cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Ah Ha! A "Western Meet Up" In September!!! Muley point beckons.

Well that might just work...since no one wanted to come to florida, (not that I dont understand):)
Even more impetus to get the "Armadillo" (as we call her) on the road.

Lets do it!
yeh mon

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah Ha! A "Western Meet Up" In September!!! Muley point beckons.

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
D1,
No one can be blamed for asking if the Argo might be, perhaps, amphibious?

Few would even doubt you if you said yes. Especially with that Honda.

Excellent shakedown thru some prime real estate. Im hoping to launch my next attempt at Muley Pt. via Bullfrog and seeing your pictures adds inspiration. Glad the trip was a success.

Thanks Rastaman, Thats great progress on your end as well. You'll be on the road in no time. Maybe a western meetup this year if I can get outta here early enough?
1968 Avion C-11
1993 Dodge D250 LE Cummins

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
D1trout....what an awesome rig...happy for you and the progress you have been making.

Silver..loved your interview with ATC..it was still interesting even though I had followed your rebuild with keen interest...

As for my progress?...Well I put the C10 on the truck yesterday, for the first time since the 'rebuild'. Sorted out the 'tie downs', got some measurements for any extra space between truck bed and overhang.
then took the camper back off.
Next time loaded, we should be ready to test that baby with a 'out west' trip. aiming for early September.

yeh mon!

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Great Trip Report!

I highly recommend this plan of attack for any Avion purchaser. Get your Avion "functional" and go use it for a few short trips. Then make some more improvements, then use it again and see what works well and what needs attention. Each person has different preferences and needs, so this forum has provided hundreds if not thousands of ideas and options for the Avion TC owner, but still lets each owner make there own decisions!

Happy Camping!!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll see you in Muley Point!

D

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow Avionistas, I am pleased to report that Annie and I have just returned from Argo's first road trip, a 2000 mile loop thru the Southwest, to Lake Powell at Bullfrog for 4 days of houseboating, then back thru Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase Escalante. Lots of freeway miles too!

We drove the Waterpocket Fold road and the Burr Trail switchbacks. That should be on every Avionistas' to be driven list, right up with Muley Point and the Moki Dugway.

The '13 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 diesel - "Big Bad Truck" as he's known in the family - was ideal for carrying Argo. I hardly felt the weight. I could accelerate like crazy anytime. Averaged 16MPG for the trip. The Airlift airbags on the rear axle worked like a charm to adjust the ride and clearance.

Everything in the rig stayed together, moved as a unit, was squeakless and creakless. The dust intrusion was very minimal, in spite of my not having finished caulking ALL the seams. No water leaks. This marks the finish of stage 1, the outside is complete. I rigged the inside to make it comfortable for the trip with seating surfaces and the swing out table, but Argo is without inner cabinetry, water, electrics and propane. No appliances installed yet. The camper alone currently weighs 1700 pounds. I learned that I can take him on an outing without everything being perfectly set up and have a great experience. The inner skin is next and then systems and cabinetry.

Here are some pics:
Approaching Bullfrog Marina, we stopped for a long look. Ck out the Honda mounted on the back. It confused some folks along the way who wondered if Argo was amphibious...

The Honda was used on the Avon Sportboat we used to zip around exploring the side canyons, birding and fishing

The houseboat seemed a continuation of traveling in Argo - the ability to get into remote and secluded spots and live comfortably there.

The Waterpocket Fold drive and the Burr Trail Switchbacks were a high point for us. You drive into the mouth of the canyon and can't imagine how you are going to get out. Then you go up and up and up and pop out with a long view of the Henry Mountains to the east.

It really was steep - and a very cool drive.

You may well ask why, being less than 100 miles from Muley Point, I didn't go there. I'm saving that for the completed camper.
Onward! (at last...)

Oh yeah, and as Cajun Avion has said, every gas stop is a press conference. Lots of interesting questions and feedback. The Park Service gal controlling traffic at the east end of the long tunnel in Zion stopped us and chatted for 10" about Argo, while the line of cars behind us got longer and longer.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
South... for Olympic rivets, try Airparts in Kansas at airpartsinc.com. They have had them when everyone else was out. They are, incidentally, a great source of all things related to working with aluminum skin construction.

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
Silver and D1,
I think I'll go with stainless screws as suggested. Aluminum machine screws have proven difficult to locate, at least locally. The marker lights take a #8 and the STT take a #10 machine screw. My local Fastenal had the #8 rivnuts in stock, and ordered the #10. They had the splined body low profile head ones, just like Vintage sells, for a comparable price. The grip range is 0.020-.130". That should get a bite on the outer skin.
The STT lights have two old rivet holes that they won't cover. I tried to order some Olympic rivets to fill the holes, but they appear to be out of stock every where I look. My plan was to install them all and rent a shaved later in the process.
Thanks for the replies.

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
South...I have used stainless fasteners in all my connections in Argo that aren't riveted. As SP observed, its not a boat and issues with galvanic action are going to be minimal. I might add that I coat the threads with Lanocote to make the screws seat easily and provide a bit more corrosion protection. For what its worth...

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with rivnuts in thin sheet metal but if they will work with the thickness of the skin, I say go for it. It would be my preference to use SS fasteners instead of aluminum wherever possible for strength. Galvanic corrosion doesn't worry me as much on an Avion as on a boat.
Another option might be to rivet small pieces of metal to the camper where the lights will go. Maybe 3/32" plate with threaded holes for machine screws. This is how my original STT lights are attached but the plate is steel.
1968 Avion C-11

Southedistoman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we spent the weekend camping in our TT, so not much progress to report. I decided that the wings the PO rebuilt weren't up to snuff, so took them out and rebuilt them last week. Three layers of 1/2" exterior grade ply, screwed and glued, and epoxy coated on the bottom, sides and around the outside edge of the top. The recent rain showed me some leaks around the side windows (the reason for the re-rotted wings). Some Trempro 635 and parabond, as well as new window rubber, are currently inbound.
UPS delivered new marker lights and new 8" oval STT lights on Friday so they are on the list once the sealant gets here. One question I have is mounting the lights. They are surface mount, and I don't think I can get a rivet in there. I can't find aluminum sheet metal screws small enough locally. I was thinking rivnuts and aluminum machine screws, but am not sure. Ideas?

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
SP, that's good work. I am especially impressed by your 300 watt solar system. I have around 200 watts and it seems that's adequate. But, an additional 100 watts would be sweet.
Now we should start organizing folks for an Avionista Meet Up. Surely folks who have these machines have a lot in common.

SilverPompadour
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, Southedistoman. That sounds like two projects that could result in two solid campers. Double your pleasure!

67 You always blow me away with your photos. Those desert sunrise/sunsets are really hard to beat. A little wet wood isn't gonna take the Zen out of that. Glad you were able to keep truckin'.
Im just really hoping you're wrong about leaks being payback for enjoying our campers. After this past year of fun and adventure, I'll need an Ark!

Thanks for all the compliments on my interview with Mellow Mike from TCA, I declined to post about it as you were all virtual participants on the build and already familiar with the story. A story which continues on.

Only an Avionista would Whynter-ize their camper in April. FM45G
For now, the bike that used to reside here will just hang out in the middle of the camper while underway.

To help the Whynter keep the beer cold I added

Two 150W HQST Mono solar panels. I remember saying I did not want to mount them on the roof but in the end, the pros outweighed the cons. I went with the 2 x 150w config because the panel size of 39" x 40" worked well between the vents while not sticking out the sides too much. They also sit 3/4" below my closed vents so they add no additional height to the roof, at least in the middle.

For the wire entry, I used and old stern light from a boat. The wires pass through two separate holes at an upward angle hopefully preventing most water intrusion. We'll have to see about this one.

But that's not all.

I cut off the bed extension and restored the overhang bed to it's original size. The queen size was just not needed and the extension wasted valuable backrest space below.

Much more comfortable for sitting. The black box with all the wires protruding from the wall where the bed meets the kitchen counter is the new solar charge controller. I was going to save this write up until that was properly mounted but they shorted me the surface mount bezel so why wait?

The new Whynter fridge is running on 100% solar power despite the fact that the sun has not come out since fedex dropped off the panels and one of my two group 27's is pretty much smoked. This week I'm going to swap out the 27s for a couple GC2 or 2400 from Interstate. Just cant bring myself to pony up for the Lifelines.
1968 Avion C-11

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Southedistoman, great to hear from you. Yes, its been slow on the Avion string. I have to admit I've been a bit distracted this Spring while I work through a construction project. And it looks like most of the other Avionistas are quiet, except of course for Ticki2. As to D1, I don't know. We keep sort of agreeing to meet at Muley Point. Then he upgrades his rig as if he's on the staff of Elon Musk.

In the meantime, the Silver Pompadour positively ruled with his 7,000 mile Avion Grand Tour that included Muley Point. He has a terrific write up in "Truck Camper Adventure". I read the piece and came away marveling how such smart folks are a part of our world.

It sounds like you have a significant restoration in front of you. I'm assuming that its not a renovation since you have most of 2 units to effect your project. Keep us up to date with photos and commentary. That'll wake up the drowsing Avionistas.

I had another of my mishaps while on the Western swing with Sweet Jane and Hula, the wonder dog. I don't recall if I mentioned it. I was fueling up the truck and noticed water dripping from the wing on the drivers side. Water? I said. Then I looked to the right and there appeared to be an opening under the wing just in front of the rear jack plate. (I don't carry the jacks with me). It was one of those moments when you're not clearly computing. "Jane" I said, "it looks like something blew up inside the coach, or something hit here. See the shards of metal under the wing hanging down?" I actually pictured, for a nanosecond, a bullet colliding with the beloved Avion.

Well, folks, my rear tie down had ripped out. The Torklift Turnbuckle had disappeared as well. I stuck my finger under the wing and into the hole....and it was wet. Rotten wood came out. I didn't know where this was heading, but at that moment I'm going Zen. I'm not worrying about it. I'm traveling on to California (and Mexico). And so we did.

I am definitely not looking forward to tackling this repair. The area of the wing is directly below my refrigerator. The active water leak turned out to be a bad fitting from my hot water heater.

So its either my hot water leak over a long time or the fridge or who knows what? Leaks are payback from the Gods for the good times we have camping in our Avions.