cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calgary to Grand Canyon - what not to miss on the way?

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
My family and another, both with 12 and 15 year old teens are looking into going from Calgary to the Grand Canyon at the end of June. Yes it will be hot. We have a truck and 30' trailer and our friends have a 30' motor home. We are going to try to see what we can in 2 to 3 weeks. I know that there is way too much to see everything but I'm hoping you can help me make a few priorities, give me ideas on where it would be nice to camp, things to avoid, etc. We are hoping to put in a good days drive (6 to 8 hours) and then stay for a couple of days and then drive again. Likely wouldn't be staying at anyplace for more than a couple of nights.

So besides the canyon great things to see that I've found so far include: Yellowstone, Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Hoover Dam / Vegas - Am also looking for some place not too far out of the way where we could go white water rafting.

Thanks much for the help.
10 REPLIES 10

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Great to hear from a local. Have you ever done the day rafting through the canyon with the helicopter out? A bit pricey but looks really nice.

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . yes, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder ! We SO prefer the North Rim of GCNP. It's higher, cooler, wilder, & WAY less crowded. It's said that 9 out every 10 visitors go to the South Rim. The South Rim has more buses full of tourists, more t-shirt shops & more snack bars. There are several places to see the Canyon either way, and. . . it's the same canyon. It's farther from, say Phoenix, because you have to go around the canyon, but from Page or Utah, closer. We love that place. regards, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions!

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Williams, Az. Has great train ride to Grand Canyon and RV campgronds--also,Route 66., Lars

http://experiencewilliams.com/

If you go to Bryce Canyon Nat. Park--this is a great place to camp:
http://www.rubysinn.com/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Glen Canyon Dam has tours also. http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

The south side of the Grand Canyon has more areas to see the canyon as one drives along the 'side' road & has a long drive along it, if I remember correctly. They have shuttles one can take to see some selections of it.

One could see a lot of Bryce Canyon National Park in one day & an overnight as well as Zion. We did Zion with a day trip, not taking the TT.

Edit addition:
There was a heat wave in the area when we visited Bryce & Zion, therefore we went to higher elevation to spend some time in the area. We camped at a Forest Service Campground (Dixie Nat'l Forest, I believe) at Panguitch Lake & drove the back country to Zion one day. We got into very high elevations on the route, very cool & it wanders through the upper sections of Cedar Breaks Nat'l Mon't. We wanted to see Bristlecone pines. It was a detour loop back to US 89 using UT 143 & UT 14. A neat drive.
The oldest trees in Cedar Breaks National Monument are the Bristlecone Pine. One Bristlecone is over 1,600 years old. You can view this tree on the Spectra Point Trail.

I didn't know about this: "Cedar Breaks offers a spectacular camping experience at 10,000 feet elevation. Ranger-led evening programs are offered on weekends in the 26-site campground." Might be neat.

If only doing one & it isn't 100 degree weather, Zion would have a lot to do, even wading/splashing in the river there.

One thing I regret doing was taking the kids on a trail ride at Bryce. But it was hot at the time.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, they still do tours.
Hoover Dam tours
I would do the south rim. More to see and the Sun will be at your back so canyon is more visible. Great photo opts mornings and evening.
Go to NPS.gov for good information on US national parks

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - haven't heard of Canyonlands - will check it out.
Would you bother with both sides of the Grand Canyon?

Hoover dam was my sons idea - do they still do the tours?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Canyonlands NP, Arches.
I would skip Hoover Dam and go through Page, AZ. Only thing to see is the new bridge. It is more of a wonder! and see Glen Canyon area at the upper end of the Grand Canyon. Great Dinosaur exhibit

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
I know we won't have time for much - too many nice places to pick from - that's why we need the help. For example would you pick Bryce Canyon or Zion national park to spend a day or two? Mesa Verde looks incredible but it is a bit off the path - worth the drive?
Thanks.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that short a time frame I would not try to see too many places.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper