cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bighorns Highway 16

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
OK, folks. I do believe I am overthinking this a bit, but I wanted some extra opinion and I know where to find it. Been quite confident all week on our trip across country from Florida to Yellowstone. We are in Custer, SD and tomorrow make the trek to Yellowstone.

Shooting for Highway 16 through the Bighorns, my TV is 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 CTD. Towing a 2015 FR Salem 26TBUD. The wife and I. TT at roughly 7500 lbs. Everything tells me I am fine regarding the truck/trailer/route combo.

Reading online too much has the Florida guy overthinking it, I believe. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD
12 REPLIES 12

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks. Checking in from Gardiner, Montana. First time with decent signal for days. Thanks for all the comments. Made it through easily.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
14 is a beautiful run also. The posted pictures are 14 A running west to east

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, oh...no response from the OP. Hope they made it, or didn't take Hwy 14A by mistake......
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going down.... shove that gear down as low as you need to. Don't ride the brake continually. If you need to brake, brake firmly and then let off. Watch for motorcyclists.

Enjoy the trip, it's gorgeous!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
It's a beautiful drive enjoy

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, it's not a difficult drive. Going UP from Buffalo, it's a very scenic drive, not overly steep, but a bit curvy. You'll pass a lot of dude/guest ranches in that area.

Going DOWN, it's a somewhat long decline to Ten Sleep, but again not overly difficult. Follow the advice of the folks above.

One thing to be aware of...this highway is very popular with motorcyclists, so you want to be extra cautious on curves, just a heads up that they might be coming the other way, or from behind, may pass you when the opportunity arises.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that going DOWN has as much to be concerned about as going UP. Don't ride your brakes, like I did the first time I drove through there.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yep, I've towed through the Bighorns, been snowmobiling there also.

I camped at the Red Lodge KOA, before doing the Bear Tooth hwy. This did have great views, fun switchbacks, and was an easy/great ride on my motorcycle, just hauling my small tent, and gear. 🙂

Jerry

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want fun? go over on the Bear Tooth hwy starting in Red Lodge MT. great views!

Either way the Big Horns are nothing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If my old F150 can pull 7500 over that hill you should have no troubles with a diesel.
I did 14 eastbound and 16 westbound a few years ago. It slowed me down a bit but the road is fine.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be fine, it was the only place I've run out of HP though, had the pedal at the firewall and she wasn't doing more than 50, not sure if the woman in the little BMW convertible was amused or pissed off. Everywhere else we've gone I've been able to keep to within a few MPH of the speed limit or the corner caution speed.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sit back and let that tractor motor purrrrr :B

Tow/Haul Mode ON

You'll be just fine

See my signature.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'