cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Tie Downs

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

I’ve been using the Torklift Fast guns on my truck camper for the past 11 years, but the camper has aged so has the tie down points.  I really don’t feel comfortable putting  the downward pressure the Torklift tie downs inflict on the camper, I think they say, properly adjusted its a 300 lb force on each corner.  I am starting to see the tie down point sag ever so slightly under that pressure.  300 lbs of force seems a bit excessive to me.

Do the Happi Jack tie-downs exert less?  Can the threaded rods on the TL Fastguns be used in the HappiJac tie down bodies?

Thanks,

Mr. E

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Similar to other responses, if you’re worried about tightening up your tie downs, the problem isn’t with the tiedowns. 
Never even considered the actual tension force. Just good n snug, ie just snug enough to keep the camper from sliding around. 
Either fix the camper or ease up on the tension, until it moves on you and tighten up a bit more from there. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

Thanks for all your valuable input.  i addressed beefing up the camper to tie down connection by having a steel plate welded to the tie down points that I then drilled holes through and inserted toggle bolts through the bottom of the camper.  This way any force is distributed over a much wider area.  I agree with Grit-dog, I just make sure they are snug and check them now and again.  looks to be working….  Again, thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

You will find keeping even tension on all four turnbuckles reduces your camper from shifting. There will still be those washboard roads with a high crown that cause chaos, but much less when each camper corner is equally secured.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Similar to other responses, if you’re worried about tightening up your tie downs, the problem isn’t with the tiedowns. 
Never even considered the actual tension force. Just good n snug, ie just snug enough to keep the camper from sliding around. 
Either fix the camper or ease up on the tension, until it moves on you and tighten up a bit more from there. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III

The tie downs are supposed to keep the camper in place, even in an emergency situation. If the camper structure is too soft to anchor it down safely, I would be more worried about the camper than the tiedowns.

Personally, I don't think switching over to the Happijac tiedowns will make a difference.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

I'll agree with @MORSNOW if 300lbs of force is causing an issue then the fast guns are not the issue, I probably get closer to 4-500 lbs with my bottle screw tie downs.  if you think about it your stopping a 3000+ lb object from shifting around in your truck bed.  find out why its flexing and see if that is an issue or not.  if not your done, if it is an issue then you have to figure out how to fix it.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II

If the anchor points are pulling out of the camper, you need to address that issue, not the Fastguns.  You may have rot in the camper where the anchors are attached that needs to be repaired/replaced. 

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded