cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Jim and Priscilla (and Hank, of course) to the longest running thread in the history of RV.net. Take a few days to read through the thread (keep a few boxes of tissues handy) and prepare to be entertained, amused, saddened and lifted by one of the best group of people it has been my privilege to know. You are welcome, of course, to come to the rally in Ohio next year (or The Rally in New Mexico to see Richard receive his RVer of the Year award). If you're ever in Colorado, stop by and say hello. Welcome to our ever-growing fraternity of dog (and cat) lovers.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
silverdunes wrote:
"Sue and I had a long talk on the way home and she has convienced me to start in January to write the book "A Very Old Stray, The Old Fella Story." Sue believes that only I am capable of writing the real story filled with the emotion that will make it come to life."

Dixie, I am very glad that she convince you! I had once mentioned in an old post that you had a way with words, and I was wondering why you did not write your own story. Others also suggested it before. Experiences makes a writer more credible; you cannot write of a special love relationship without having been there. Sue is totally right! Wishing you the inspiration and the time needed in 2009 to tell the beautiful story we had a chance to share by this never ending post!

and to all of you, best wishes for 2009, health, love, safe travels and hugs to all fur kids.
Silverdunes, Belgrizou and Elgato (the stay@home cats...for now)

I agree Silverdunes!
Richard looks like you will have a very busy year and we will certainly buy the book!
Congrats on winning the Good Sam Award, could not happen to a better person.

Happy New Year to all! Have a safe, healthy, happy year!
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome One Country Boy

Happy New Year All - and lets go for a happy health 2009 for all FOOFs and the furkids.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome One Country Boy......Not sure how emotional you can get but keep tissues handy...it has been an emotional rollercoaster....
Happy New Year to all the FOOF's...
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

One_Country_Boy
Explorer
Explorer
I ran across this thread earlier this evening. It's been on several years, don't know how I missed it. I've read through about the first 50 pages of posts and the last 2 or 3 pages. I want to read it all and will certainly attempt to do just that. I found it very interesting in several different ways. It really says a lot for all involved. The humanity and generousity of everyone who posted, the vet and others. It reads like a Disney story in years gone past. There are many good people in this world, if you don't believe it, just sit and read this journal.

Congratulations to all of you for an outstanding job in humanity.

Happy New Year !!
Jim - Amateur Radio Call W4EWA
Priscilla - Navigator & Best Friend
Hank (Three year old black & tan Daschund)
Our WebSite
Combo RV'ers and Ham Radio Operators OpenRoadsRadio

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Barb, I think you'll be jostling with a whole bunch of FOOFs to be first in line for this book...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
Can't wait to read the book, glad it is going to be written!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
See, Richard? Remember when you were trying to get elected for that commissioner position? Well, it seems the big guy upstairs already knew there were bigger things for you to take care of! RV'er of the Year and a book to write seems like the plan for you for 2009!
Hope you are having a great time.....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
What a wonderful Christmas we had with the children and grandchildren. Poor Suzie got very, very, very, very car sick going up there and coming back home. Tomorrow I will try the Rescue Remedy to see if that helps her.

Sue and I had a long talk on the way home and she has convienced me to start in January to write the book "A Very Old Stray, The Old Fella Story." Sue believes that only I am capable of writing the real story filled with the emotion that will make it come to life. So I am making a committment to Old Fella to write his story the way it was experienced not only by Sue and I, but also by everyone who has become a part of this great life adventure. The journey will begin just as it did that Labor Day weekend 2005, but also looking back into Fella's past and the years he spent as a stray in the Modoc Campground. I hope to be able to end the story with Fella's name sake being built "The Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue Center."

I feel I am still on a journey with Fella and it will not end until our goal is accomplished and that his name will become a house hold word across this nation. Being named Rver of the Year has inspired me to continue the work and cause of bringing attention to the stray animals of America. 2009 will be a banner year for Old Fella. I just wish he could have been here to see it.

A Very Old Stray, The Old Fella Story

Now that's a book I will be first in line to buy.:)

So glad you will write the book. Your are the best writer anywhere here on RV.Net imo.

Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

silverdunes
Explorer
Explorer
"Sue and I had a long talk on the way home and she has convienced me to start in January to write the book "A Very Old Stray, The Old Fella Story." Sue believes that only I am capable of writing the real story filled with the emotion that will make it come to life."

Dixie, I am very glad that she convince you! I had once mentioned in an old post that you had a way with words, and I was wondering why you did not write your own story. Others also suggested it before. Experiences makes a writer more credible; you cannot write of a special love relationship without having been there. Sue is totally right! Wishing you the inspiration and the time needed in 2009 to tell the beautiful story we had a chance to share by this never ending post!

and to all of you, best wishes for 2009, health, love, safe travels and hugs to all fur kids.
Silverdunes, Belgrizou and Elgato (the stay@home cats...for now)
Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
This was sure a mixed-emotion weekend for us. I wrote a while back about how one of our brother-cats, Sam, was sick. At 9.5 yo he developed a tumor at the base of his nose. It was cancerous, and this Saturday, after close to a year, we sent Sammy to the Rainbow Bridge. He was a gentle and loving cat and will be very missed, but it was definitely time. A robust 17 pounder when healthy, he weighed under 10 pounds on Saturday. The mixed part is that on Christmas Eve, while at a friends house, I met someone who knew someone who is getting divorced and had a cat that needed a new home. We picked up Nala on Sunday afternoon. I'll post some pictures when I can, but she is a beautiful 4 yo, off-white with orange ears and a shortish orange tail. Very pretty. She is a love bug, though she is still hiding a lot - right now we're not sure where she is! Interestingly the dogs are OK with her but our other brother-cat, Shadow, is still deciding.
Sorry to be so long, just wanted to share!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
RIchard..... many of your posts on this thread will be a good source of notes for your book
Hope you have a wonderful time at Hunting Island
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
We will see that the thread keeps on!! Willow and BenBen say have a great time at Hunting Island!!

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be leaving in just a little while for Hunting Island, so keep the thread going while I am gone. I will be thinking about the book and making notes and begin writing just as soon as we get back.

Happy New Year everyone and may you always be blessed.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Yes write the book, I agree with Sue.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS