cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Albuquerque to Silver City NM

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to Silver City from Albuquerque with a 39 ft 5th wheel. Can we take the 25 to the 152 from south of Truth or Consequences to Silver City or do we need to go all the way to the 10 and then to the 180.

Thank You

Ray
7 REPLIES 7

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to spend a few days in Las Cruces, so we took a day trip up to the City of Rocks'

Thanks for the input.

Ray

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
IF you have an extra hour to kill you can take I-25 to US 60 (Socorro, NM), to NM 12 to US 180. It is a more scenic drive and will pose no problems for your rig.
Took this route this summer, slower but shorter and very scenic and a lot less traffic.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have an extra hour to kill you can take I-25 to US 60 (Socorro, NM), to NM 12 to US 180. It is a more scenic drive and will pose no problems for your rig.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
jackandh2o wrote:
Desert Captain, the 26 it is. Thank you so much.

Ray

Stop at Sparky's in Hatch and get a green chile cheese burger. It's on the west side of the street that you will take from I-10 to 26 in the block north of 26. You will see all the big caricature heads when you get there.
I need some wild

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
While in Silver City, go have lunch (or diner) at Jalisco's. Yum yum!

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain, the 26 it is. Thank you so much.

Ray

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do NOT attempt to take the 152 with your rig. We just drove it again about a month ago. Continue down I 25 to Hatch to 26 and connect with the 180 at that point. The drive over the Mimbres mountains is spectactular but that road will NOT accommodate a rig the size of yours.

There are numerous switchbacks posted at 15 to 25 and they are not kidding. There are 6 that are posted at 10 mph and there is NO way you will be able to keep your rig from going well over the double yellow line (repeatedly). :E There are a couple of low bridges, around 12' 6" (as I recall), which could be just another reason to not attempt this road.

Once you get to Silver City unhook and drive your truck back over the 152, it is worth your time if you like spectacular roads. Take this drive in your truck and then tell me I'm wrong... you won't. :B

:C