Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beartooth Highway

Rheevs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36' Gas MH towing a Subaru.
I was wondering if anyone has traveled the Beartooth and what kind of rig did you use. Also if anyone who has traveled the route has any advice other than make sure the brakes are good and use lower gears.

Life Is A Journey Not A Destination

Good Luck !
Vicki and Ed

2013 Winnebago Adventurer WFJ35P
The Saratoga
15 REPLIES 15

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that last year in June. We actually found a spot in a campground in Yellowstone without reservations!!! We were on motorcycles and tent camping. We left out of Yellowstone at daylight with frost on the bikes. When we got to the top of Bear Tooth we were in the middle of a freaking ice storm!!!!!! I think there is still a permanent wrinkle in the seat of my motorcycle!!!! We could only go in first gear due to riding them like dirt bikes so we kind of held up traffic. I think I would not be comfortable taking our fifth wheel and truck over that one..
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We spent ten days in the Yellowstone area some time back. Camped in Livingston, which is just outside the north entrance. Took day trips in our Jeep all over the park, including the Beartooth. Would not want to try it in a MH.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
We went across the Beartooth two weeks ago in a Ford Explorer from Red Lodge to Yellowstone. I'll tell you right up front that I hate heights. Nobody told us about this bastard in advance. I think my fingerprints are permanently imbedded in that rental's steering wheel. The road is barely wide enough for two cars. If there's any wind, rain, or snow it would be a real nasty character. To sum up, my feelings, if the Beartooth had been the only way for me to get home, I'd probably still be in Yellowstone.

Fred.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
My suggestion is to do a loop without the RV of the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Cooke City, Red Lodge or Cody are potential starting points. The loop of WY-296, US-212, MT-308, and MT-72/WY-120 is about 180 miles. Cooke City and Red Lodge are interesting small towns and Cody has the Buffalo Bill Center, Old Trail Town and the nightly rodeo.

There are several nice NF campgrounds on Rock Creek just below the switchbacks on the Red Lodge side. We camped at one and took the toad over the pass. Had Lunch in Cooke City. Took the Chief Joseph scenic byway over to WY120 to MT72. At MT308 cut over to Red Lodge then south on Hiway 212 to the campground. There is a not bad gravel/dirt road that follows Rock Creek up the valley that a Subaru Forester/Outback could handle OK.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to do a loop without the RV of the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Cooke City, Red Lodge or Cody are potential starting points. The loop of WY-296, US-212, MT-308, and MT-72/WY-120 is about 180 miles. Cooke City and Red Lodge are interesting small towns and Cody has the Buffalo Bill Center, Old Trail Town and the nightly rodeo.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I encountered snow flurries up there mid-September about 10 yrs ago (the same storm dusted Chief Joseph and the Big Horns).

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
I have done iit 5 or 6 times, mostly in Suburbans or pick up trucks. The last time I went over the Beartooth was two years ago in a 36ft diesel pusher pulling a Jeep. It helped that I had been over the pass before so I knew what to expect. I did not need to use the brakes much, mostly just geared down and used the engine brake to slow down.

The only time I had any trouble getting over the pass was on a crossing I did one September about 20 years ago, ran into heavy snow near the top and had to drive in 4 wheel drive for about 10 miles.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow has it just right, except if I was doing it, I'd try to drive the highway from the Red Lodge side up to the top. I'd unhook down near Red Lodge and drive the Subaru up (maybe all the way to Cooke City) and return to the bottom. There's a USFS campground at the bottom not far from Red Lodge, stay there and enjoy the drive to the top, stop at the overlook for a great view.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're doing it because you like scenic roads, you won't see much of it because there are very few pull outs to stop and take a breather.
If you're going DOWN to Red Lodge, you'll like it more if you unhook at the top of the pass and take your toad down and back up.
If you're going UP from Red Lodge, be prepared for a long, hard pull to the top... not quite as bad going down to Cooke City.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
IF it was me, I would be ok towing up from Redlodge...but wouldn't be too excited going the other way. I saw plenty of folks doing it, and they didn't look real happy. It is most definitely steep and winding.

Not sure I'd do it either way in a gasser though.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been up and back a few times. Hard enough to park a Harley at the pull offs much less a big rig. It is do-able but it would not be enjoyable and time wise it would not take much longer to disconnect, drive up and down and a lot more fun.

I would not do it in a gas rig.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven it twice. You will see all kinds of rigs on the road. Big ones, little ones and everything in between. I don't recall there being any length restrictions.

Drive slowly and you will be just fine. The view from the top is just amazing.

Go for it. That's what travel is all about. We drove up late in the day and spent the night up top.

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
There have been several discussions previously and the consensus is Don't Do It. This is a very tight highway with switchbacks and it goes up to 10,000 feet. If you make it up to the top you could lose your brakes on the downside. You would also have a LOT of unhappy people behind you because you will hold up the traffic. We took our dually truck and that was plenty big. The places to pull over and look at scenery aren't that big. Re think this, use common sense, park the MH and drive the toad.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
It's easily do-able, but it's too much work for me. As long as you're careful and go slow any vehicle with good brakes should be fine.... but it would be a very intense drive in a MH. I have driven it a couple of times in the pickup and had a great time, but I won't do it in the MH.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew