cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ dust

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
Another terrible, fatal accident on the 10, between Phoenix and Tucson involving a motorhome and many others; please be careful!

/www.theepochtimes.com/n3/334761-i-10-crashes-3-dead-12-injured-after-arizona-dust-storm-crash/
26 REPLIES 26

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived in AZ for 45 years and haven't had to drive in a dust storm. They were MUCH denser in the 70's than they are today.

By far the worst driving conditions I've ever experienced anywhere in the country has been around Flagstaff in the winter. Dense fog with heavy snow on I-17 25-30 miles south of Flagstaff or between Flagstaff and Winslow on I-40.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

samuraitowd
Explorer
Explorer
Been in two Haboobs in Phoenix and one in Death Valley. Thankfully, not while driving the MH! Watch the weather reports even on nice days!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick n Andi

Rexhall American Clipper 29': 2005
Suzuki Samurai; 1994
Jeep Wrangler 2005

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly Arizona has no corner on the "potential natural phenomenon". Been thru blizzards in Montana where the visibility is zero. Just a few weeks ago we were hit by a rain storm in central Texas that was the heaviest I have ever seen. I would have left the highway and waited if I had known how nasty it was going to be. After it hit I couldn't FIND or see an exit. It all boils down to staying aware and getting over the "getthereitis". Sometimes I think I am a little wiser with age- other times I'm not so sure.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you do get off the road I should think the engine should be turned off to prevent damage from the dust or at best a clogged air filter. The big killers here in Northern New England would be fog or "black ice".
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
lanerd wrote:
Ironically, we came through (going west) I-10 between Tucson and Casa Grande that very morning around 10am. The weather was perfect....without even a breeze. We stopped in Casa Grande and had breakfast at the Crackle Barrel. I couldn't find the "time" of this accident, but if it happened earlier than when we came through, I didn't see any evidence of it. Must have happened afterwards.

It happened at 12:11.... 38 minutes Before ADOT issued the actual warning. Very difficult, if not impossible to predict exactly when one of these will hit. This is why for two days they issued advisories alerting the public to the serious possibility/likelihood of such an event. :R

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ironically, we came through (going west) I-10 between Tucson and Casa Grande that very morning around 10am. The weather was perfect....without even a breeze. We stopped in Casa Grande and had breakfast at the Crackle Barrel. I couldn't find the "time" of this accident, but if it happened earlier than when we came through, I didn't see any evidence of it. Must have happened afterwards.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
the I10 route is no worse tan any other. Lots scare talk here, if and its a big IF you are aware of what you are doing and going then the I10 corridor is no worse than any other in the country. What is wrong is that you get folks trying to impose speed limits on others and then there are issues. 65 in the middle lane of 3 in a 75 zone! get your butts over to the right lane where they are supposed to be. Also if passing a vehicle PASS it then get out of the way. Really nothing more than courtesy on the highway. As to the storms they happen anywhere. Dust storms happen on I10 over in and by New Mexico. Bad storms happen on I40 up in the winslow, williams flagstaff areas also. Crossing from NM to AZ by gallup last summer we were in a mud storm! Lotsa dirt in the air and its trying to rain. Went ot the field when stationed in ok and got the same thing. A mud storm. I drive up to east la (phx) frequently because unfortunately my daughter lives there. biggest headache are those I describe above, and I am not talking about the storms. So dont be afraid to drive in this area, just be aware of what you are doing and what is going on around you. These storms do appear suddenly but you really get to see them coming. It takes time for the wind to pick up and carry that much dust it is not instantaneous as indicated. In all the times Iv e been to east la only got caught 1 time in a dust storm, lotsa wind but only 1 for real storm. Rain can be just as bad when we have them. drive wisely and aware at ALL times.

Well said!
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hank85713 wrote:
These storms do appear suddenly but you really get to see them coming. It takes time for the wind to pick up and carry that much dust it is not instantaneous as indicated.

Don't get over-confident...in our case of being in multiple dust storms, they were, indeed, instantaneous.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
the I10 route is no worse tan any other. Lots scare talk here, if and its a big IF you are aware of what you are doing and going then the I10 corridor is no worse than any other in the country. What is wrong is that you get folks trying to impose speed limits on others and then there are issues. 65 in the middle lane of 3 in a 75 zone! get your butts over to the right lane where they are supposed to be. Also if passing a vehicle PASS it then get out of the way. Really nothing more than courtesy on the highway. As to the storms they happen anywhere. Dust storms happen on I10 over in and by New Mexico. Bad storms happen on I40 up in the winslow, williams flagstaff areas also. Crossing from NM to AZ by gallup last summer we were in a mud storm! Lotsa dirt in the air and its trying to rain. Went ot the field when stationed in ok and got the same thing. A mud storm. I drive up to east la (phx) frequently because unfortunately my daughter lives there. biggest headache are those I describe above, and I am not talking about the storms. So dont be afraid to drive in this area, just be aware of what you are doing and what is going on around you. These storms do appear suddenly but you really get to see them coming. It takes time for the wind to pick up and carry that much dust it is not instantaneous as indicated. In all the times Iv e been to east la only got caught 1 time in a dust storm, lotsa wind but only 1 for real storm. Rain can be just as bad when we have them. drive wisely and aware at ALL times.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
The corridor between north Tucson and Casa Grande is noted for dust storms. They happen every year and we have been in a couple. They are the scariest thing you can imagine. The times we were in one the dust came immediately without warning. There is no way you can just pull off the highway. You can't see one foot in front of you when it happens. You cannot see it coming. You just cross your fingers that the drivers behind you are stopping, also. The storms we were in happened in the fall, winter and spring. We're out of here in summer but they happen in summer, too. The area is flat and farming country.

These 'dust storms' are very different from the 'haboob' dust storms. With the 'haboob' you can actually see a tall wall of dust approaching from a distance and with those you do have a chance to get off the highway.

We winter in the Tucson area and our daughter lives in the Phoenix area so we drive the stretch often. Now if there's a slight breeze we take an alternate route which is longer but much safer. From Tucson we take 79 through Florence and into Apache Junction - east of Phoenix. It's a very scenic route with minimal traffic - and no dust.

Some folks recommend RV parks in Casa Grande but we would never stay there for exactly these reasons. Plus, it's very unhealthy to be in that dust.

We would advise everyone who drives this area to get a good weather report on wind speed just before your drive if you're approaching the area between north Tucson and Casa Grande along I-10. Be safe out there!
Thank you.......that route was on our plans for the near future.....we'll be sure to skirt around that area and watch weather reports closely ๐Ÿ™‚ This is why I love the internet and this forum in particular ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The corridor between north Tucson and Casa Grande is noted for dust storms. They happen every year and we have been in a couple. They are the scariest thing you can imagine. The times we were in one the dust came immediately without warning. There is no way you can just pull off the highway. You can't see one foot in front of you when it happens. You cannot see it coming. You just cross your fingers that the drivers behind you are stopping, also. The storms we were in happened in the fall, winter and spring. We're out of here in summer but they happen in summer, too. The area is flat and farming country.

These 'dust storms' are very different from the 'haboob' dust storms. With the 'haboob' you can actually see a tall wall of dust approaching from a distance and with those you do have a chance to get off the highway.

We winter in the Tucson area and our daughter lives in the Phoenix area so we drive the stretch often. Now if there's a slight breeze we take an alternate route which is longer but much safer. From Tucson we take 79 through Florence and into Apache Junction - east of Phoenix. It's a very scenic route with minimal traffic - and no dust.

Some folks recommend RV parks in Casa Grande but we would never stay there for exactly these reasons. Plus, it's very unhealthy to be in that dust.

We would advise everyone who drives this area to get a good weather report on wind speed just before your drive if you're approaching the area between north Tucson and Casa Grande along I-10. Be safe out there!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
I've often wondered how much of this dust is caused by the plowing of fields west of I-10 in this area during times of high winds. The soil is so dry and plowing, discing, etc always puts out a lot of dust.

Not accusing, just wondering.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
put the hazards on and the people will still think you are driving down the highway! I told all my family if confronted to get as far off the road as is possible, too many stupid people out there to just pull over and stop! We have a slow down or move over law for vehicle on the side of the road with hazard lights on mainly for protection of the individual, do many follow through? NO, again too stupid even when its posted every so often along the highways. Another stupid driver law is one that costs $$ when you bypass a do not enter flood area sign. We have some low tunnels for the RR's and they will fill up to as much as 15 feet, and stupid people still try to drive past the signs or not even look at the water tables if the signs are not up!

lotsa folks complain about AZ drivers, but know what? Many learned to drive and moved here from SOMEPLACE ELSE!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Just another comment based on my experience. I've seen these storms coming from the front of my vehicle. I didn't wait for it to get to me. I jumped off the very next off ramp and parked in a safe spot. It passed and was clear enough to drive in about 10-15 minutes.

I've also had them coming from behind (stay aware). I drove at 75mph, which is the speed limit on I-10 in most places, and was barely able to keep pace with it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)