminum tank anyway. I braced what was left of the floor with plywood and 2 x 4's so I can at least walk into the coach. Now I have to start drilling out a******load of rivets so I can get to all of the lower screws holding the rotten floor on. I'm hoping I can get by with cutting about 20-24 " back from the door and piecing in a new floor. I'll cut it from one side to the other and replace. Fun times ahead.:p

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, along with several others on this string, wrote quite a bit about the bustle and dump valves and toilet, etc., back when. I'll try to find the dates that they were posted. It may be helpful to you.

We repaired the floor first of course, having taken everything out, including the toilet and pipes. We reinforced the floor attaching metal stiffeners that reach further under the coach. Take many pictures along the way to remind yourself where in the world that things go. You WILL have issues reassembling the bustle and its trim.

On edit: Take a look at the work of Avion C11 on 11/13/11 and continuing on for a number of posts.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
garryk6 wrote:
I just pulled the C-10 off so that I can get some much needed maintenance done to my F350. It needs ball joints, U-joints, and inspect bearings. It needs brakes checked out, e-brake fixed, and then just normal oil/fluids changed... I also found the front axle u-bolts a bit loose, but can't loosen or tighten... So I am ordering up new front U-bolts. I am getting this stuff all fixed since snow may be flying soon, so along with all that, I need to get the plow all ready too...

Not exactly fun stuff, but necessary.

Garry

The floor by the door is a real mess, I'll have to find the leak path that the previous owner ignored. They " fixed " it by putting a piece of masonite over the existing linoleum floor and installing carriage bolts through the floor !!! What a mess. And NONE of the carriage bolts held they all spun so I had to dig out the floor under the heads so I could grip with Vise grips. Good time ! But they are out now I still have some stubborn screws to remove around the perimeter of the bustle. Also the dump valve looks like I have to cut it off before the opening in the bustle would pass by. Not a big deal as I plan on all new plumbing tanks,lines and fittings.