cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing soft floor in my wolf creek

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, after many many nights in my TC the 1/4” floor in my wolf creek is becoming soft in and around the kitchen area. Apparently the 1/4” floor can’t really accommodate my 200+ weight cooking in the kitchen and stepping down from the cabover!! a lot of LOL!!!
I don’t think this topic has really come up and of course it’s not something I focused on when looking and buying. I remember a thread from someone saying “that is all you need” well I need to fix this before it gets worse so my question is?

What do I do? The best fix I am looking at is to pull the bottom off, remove the fresh water tank and reinforce the floor which is going to be a Pain. Any other ideas?
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
27 REPLIES 27

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't think you can have 1/4" there. More likely 3/8" or even 1/2"
Regardless, I have/had 2 TC who closing on 20 years still supported my 220lb weight just fine.
I think you had water intrusion who broke bond between the floor and frame.
Or maybe lousy gluing job.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesn’t look like it’s damaged. Have you thought about adding cross bracing from below? That would probably be a lot easier. But, I’d still give the manufacturer a shout.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I have PDF copies of the entire WC850 frame drawings, here is a screenshot of the floor. I'm not seeing any cross bracing where your soft spot is.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

I'm wondering where you got your pdf files. I asked Northwood for those files and the service department said they don't have digital copies of them. I'm looking for diagrams for my 2014 850 long box so I can do some repairs. 

@LFos wrote:

I'm wondering where you got your pdf files. I asked Northwood for those files and the service department said they don't have digital copies of them. I'm looking for diagrams for my 2014 850 long box so I can do some repairs. 

I messaged you.  The forum won't let me attach PDF files.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

Thanks! Replied to your message. 

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
I am not terribly convinced that Northwood would use a 1/4 piece of plywood as the floor material. That thin of wood won't support much weight at all.

I do have access to the basement from the cabover step

Basically they have the flooring laid on top of a 1/4” piece of something then block styrofoam with another piece of 1/4” something (not sure if I would call it plywood) supported by the aluminum trusses spaced every 3 feet I believe.

It appears to be the same type of construction in the roof heres a pic of the roof when I removed the vent and installed some fans

And here is where the soft spot is
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well is it the joists or the plywood that’s fatigued? Assuming not rotten.
I’d strip off the linoleum or whatever and add another sub floor or whatever. Seem way easier to raise the floor say 1/2” than tear the camper apart.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Install laminate flooring over the vinyl, that'll add strength.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I am not terribly convinced that Northwood would use a 1/4 piece of plywood as the floor material. That thin of wood won't support much weight at all.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’d think about adding starboard or aluminum plate. 1/4 inch is pretty thin. Depending on how hard it is to get to the floor, I’d try to replace as much as you can. There is also many different finishes of vinyl flooring that could be used to update the look to even a “wood” flooring look if you wanted.

But, before I’d do that ... I’d call the manufacturer if not for them standing behind it, but at least for information on what they think is the best way to fix it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or get a metal plate and cover the area with that and a decent rug

Explorer
Explorer
Why do people say they have soft floors? THEY ARE ROTTEN. If it is rotten find the leak first and then rip out all the floors and replace.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.