cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

Dandie_Dinmont
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss, old fella certainly had a lot of love and a lot of people who cared for him.
Len, Rebecca & MacDuff

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Animal Emergency Clinic

This is the link to the emergency clinic that we took Old Fella to Saturday night. Diana Phillips DVM was the attending doctor. She was the most caring vet I have ever had the experience to meet. Her compassion for what she does came through in every thing she did.

I am so grateful that we had such a personal professional taking care of Old Fella and also taking care of our needs at the same time. She made things a lot easier.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am so saddened by Old Fella's passing. It's been a long time since I've had tears rolling down my face, but here they are. I never had the pleasure of meeting Old Fella, and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you, Richard and Sue. I am sure, though, that Old Fella and you have touched me and my family as if we were fast, close friends. I can only wish you strength and comfort and pleasant memories. In our family, Rocky the Yorkie, Ivan and Sweetie Pie the rabbits, and Buddy and Buster the rats, are all rescues and we owe that to you. Thank you and G-d bless you in this difficult moment.
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in contact with Richard and Sue and now I want to ask assistance from all the Friends Of Old Fella. I want to compile a book of pictures and short excerpts from anyone that had their life changed or have adopted a dog from the Old Fella Rescue. Also short excerpts from those that have had their lives changed due to "1 old dog" and the Daniels Family. I ask that you send these to me in the form of an e-mail with a picture attached as a jpeg. After I have compiled this I am going to use a program to put it in a book form. Further information can be obtained from me via e-mail. I have also penned a letter to the Affinity Group in regard to Old Fella but do not know if it went to the right place or if anyone has even read it. It was sent to forums@rv.net. If anyone can give me a better e-mail address I would also appreciate that.

I know that we are all saddened by the loss of a great animal that has changed a lot of lives and I would like to assist in his legacy remaining.

My e-mail is: (spelled out and not actually the way you would type it)
Dan218B at TDS dot Net

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dandy Dan
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was the last picture I took of Fella.

Wife Sue

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, Sue... I'm deeply saddened by the news, even though we all knew it was coming soon.

It was simply Old Fella's time to leave you. If Old Fella could speak to you today, he'd be thanking you for all the love you gave him the past few years, for rescuing him from a troubled life and giving him your palace of comfort and caring. He was a lucky old dog. His last couple years were a gift from you two, a gift of love and life that only you would have given a scraggly old mutt that wandered into your campsite.

Through you, he has saved the lives of many discarded creatures who continue to give love to their adopted families, and there will be many more rescues as a result of his story. His life really made a difference, thanks to you.

I also want to personally thank you for letting me and others share in Old Fella's last years through this thread. It's the best love story I've ever read.

slippity
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou for taking care of him.
USAF Vet
99 GMC Sierra 3/4 6.0 Ext Cab 4x4 4.10
2002 Forest River Salem Lite 25' w/slide

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Richard & Sue, I'm so sorry for your loss.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Lisaren
Explorer
Explorer
Through this thread Richard, Sue, Old Fella, Susie and all the active posting members have become a part of my life. I have read every post from the beginning. I have cried, I have laughed, I have smiled, but mostly I have felt the love everyone who reads and posts here feels for an old dog names Old Fella and a wonderful man who decided to rescue him. Thanks to Richard for adding so much to my life through Old Fella and your rescue work inspired by him. May you be blessed and comforted through this very difficult time.
Lisaren
Madison5004
2 rugrats
2001 Flagstaff 227 Pop-Up
2 non-camping cats - Miss Kitty and Jet
1 dog - Sirius

Hiker3
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue,

Oh my goodness. How many hearts your family and Old Fella have touched over the years by bringing a ray of sunshine through your story.

I've checked in from time to time to see how things were going. I am truly sad to know that this chapter has arrived.

Please take care. And thank you for such an incredible journey.
Livin Lite Quicksilver 8.0 (Folding Tent Camper) only 900 lbs!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Early this morning before our swim meet, I checked to see how Old Fella was doing. I tried to explain to my one son why I would be crying about a dog that I have never even met. He said "yeah, but its really like everyone knows him." How right he is. There are the FOOFs on here that read daily, once in a while or just happened on the site by chance. We really will never know the thousands of people whose lives were changed by the Daniel's and Old Fella.
This is a poem that really spoke to me when I lost Maddey....

My Forever Pet
by Suzanne Taylor

There's something missing in my home,
I feel it day and night,
I know it will take time and strength
Before things feel quite right.

But just for now, I need to mourn,
My heart - it needs to mend,
Though some may say it's "just a pet"
I know I've lost a friend.

You've brought such laughter to my home,
And richness to my days...
A constant friend through joy or loss,
With gentle, loving ways.

Companion, pal, and confidante,
A friend I won't forget,
You'll live for always in my heart,
My sweet, forever pet....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
Some times it feels as though the losses out weigh the blessings, but we know that is not true. The blessings come first and are many. Fortunately the loss is a one time thing. We will all miss Old Fella. My thoughts and prayers are with the Daniel's Family and the FOOF's around the world.
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Richard and Sue,

We are so sorry to hear of Old Fella's death. He was such a special dog and you are such special people for rescuing him in his time of need. Mine are both rescues and they will be hard to lose when the time comes, but I am not sorry I gave them a good and wonderful life. . . no matter how much it hurts when they are gone.

Love and prayers your way. . .

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue... I'm sorry he's gone, and that it sounds like the way it happened was hard to see. It must have been a very, very hard day. Take care of yourselves while you recover.

Looking back over the way and time that this was discovered, and how everything fell out, I'm struck by the timing. By the not knowing when you went to the rally. And it seems a blessing at least from here, that you could all enjoy him that last time, and not have the trip clouded by anxiety over his impending passing.

The poetry that keeps running through my head is from a Garth Brooks song...

And now, I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance
~ Tony Arata
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue,
So sorry to read of Old Fella's passing. Prayers sent for you.

To all of the other posters: Thanks for sharing your poems, prose and stories yesterday and today. Most of us have known and feel the loss of a pet and we have tears for Old Fella and all of our furry friends who are waiting over the bridge. Your words today have given me added comfort as I know they will also give comfort to Richard and Sue.

I, too, have never loved a pet that I have never met such as Fella. His story will last forever.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge