cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
32,280 REPLIES 32,280

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Dale, Wishing you safety!

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Dale, I dont know a thing about liver enzymes, but I am wishing he and you the very best. I hope you have a safe trip and your Brendon is doing well.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I left this morning for the Coach House Rally in Natchez. After driving a hard two days from Virginia to my home in central Florida last week, I decided to stick to my original plan for miles, around 250 for the day. I wanted to get home after Hurricane Idalia prolonged my stay up north.
So I am staying at Tally East. Used to stay here years ago, but it looks rather unkempt and run down now. I will work for an overnight, though,

Vet called me last night to tell me Brendon's liver enzymes are high (blood work last week). Hmmmm. So we talked about a plan and will get busy on that when we return home.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Great! We have an elderly dog in my family. He is senile, almost blind and decidedly deaf, but he is very much loved. We spend a lot on him, special diet and many vet visits, but you do that for a loved one.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

We really had a good time at Canopy Oaks Resort. It's a really neat place. We are really looking forward to our trip there in November.

From my house, the drive is so nice. No interstates and all back road with very minimal traffic. The drive itself through central Florida is nice.

The pups are all doing fine. Monty is still trucking along for an old man. He still gets around great and looks great.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Morning FOOFs

We made it to Canopy Oaks RV resort. This place is really nice. Its about 20 miles to the east of Lake Wales Florida. They have 411 RV sites here. They are really big sites. I could easily get two of my motorhomes on a site and I'm 37' long. Every site is big. Some sites have rock fire pits and a gas grill. There is a deli restaurant on site that makes sandwiches and pizza. They also have really good ice cream. There is also a general store and a huge tiki bar in the middle of a big lake. I didn't even bring the Jeep this time as we don't need to leave. They also have golf cart retails.

ZuZu is really turning into a good traveler. Everyone loves her and she "gets it" now. Her leg is much better but I am still trying to confine her as much as possible. I took Monty to the very large dog park they have here and he got to run around and pee on everything. He is really doing well for 13 years old.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Burch

aro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Glad you made it safely home!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Made it home this afternoon and got everything tucked back under cover just in time for the worst storm of the season to unleash on us. Lots of rain, thunder, lightning, etc. It rattled the windows a few times. Neighbors said it was the worst one all season. Glad to be home.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the good wishes. I made it just over 400 miles yesterday. Stopped for the night in Walterboro, SC. Today I have 387 miles to go to get home. Should be easy. No problems yesterday. Started out with light rain, not heavy, and occasionally some wind gusts. I could tell there was more wind, but this Coach House is so aerodynamic, it just went past without jostling me around. Once I got on I-95 at Rocky Mount, everything was dry and stayed that way.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Stay safe!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burch glad you avoided damage from the storm.

Dale safe travels and hope you avoid after effects from the storm
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Safe travels

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I'm gonna make a run for it this morning. Leaving earlier than I normally do, but gonna try and make it home in 2 days. Don't wanna sit in this campground any longer, especially with winds coming as I have rotted limbs that have fallen all around me for a couple days.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Things are good here. Still have windy conditions and bands of rain but no damage at my house. The highest wind gust was only 41mph here at 2:30am. Lots of storm surge near the water. Looks like my area dodged another one but the hurricane season isn't over until November.

Burch

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I am sitting in a campground in Chesapeake, VA, having extended my stay twice to avoid having to run into that storm. Scheduled to leave tomorrow morning headed home. Hoping I can skirt it as it heads out to see. My place in Polk City is fine.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

dturm
I was wondering about you and the hurricane. Hope you all come out without too much damage.

We spent parts of several winters in Crystal River. It looks like the whole city is in zone A and headed for a major storm surge. We also loved Homosassa Wildlife State Park and are worried about the effects of the storm surge on their residents.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV