cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route in Arkansas

nancyelew
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling in mid-March from Texas to Arkansas in a 31' Class A. Most of the route is easy, but I am concerned about some routes in Arkansas. I lived in Arkansas in college and remember some of the roads are winding and steep. Not a big deal when you are in a car, but a whole different experience in a RV.

We will be coming into Arkansas at Texarkana and going to Crater of Diamonds State park. Then after that, we will be going to NW Arkansas--Beaver Lake Dam Site River campground. I would like to stop in Clarksville, Arkansas (near Russellville on I-40).

What is the best way to get to Crater of Diamonds and then from there to Beaver Lake.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
When I drove the pig trail I saw that my trailer license plate was loose. I saw It when making one of those curves.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled a 30 footer and a 35 footer on Hwy 7 and Hwy 27 with no problem. Take it slow and easy over the hills and through the curves.

I've even pulled both ways on the Pig Trail (Hwy 23) north of Ozark.

I'm sure some folks would prefer to not travel those routes, but I absolutely hate interstate driving if I can avoid it.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Beaver Dam Site River CG last spring. I will say that US 62 on either side of Eureka Springs (and through the town) is really quite curvy. Not unusual for those of us from Colorado, but something to avoid if they make you nervous. So approach the CG on US 62 from the west.

Pea Ridge NP along that route is worth a few hours if Civil War battlefields hold any interest to you. If you get a rain day, you can always head back to Bentonville and visit the FREE Crystal Bridges art museum. I'm not one to go to art museums, but this one is tops! Also, plan on some time in Eureka Springs. The Local Flavor Café will often have a waiting line, but worth the wait.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would take 27 from Murfreesboro to Russellville. It's a good road all the way with little traffic. Hilly, yes, It is the Ouachita Mtns. The only bad curve is on Danville Mountain and can be avoided by taking hwy 28 just out of Rover and then 7 at Ola. This way you get to see Arkansas instead of two of the busiest interstates in the country. I too recommend Old Post Park at Russellville. At Clarksville try Spadra Park COE campground.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
what littlemo said!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

tfiedler
Explorer
Explorer
nancyelew wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies!

I should also add this is our first RV trip. And we will be traveling with a 5 year old and a 50 lb dog. Are we crazy to do this?

Nope. You're completely sane. Camping with the kid and the dog is the best thing in the world, and you will cherish all of the memories when you get older.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
To get to Murfreesboro (Crater of Diamonds SP) the easiest way is to take 71 north at Texarkana (State Line Ave) You will go about 31 miles and turn left onto AR 27. This will take you through Nashville to Murfreesboro.

When you're ready to leave there to head to Clarksville you can continue north on 27 and get on HWY 70 in Kirby and it will take you to Hot Springs. From here you can continue on 70 and will merge with I-30 again. Hwy 7 out of Hot Springs is a beautiful drive but is very mountainous and curvy. It looks like a good shortcut but if you're not familiar with driving a large RV don't take it. Just head to Little Rock and then take I-40 to Clarksville. Petit Jean SP and Mt Magazine are on this route if you have time to stop either place.

You can also take 19 out of Murfreesboro toward Prescott and hit I-30 more directly but I haven't been on that road for many years so don't know what kind of shape it is in..

Correction: Turn Right on 27 off of 71 (not left) There is no left turn anyway!!! LOL
Have fun and enjoy that kiddo!

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heck you gotta do its not like your in the Amazon. Load up relax and go!

nancyelew
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies!

I should also add this is our first RV trip. And we will be traveling with a 5 year old and a 50 lb dog. Are we crazy to do this?

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TT was 32 foot, and I drug it all over Arkansas with no problems whatsoever. No problems pulling my current 26 footer either.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
It would add about 65 miles over the direct route to go to Clarksville by way of Little Rock, but that is the only way I can see that would not involve some very crooked roads.

BTW, I would probably choose the crooked roads myself. In fact we did in November when we went up to Dardanelle State Park at Russellville. But there is no doubt these are some of the crookedest roads we've traveled.

Likewise to go to Beaver Dam Site via Alma(Ft. Smith) would add about 40 miles to the trip from Clarksville. But the I-540 is a great highway to Fayetteville/Springdale.

Maybe someone else might have different ideas, but these are my honest opinions. Yes, I would probably go the more direct route, take my time, and enjoy it. But crooked that would be.

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
If you stop here in Russellville, about 20 from Clarksville, you can stay on the Ar. River at the Old Post Park which is COE for 10 bucks.. Right on the river and nice wide and deep parking spots. They have water and elec. on sites and a dump station. Clean shower house.. I had a 37' class A up till a week ago and I would drive it on any road in Ar. except the Pig Trail..
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty