cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bend to Yosemite

Barneymissy
Explorer
Explorer
We're new to RV'ing and have a 40' class A - looking for an easy, but interesting route from bend, Oregon to just outside Yosemite. What do you think of 395 or ...?
10 REPLIES 10

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barneymissy wrote:
Thanks all. Nixing 395. Sounds like 97 out of Medford south to I-5 south to Sacramento, then 99 and I-40 to Yosemite. And thanks for the heads up on the fire. We'll keep an eye on that - Not leaving until early September.

It's State Highway 140, not I-40. Are you planning on camping outside the park and taking the toad in? And as already pointed out, the fire up there has everything messed up right now and it's predicted to last several more weeks. Also, the waterfalls are still running full and may be all summer, but the drawback to that is every body and their brother goes up there on weekends and it is packed! We tried to go up just to drive over Tioga for the day, and the line at the 120 gate was over three miles long. I turned around and didn't go in. They say it's even pretty crowded during the week, but you should at least be able to get in. The earliest in the morning you can get to the gate the better.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Barneymissy
Explorer
Explorer
I meant "Bend" not Medford.....

Barneymissy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Nixing 395. Sounds like 97 out of Medford south to I-5 south to Sacramento, then 99 and I-40 to Yosemite. And thanks for the heads up on the fire. We'll keep an eye on that - Not leaving until early September.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just an FYI the Detweiler Fire has closed hwy 140 into Yosemite and the town of Mariposa has been evacuated.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1672
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
The 395 route is OK but one thing to consider is the mileage. It's a long drive from Tioga Pass entrance station to the Valley, about 60 miles or more if I remember correctly, also the speed limit is 45mph all the way. I love the drive, it's beautiful for sure, but if time is a factor you may want to consider this.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Barneymissy wrote:
We're new to RV'ing and have a 40' class A - looking for an easy, but interesting route from bend, Oregon to just outside Yosemite. What do you think of 395 or ...?

My choice would be 97,I-5,Sacreamento, 99, I-40 to Yosemite.

Taking 395 means you will have to take a mountain pass to take west to Yosemite. Most of the passes are RV difficult to impossible ๐Ÿ˜ž

Or you could take 395 south to Hwy. 58 to Bakersfield at hwy. 99 then go north to hwy. 140. A little longer route but a pretty scenic drive and RV friendly.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Great ride. take your time --- enjoy.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
We drove our 32' TT in from the West side and found plenty of very tight switch backs in one specific section before Groveland. Nice, new, wide roads. Still, they required very slow speed and caution.

We drove Tioga pass with only the SUV (it had finally opened just 1 day prior to our arrival...what timing) and while elevation was much higher with I did not find the roads any more difficult. And the drive was dramatically more gorgeous.

It's worth asking more people who have driven it with large RV's, but I personally did not feel it was any worse than entering/exiting on 120 from the West. Dare I say I would actually prefer entering/exiting from the East side???

Barneymissy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Noted! We want to enter on the west side.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
If you come in on US 395 you will be on the east side of Yosemite. Then you have to enter the park on the Tioga Pass Road. Beautiful but very mountainous route. If you are new to driving a big rig you might want to consider your route carefully. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"