cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route Marion nc thru mountains to pick-up I-80

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
have a gas MH. trying to decide best route to get to Kingsport, VA from Marion NC. Driving a 36 foot gas MH with toad. appears can take I-40 to I-81, N226 to US-23N to I-81, or I-26 to I-81. Anyone have driven any of the routes would appreciate feelback.
6 REPLIES 6

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
richard_123 wrote:
have a gas MH. trying to decide best route to get to Kingsport, VA from Marion NC. Driving a 36 foot gas MH with toad. appears can take I-40 to I-81, N226 to US-23N to I-81, or I-26 to I-81. Anyone have driven any of the routes would appreciate feelback.

OK Flatlander. :B You are going to want to skip right on past 226. It is TWISTY, IT is STEEP, with 15 mph curves. If you want to go up the mountain out of Marion. Use 221. For your trip I-40 to I-26 would prolly be best
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
kyhawk wrote:
I-40 to I-81 is easy enough with our rig. You have to climb Black Mountain, but as long as you take your time it's no problem. I've never done 23 or 26, just I-40.
, I pulled Black going west w/ a 275 v10 14k down to 45 put kept walking ,to ashville. I've been that way going to DC 81 is a fine road
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 to I-81 is easy enough with our rig. You have to climb Black Mountain, but as long as you take your time it's no problem. I've never done 23 or 26, just I-40.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Interstates have a set maximum grade which is around 7% I think. The problem is this may really extend the grade for many miles... Just get over in the truck lane and enjoy the ride...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Both 26 and 40 are very scenic with some pretty steep grades and curves but nothing to really fret about if you take your time and drive sensibly. Save your brakes by using lower gears. Stay in right lanes and let the fast traffic go by. Although some of the grades are steep they don't last as long as the Rockies and all Interstates are drivable with your gasser. Just don't be in a hurry. I've driven these two routes in cars, a Class B, pulling a big Montana 5ver, and a MH gasser. You will see every type of vehicle using these two routes. I would stay on the Interstates thru the mountains. Some of the local roads can be much worse.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Mountain Directory East would be helpful for this trip and the next.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)