cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route in California

silver_ratler
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with a 36 foot fifth wheel towed with a Freightliner Sport Chassis, total length around 51 feet.

Next spring we are planning on visiting California and will be coming across on I40 from Texas. We are planning on a late April early May arrival at Yosemite. From Yosemite we will be heading to Carmichael, outside of Sacramento. From the Sacramento area we will be headed North to Oregon and Washington.

My questions concern the best routes to take:

Best route to Yosemite ( Midpines ) from I40?
Is it feasible to go over to US 101 from Williams and take it up the coast to Oregon, or will we need to take I5?

We have never travelled in California with the RV so we are just trying to do our research to avoid unpleasant surprises. Thank you for any assistance.

Travel Safe!
9 REPLIES 9

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
That would be Alabama Hills....;)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I would also suggest 58 and if the snow is gone, I'd take Hwy 395 but I would take Hwy 58 to about Mojave and then turn north on Hwy 14 so you could check out Red Rock Canyon State Park, its dry camping but you wouldn't have the stay the night. Then I'd for sure check out Lone Pine and the Alhambra Hills where movies are made. There is some boon dock camping there. Also don't miss Bodie Ghost Town. LOL, you might not get out of California.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Billinwoodland wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
If you want the scenic route and to get off the Interstate, take a right at Kingman AZ. Go up through Vegas and either take 95 up or cut over to 395 through Death Valley or one of the other roads and then come in to Yosemite the back way on 120. Or just take the Interstate up and enter the park on 140 or 41. 140 is the easiest road into the park and remains at the lowest altitude.

120 is Tioga pass. That pass doesn't open up until late spring, sometimes not until June depending on the snow pack. If you are planning an April trip to Yosemite, I would take 58 as others have mentioned.

He said late April or early May. Tioga usually opens in the first of May. So if you would like to take my advice, simply check the website to see if Tioga has opened or not when you are on your trip.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
If you want the scenic route and to get off the Interstate, take a right at Kingman AZ. Go up through Vegas and either take 95 up or cut over to 395 through Death Valley or one of the other roads and then come in to Yosemite the back way on 120. Or just take the Interstate up and enter the park on 140 or 41. 140 is the easiest road into the park and remains at the lowest altitude.

120 is Tioga pass. That pass doesn't open up until late spring, sometimes not until June depending on the snow pack. If you are planning an April trip to Yosemite, I would take 58 as others have mentioned.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
djgarcia wrote:
Texas to Calif.
I don't know where you are starting from in Texas but I would not recommend I-10 or I-20. I would take the straightest route out of Texas by heading north to I-40. Then go west to I-58 out of Barstow. Stay on hwy. 58 to Hwy 99 then north to Yosemite.:)
+1 for this route.
Although I think it is CA-58

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Texas to Calif.
I don't know where you are starting from in Texas but I would not recommend I-10 or I-20. I would take the straightest route out of Texas by heading north to I-40. Then go west to I-58 out of Barstow. Stay on hwy. 58 to Hwy 99 then north to Yosemite.:)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
101 is definitely the best route. I5 is really boring (except once you get to Shasta) and is usually heavily traveled with large trucks with cars doing 80 or better. From Barstow (end of I40), take Hwy 58 over to Bakersfield and go up 99 to Sacramento.

A much better route (albeit longer) if you have the time, would be to take Hwy 395 off Hwy 58 and go north up Owens valley and the Eastern Sierras to Reno then I80 over to Sacramento. The Eastern Sierras are gorgeous this time of the year.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

JackDN0610
Explorer
Explorer
Going to US 101 from Williams is a very doable route. You come out just south of Willits. Stay on US 101 all the way up the coast. Many nice campgrounds along the way, both in CA and OR. Have done this route many times pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel. You can also go straight across I80 from Sacramento to US 101 and come out north of San Francisco.

It can be a little foggy sometimes along the coast in late April or early May, but the drive is still nice.
Jack and Jo
2014 Cardinal 3450RL 4 Slides
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW