cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,293 REPLIES 32,293

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

We really like Modoc and this particular campsite. We are close to the Old Fella Trail that leads to the other loop where he visited Bonnie and Clyde every morning when they were camping on site 29

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
That does not look good. Do you know what is leaking. When I bought our Mobile Suites I had a leak like that on our trip home but would have needed a bigger bucket. Bathroom sink cold water line separated from the faucet.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Yep. it goes back to Camping World Wednesday.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're back. Had a great time. Love Modoc.

Wife Sue

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

It's been slow around here lately. I hope everyone had a great Easter. I had family and friends over (19 people in my house) on Saturday. I got up a 3:45am and put on 25lbs of brisket on the smoker. Then later in the day I put on a bunch of chicken. Everyone ate good and we had a great time seeing family.

My poor Jack Russell (Murphy) has been itching and biting herself for the last several months. We've done just about everything we can think of to give her relief but she is still tearing herself up. She has just about pulled all her hair off her legs. I have been so busy with tax season that I just haven't had time to take her to the vet. I finally made an appointment for her today and took her to my mom's house early this morning before work. She will be taking her to the vet this afternoon. Hopefully the vet can give her something to tame whatever condition is making her skin itch so much.

Two more days until tax season is over! Things should then slow down for me for awhile.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. WE are about to leave for Modoc for the weekend. Worried about Hobo as she is limping on her front leg. Suzie is fine as is Izzie. I had a wild night last night. So many weird dreams all at one time, just crazy.

The camper is packed except for a few things, Sue had to run out for some last minute items and then we will be on the road.

Sandy the moon was pink wasn't it. Glad you got some pictures of it yourself. I have seen a blue moon but never a pink one until now. Pink is the color of universal love. Pink represents friendship, affection. harmony, inner peace. This is Passion week leading into Palm Sunday as we celebrate our risen Lord. Maybe this is His sign of love to remind us as a Nation we need to turn back to Him. His love and shed blood is what saved us and held Him to the cross.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't find a car to steal in the parking lot? Years ago, I had a friend who owned a German Shepherd named Patriot (named after the missile ) who could open doors. She had to lock the doors to keep him from opening them.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very smart dog opening doors to escape animal hospital.

Smart Dog
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. It has taken me a long time perhaps five to six months to figure why I could not post some pictures on the thread from photobucket. I noticed the pictures that were not able to post had some symbols in it like a percentage mark. Some time try to post something to the thread with the percentage icon in it. Anyway when I would name the photos when down loading to my computer that is when the trouble would come. If I don't name the photo file and let the computer name it all is well. So from now on I will not name my photos files and let the computer do it.

What a beautiful day. We have so many beautiful birds in our yard this year. The problem is they perch on the truck and the car leaving droppings on them and I am having to wash them off about two or three times a day. I guess it is no big deal in the big picture of things. God made the birds for our enjoyment so I guess that little bit of washing off the vehicles isn't that big of a deal.

Today I will pull the camper up next to the house and start loading it for our trip tomorrow. Scot is so excited to be taking his Dad fishing Saturday morning. The last time we went together was about 1987. So I will be fishing with my son and looking for bushes I can get out of the boat and pee:E

The fur gang is well and happy. Izzie seems to be improving. Hobo is not. She fell yesterday on one of our walks. Her rear hips are getting worse. Other than that she is healthy and alert. I hate it when the hips start to go. The rest of the body is fine, but the rear just won't support the weight. Mama was still just as sharp as she could be and so was Peaches. The hips just gave out and that was the end. Peaches had other problems such as loss of hearing, dementia, loss of vision and she was not able to control her bowls at times. But she still had that attitude of lets play.

The moon was beautiful when it first started to rise last night. I have never seen a pink moon before. As soon as it got high in the sky it was its normal color. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Richard, that little bluebird is just stunning! What great renewal we see every spring.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I didn't see that coming. At this time were finding ourselves totally petless. Not even a fish, I've always had a fish tank.
Our last dog was Tippy a Mix Terrier/chihuahua/beagle. And my best friend. She would wait everyday at the door with her ball, waiting for me to get home. How I miss that girl.
But we have had the privilege of having our GrandDog for the last 6/7 years staying regularly at our house. And all summer long, Oh ya the 3 grandkids came too. Lol We miss them all as they recently moved to South Carolina. Ya they took the dog...Oh his name is Squirrel he's a mix Mini Black poodle/ chihuahua. An he Loves his Grampa. First thing we did was play ball. He comes flying across the room an leaps into my lap. He thinks he's a flying Squirrel. LOL
I'll be checking on the Tennessee gathering to see if we can make it, I know we would love it.
Again thank you for the welcome.
Jerry

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our pink moon tonight from our patio.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most beautiful Blue Bird in our yard

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon Jerry, It is a pleasure to have a new reader of the thread.The DW and I were fortunate to adopt the sister of Richard's Suzie. Of the 5 puppies rescued I have had the pleasure to have met 4 of them. We also had for 7 years another southern belle that Richard provided. Unfortunately she has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. She was a yellow Lab that had been hit by a motor vehicle and left laying along the road for dead. When Richard and Sue got her she had teeth broken, dislocated hip, and many sutures in 3 out of 4 legs. Richard and Sue were presented this animal who spent the rest of the evening in their kitchen. They warmed towels tried to keep her from getting in any deeper shock. Said if she made it through the night we would take her to the vet. The rest is history at least for 7 yea . It had to be a better life than she was having along side the road.

As others have said, all would love to meet you and greet you into the FOOF family. The campgrounds in Sevierville is a nice campgrounds and the owners are excellent. You can see the info on the camping thread. The actual rally is scheduled for a week and quite a few are staying the next week just to bum around and see some sights.
Again Welcome and hope to see you at the rally.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member