cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bakersfield- I-40 or I-10 to Arizona

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
We could use some advice as to the best road for seeing Arizona and New Mexico? We are heading toward Texas and could go either I-40 or I-10.
20 REPLIES 20

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Helped a friend move from Los Angeles to North Carolina a couple years ago. Took 40 all the way. Couple of items: When to get to end of 58 at 15 and if you need fuel, go south on 15 one mile to Lenwood. Big stations and better prices than in Barstow.

From there to Needles/Williams the view is all desert. Not that its a bad thing, I like it, DW hates it.

Didn't check your signature for what you're travelling in, Sedona and that area is very scenic. An alternate is 89 to Prescott then east to 17 and into Sedona from the south. Second the caution to check weather for snow in Flagstaff.

Once out of the Flagstaff area it gets to be desert again. Pretty flat to Oklahoma. There is a town (don't remember the name) on 40 in New Mexico that has a nice fuel stop. The interesting thing is ther are replicas of prehistoric dinosaurs on the side of the hill on the north side of the highway.

40 in Texas takes you past the Cadillac Rance and the world's largest cross. Good steak house on 40 in McLean, TX. Looks like a small roadside restaurant with a large dirt parking lot. Go inside and it's like a clown car. Holds at least a 100 or so people.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Selkie wrote:
Take I10. Tucson has the Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson, and I recommend heading south to visit Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone, and cool museums at Ft Huachuca. Tombstone Territories RV Park is a great location, and they have an indoor heated pool and spa. It's located near the San Pedro River Wildlife Preserve- nice for hiking.

I-10 is the way we would go (again) and do the things you mention and more. We used Tombstone Territories RV Park for our stay...great people and place.

Huachuca City, AZ (Tombstone Territories)

Feel free to view our Journal entries for visits to Tombstone, Bisbee, Fort Huachuca and more.

Looking forward to getting down that way again soon.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 is very scenic through forested mountains, lakes, beautiful sights. Williams, AZ is a fun Route 66 town that still has its classic old style. Bearizona is a fun drive through animal park well worth the stop. A deer petting farm is also near. In Flagstaff is Lowell Observatory where you can tour century old telescopes and equipment. Further east is Meteor Crater where the NASA museum is very interesting. You'll also pass by Petrified Forest and Painted Desert parks.

But, I-40 can get significant snow fall in the winter from Williams to Winslow. Highways can get snow packed but will quickly clear after 1 day of sun.

I-10 travels through desert areas of AZ with only a couple short stretches where very rare snow can fall. I have never seen the road surface ice up in these areas.

Along I-10 are the Indian Ruins of Casa Grande, Kartchner Caverns which is one of the best living caverns you can tour inside, Tombstone with its old west gun fights and saloons and nearby wineries.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
It sounds like the obvious plan would be to take I-40 going west and I-10 on your return.

Maybe not so obvious as the OP shows Memphis in their profile. Do they plan on returning to CA? Or is their ultimate destination Memphis? Do they plan on traveling in Texas and if so North or South? Big State.

What is obvious I-40 is more a direct route from Bakersfield to go throug N. AZ. There is a ton of history all over AZ

OP...need more info.

We plan on spending November & December in the Dallas area. Not going back to Memphis until New Years. thanks everyone. Keep them coming

MottissMT36RL
Explorer
Explorer
I will be pulling from Seattle to The Woodlands TX. in Nov. We usually go I-5 to Bakersfield, Then CA-58/I-40 to Neddles. At Needles we check the NOAA weather site to see about the Weather. As to your question IMHO I-40 is more scenic until you get past the Continental Divide Then it"s pretty flat to rolling hills. I-10 is flat to rolling hills from the CA. border to Houston. If you decide to drop down to 10 at Needles take AZ-95 instead US-95. US-95 is about 90 mi. of nothing, AZ-95 is a pretty drive along Colorado River to Parker where you can take AZ-72 to Vicksburg Jct. and on to I-10. We went this way last year but went straight on 95 to Quartsize and picked up I-10.From Parker, AZ-95 to I-10 is an easy drive but not much to see. We haven't done much site seeing along these routes because of time constraints. I would recommend Orange Grove Rv PK in Bakersfield. Message me if you want more info. Have a great trip, Be Safe...John
The Rig; 2009 (Dodge 2500 4x4x2 LB; 2008 Montana 3605RL)
Co-pilots: Wendy, Gypsy and Sunnie.
"Life is like a dance, you learn as you go and so is RVing"

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Interstates are the best way to see nothing at all. For you, I'd recommend US Route 60:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_60

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
It sounds like the obvious plan would be to take I-40 going west and I-10 on your return.

Maybe not so obvious as the OP shows Memphis in their profile. Do they plan on returning to CA? Or is their ultimate destination Memphis? Do they plan on traveling in Texas and if so North or South? Big State.

What is obvious I-40 is more a direct route from Bakersfield to go throug N. AZ. There is a ton of history all over AZ

OP...need more info.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:

MockTurtle has it right !
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
Take I10. Tucson has the Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson, and I recommend heading south to visit Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone, and cool museums at Ft Huachuca. Tombstone Territories RV Park is a great location, and they have an indoor heated pool and spa. It's located near the San Pedro River Wildlife Preserve- nice for hiking. By the way, northern Arizona had its first snowstorm 2 days ago.

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
From Bakersfield, Hwy 58 to Barstow. I-40 all the way to I-25 south into Texas. If you have not been to Meteor Crater (about 20 miles east of Flagstaff) that might interest you. RV park right off the Interstate.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
58 out of Bakersfield

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend I40 but just to be safe keep an eye on the weather in and around Flagstaff.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-40, there's much more to see. Chance of snow next week is slim to none, so enjoy your trip. try to work in Sedona, Yuma (Territorial Prison), old Route 66 where you can and other places. Just pay attention to weather forecasts and if necessary, hole up for a day or two until weather improves. Too bad that the federal parks are still closed, but there's plenty of other places worth visiting.