cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70 Denver to Grand Junction ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going west on I 80 from Elkhart Ind., considering turning off on I 76, around Denver to I 70 to I 15 then to Las Vegas in late Sept. or early Oct. Am I OK going up approx. 10-11K feet out of Denver at that time of year pulling a 36' 5er? An alternate route would be to take I 80 to Salt Lake City, then I 15 to Las Vegas. Thanks
Art
4 REPLIES 4

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
JimFromJersey wrote:
And enjoy Glenwood Canyon - but don't blink or you'll miss it - it's only what, about 15 or 16 miles worth?

Thats a pretty long blink.. 😉
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
That's a big dam' 5er, but thousands of other drivers do the same thing every week, so unless you hit a storm that strands EVERYBODY, you should be fine. The uphills around Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail have at least three lanes, so just stay right, let the cars and cycles pass you, and enjoy the drive. We did it in a 34' 1988 Bounder last year, so if we can do it, anyone can.

And enjoy Glenwood Canyon - but don't blink or you'll miss it - it's only what, about 15 or 16 miles worth?
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
This was just asked a few days ago and I cannot find it to send you to it.

Basically, you will climb from Denver at mile high to Eisenhower Tunnel at about 11K feet and back down and then you will hit Vail Pass at 11k feet once again. Lots of 7% or so but certainly not a "mountain road" as it is interstate. And 45 mph curves if you are even going that fast up or down! Glenwood Canyon is beautiful but you will have some curves in it.

Weather can be iffy for sure; just check the forecasts.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
I70 through Glenwood Canyon is not only an engineering marvel, but it is one of the most beautiful highways in America. Keep an eye on the weather and go for it.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad