cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alberta Friends help me with this route please

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
I will enter Alberta north of Shelby, Montana going toward Milk River,AB. Can you suggest a good route from there to Whitecourt, bypassing Edmonton? Or is there a better way from around Cardston to Whitecourt? On our last trip in 2013, my navigation program routed us on to some range roads that were not even paved. Your help will be appreciated.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
13 REPLIES 13

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from out there. Drove through Calgary on the deerfoot as we didn't know if the ring road(216) was finished on either side. Hardly slowed down and I was dragging the 5er behind us. No lights to contend with. The op hasn't really stated whether he was going to tour around or bee line it for his destination. By the way the west ring road around Edmonton is good for getting around the city. The east ring road isn't done yet.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
P Kennedy wrote:
Go through Calgary on Hwy #2 (Deerfoot Trail) to Hwy 216 west ...

I will drive ANY route to avoid the Deerfoot!

It all depends on whether he's in a hurry or wants scenic, though, and he hasn't said yet.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
My route is the simplest and most efficient for the guy as he was looking for a way around the cities however this would include many twists, turns and stops that would confuse and delay the trip. Deerfoot has eliminated the traffic lights and the Stoney bypass is good but gets busy at peak times as well. Timing on freeways is the key to easy travel. Just a local guy who pulls 2 trailers through the area all the time.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 22 is west of Pincher Creek. We've traveled it many times on our way north from the Waterton National Park area, usually to Rocky Mountain House and then west from there. It's a very good highway with towns along the way. You will be driving through the foothills of the Rockies. If you go up to Lethbridge from the Coots/Sweetgrass border crossing, you could visit Fort MacLeod's Museum and/or Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump on the way to highway 22. There are other ways to get to 22 without going through Lethbridge. Look for the junction of Hwy 4 & 501 just north of the border crossing. You can go west on 501 to #2 hwy,north through Cardston to #5 where you go west and go past the Waterton National Park gate. You might want to go in for a visit. You'll be right beside the mountains. Hwy #5 changes to #6 Hwy & goes north to Pincher Creek where you catch Hwy #3 west to #22 Hwy. The roads are very good and they are hilly and yes we've driven on them. Good luck on your choice and have fun.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
P Kennedy wrote:
Hwy 22 is scenic but you will be stopping and turning through various towns and lots of hills along with slow moving farm equipment. Romore is correct from the border Hwy #4 north to Hwy #3 west through Lethbridge until Hwy #2 north. Go through Calgary on Hwy #2 (Deerfoot Trail) to Hwy 216 west on the south side of Edmonton to Hwy #16 west then Hwy #43 North to Whitecourt. You will save time and traffic is lightest Sunday mornings through the cities. If you want the alternate route I can give it to you, GPS is highly over rated I still use a map.

Get off Deerfoot just south of Calgary and catch Stoney Trail ( 4 lane )which takes you around the east side of calgary and rejoins Hwy 2 north of the city. There are no stoplights on the Stoney whereas the Deerfoot is slow and littered with them.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Wow do you ever have a big decision to make. I would not want to miss what this region has to offer. Yep the freeway to Edmonton is definitely paved and a lot faster but is this why you decided to RV. The other routes are paved a bit slower paced and so scenic and relaxing. Hope these two sites help a bit in your planning. I just finished the top part of Hywy 22 and the Fallen Four Memorial in Mayerthorpe. If you like old general stores the one in Mayerthorpe is not to be missed. Head Smashed In is also awesome as is Fort McCloud. Hope you have a great trip whichever way you decide. Give us an update when you're back......Mike

"Trail of the Great Bear"

Trail of the Great Bear

"The Cowboy Trail"

Cowboy Trail
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on taking Highway 2 through Calgary almost to Edmonton. At Highway 19 (many signs say "Edmonton Bypass") go west til it dead ends at highway 60. Go north on 60 till highway 16 and head west. 22 is OK but real slow.

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 22 is scenic but you will be stopping and turning through various towns and lots of hills along with slow moving farm equipment. Romore is correct from the border Hwy #4 north to Hwy #3 west through Lethbridge until Hwy #2 north. Go through Calgary on Hwy #2 (Deerfoot Trail) to Hwy 216 west on the south side of Edmonton to Hwy #16 west then Hwy #43 North to Whitecourt. You will save time and traffic is lightest Sunday mornings through the cities. If you want the alternate route I can give it to you, GPS is highly over rated I still use a map.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
If I am entering Alberta from Shelby, MT where do I catch highway 22?

My choice is to go west at Lethbridge, and visit Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump on the way to 22. You can also go up 2 and west to 22 at any number of junctions.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really want to go to Whitecourt or are you just headed for the Alaska Highway?
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
If I am entering Alberta from Shelby, MT where do I catch highway 22?

Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
22 is the more scenic route if you have lots of time. Quickest through Calgary on 2 and Anthony Henday Drive (216) around Edmonton to highway 16. Be sure to avoid the morning and afternoon rush hours for less stress.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Join and follow Highway 22 to Highway 43, good 2 lane pavement all the way. You will miss Calgary and Edmonton traffic.