cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Alaska Question.....What do do with the fish?

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the very early stages of planning an extended Alaska trip and will probably do a lot of fishing. Probably even do a charter trip to catch some halibut, etc.
I could visualize WAY more fish than I can store in the camper freezer.
Was wondering if having it processed and shipped back to someone might be an option.
Maybe consider having some salmon smoked.
Maybe consider canning some fish.

Anybody have experience with this?
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW
33 REPLIES 33

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this your first trip to Alaska? Are you traveling with anyone else? I went with my wife and another couple in 2006. The other couple did not fish. This was my first time up so wife and other couple wanted to sight see, I like to fish but also wanted to see the sights. I fished from Glacier NP, Muncho lake, Kulane NP all across Alaska where ever we stoped to camp for the night. Ate fresh fish 3 days a week, lake trout, rainbows, dolly varden, grayling and salmon. We met 2 other couples in the Yukon that we traveled with us to Alaska. They fished also but caught very little so my catch went to feed them also. It was a great trip. I have wanted to go back and do more fishing but do to heath, and family situations have not made it back. I found being my first trip and wanting to see Alaska the rainbow fishing was fantastic, few fished for them because most wanted salmon. When up on the Russian river met several guys that carried freezers in there Class A's. If I ever make it back to do more fishing I would just eat what I caught and give the rest away to others in the camp ground. I do have a smoker and may take that to smoke some fish and Ninichik clams.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the complements, but you don't really need to follow me. The folks in Alaska, especially the sportsmen and women, are just endless sources of great information. This is where I got my information. A smile, a complement and a question, and you can make a friend for life. This is one of the reasons I love Alaska so much. We correspond all the time with friends from Alaska and across the lower 48 that we met in Alaska in our travels. If I were 20 years younger, I'd be a permanent resident up there, but the one thing preventing it is their health care system. Adequate for summer and even winter visits, but thin as far as state-of-the-art high tech treatments. Most anything beyond basic care requires a flight to Anchorage or for the more complex issues, on to Seattle. Emergency services in the bush is long and coming and fairly basic if you can get someone there at all. Not withstanding, I still love the place. We even flew up in 2011 for 2 weeks to see the start of the Iditerod. Needless to say we're big fans of The Last Frontier. Just be careful on your first trip. The place is absolutely addicting.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . this is a great thread ! We actually might get to Alaska in '15, so I'm enjoying the info & associated stories. AND I too may be following Pigman around, now THAT'S a serious fisherman. thanks for all the posts, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
You don't really need a pressure cooker to can. A big pot works fine. You can buy a big canning pot at Wally World.

Fish that is canned "jarred" needs to be cooked at 15psi for 100 minutes minimum. So a pressure cooker would be required.

Alternatively, you can find multiple fish processing facilities that will clean, vacuum seal, flash freeze, then ship your fish to you. They'll even hold them until you get back, and then send them to you.

These facilities are everywhere across all popular fishing locations in Alaska.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sorta off-topic, sorta not: I can't resist bragging about a major score I made just this morning:

For fifty bucks, I just bought the whole canning outfit of a fella that at 86 has sold the boat that he used to take to Alaska, where he'd can all the fish he caught. Kit includes not just a primo pressure cooker with its various tools, but also two full cases of cans/lids AND the machine that stamps the lids on. All I need to do is get the p.c. gauge checked at the County extension office and I'm in business. Not goin' to Alaska anytime soon but there's plenty of fish here in Puget Sound. Not to mention venison in the woods...

SCORE!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Good story......:C Don,t think I'm going to be doing that fish head trick though:E

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I really am enjoying reading all the canning info. In my years in rural Alaska, I never canned a single fish. Here are a couple of photos of one of my fish camps I set up on the lower Yukon River, not too far up stream from the mouth. I was commerical fishing for Kings this summer and put up some eating fish for the winter.

I favored living in a wall tent in the summres, when possible. Actually very comfortable, with a wood stove inside, cots, etc.

The sheet of plastic was just to throw over the fish and my smoke fire, if it started to rain, as rain will ruin the fish. Another way to preserve the fish, was used especially for the heads, was to go down by the water and dig a hole about 12 to 18 inches deep, but above the river water level, and line the hole with goose grass. Then add a layer of fish heads, more grass, till it was full. More holes if you needed more fish preserved. Leave to ferment for a month or more. When hungry just run your hand down through the top layer of sand and grass and pull out a couple of "stinky heads", rinse them in the river and with some pilot crackers, lunch was served. Diffidently an acquired taste, as with some strong cheeses.
The locals had done it this way for thousands of years and survived. Now a few did get sick and I suspect died in the past from botulism.
After I moved to Nenana and became a city slicker, I just used a large home freezer.

The Yukon is probably close to a mile wide down this far. My wife took this photo of me running my drift net. I had borrowed this fishing spot from a good local friend as he was using a different site that summer. The drift was about a couple of miles and when fishing 24 hours a day, it was hard to stay awake. So I would hire one of the older boys in the near by village to ride along with me and wake me up at the bottom of the drift. Then take the kings out of the net. and run back upstream to set the net again and repeat the process.

I also borrowed a few dogs from my buddy, to tie out back of my camp to be bear warning devices and to protect my fish. They sounded the alarm several times, but the bears high tailed it out of there, before I had to deal with them. I provided the dogs with room and board for the summer, and the owner let me keep them for free. Almost a Huck Finn type story. Very few bears are interested in tangling with some Eskimo sled dogs that are half domesticated and weigh about 100 lbs each. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information......Pigman..If you see a silver regualr cab 3500 with an old Lance camper on it that seems to be following you around....That will be me.:D

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
tonymull wrote:
I have also eaten salmon with some of my friends who were Eskimo. Their method is to fillet the fish leaving the two fillets attached at the tail. Then the fillets are scored many times about every inch or so. This allows it to dry very quickly. They place it on racks out in the wind and sun with a slow, smoky fire just on the downwind side. The smoke lends some flavor and keeps the flies off as the salmon air dries. They loved it...me, not so much. But it does keep for several months just wrapped in wax paper, unrefrigerated...however the average high temperature out on the Kuskokwim is probably in the 60's during the summer.

This is exactly the same method described by Lewis and Clark in their journal entries about the practices used by Columbia River tribes during their salmon harvest seasons. L&C also used the same method to dry elk and even horse meat for transport during their travels.

For longer term storage of salmon, the tribes pounded the air-dried fish into compressed masses, which they then stored in baskets made for the purpose.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I have also eaten salmon with some of my friends who were Eskimo. Their method is to fillet the fish leaving the two fillets attached at the tail. Then the fillets are scored many times about every inch or so. This allows it to dry very quickly. They place it on racks out in the wind and sun with a slow, smoky fire just on the downwind side. The smoke lends some flavor and keeps the flies off as the salmon air dries. They loved it...me, not so much. But it does keep for several months just wrapped in wax paper, unrefrigerated...however the average high temperature out on the Kuskokwim is probably in the 60's during the summer.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke the fish and then can it. Half pint or pint glass jars are my preference. A Little Chief takes about 8 hrs to smoke a load, comes with easy directions. Or you can smoke the fish (you cut the fillets into 1 inch wide strips) and after smoking you can vaccum pack it and it will keep refrigerated for months. You could use one of those 7 day igloo or coleman coolers with block ice if you don't have refrigerator space and be fine. I'd change the block every 4 days (those smoked strips will cost you $30+ a pound at the store, take care of them). Sockeye are probably the best salmon for canning, or freezing. Kings a close second and Silvers are great. Kings and Silvers have more fat and don't keep as long. Personally I don't bother with Pinks or Chums, their flesh is not as firm or tasty as the others. I have seen people all the way out at Lake Illiamna sitting next to the Newhalem River with a pressure cooker on a Coleman store, canning away....they did have someone standing bear guard though 😉

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
You don't really need a pressure cooker to can. A big pot works fine. You can buy a big canning pot at Wally World.
For fish???? I sure wouldn't eat it. Acid vegetables perhaps, not definitely not fish or meat. Check University of Alaska Cooperative Extension Bulletins.

Times TEN!

Water bath canning is not for anything but high acid fruits and vegetables. Meats and fish must be pressure canned- and with the right equipment. Not every pressure cooker is also a canner.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
You will pay quite a bit to have it processed, frozen and shipped. I went a few years ago and the processing was paid by the lodge I stayed at. Fed-Exing it home was about $3/lbs. We had 200 lbs of fish between my wife and I so it was a pretty penny just in shipping. However, if you stayed a few days at spots with a processing plant, I'd recommend doing it. Every day they take your fish and vac seal it and put it in a locker with your name on it. When you get ready to leave, you can establish a ship date. For example, if you knew you were going to be home in a week, they would ship on the specified date and you'd be home to receive it and handle it properly.

We haven't been for a couple of years so I don't know todays costs but flash freezing and shipping back in 1992 was spendy and is the best way to your fish home. Most "experts" say not to keep frozen fish more than a year, well they probably never drank out of a rubber hose on a hot summer day or failed to wash their hands before eating. We had a few pieces go bad due to faulty vacuum packing but we had it for a year and a half and longer.

Frozen/defrosted halibut from AK is in the $30/pound range here in the Los Angeles area. And we figure it costs less than retail to process your fish and ship it home, plus you have an adventure to tell folks at your Alaskan Fish Fry. So go for it, even if you have to skip a trip the following year.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
For fish???? I sure wouldn't eat it. Acid vegetables perhaps, not definitely not fish or meat. Check University of Alaska Cooperative Extension Bulletins.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus