cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California drought

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
"Fishing and camping in much of California has been outlawed, to protect endangered salmon and guard against fires."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/us/severe-drought-has-us-west-fearing-worst.html?_r=0
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER
22 REPLIES 22

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While So. Cal. has not been to badly bashed in this thread, all of CAL seems to be accused of using too much water. I just sent my Bro in No. Cal. several articles regarding water usage in Cal so I can't quote them but it is well know that No. Cal. including our state capital uses three times the water per capita as So Cal. We sort of discount the water used by the central valley as it feeds most of the USA.

We in Los Angeles were told to reduce our water consumption by 20% about four years ago. It was voluntary but our Mayor and City Council raised our rates dramatically, if you used more than 80% of the preceding year. We were gone for ten weeks in the fall and our bill was higher than it had ever been during one single month. It turned out there was a defective sprinkler valve on our hillside and the water ran for a couple of days. Our water bill went up over a hundred dollars more than the preceding month.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Hetch Hetchy Reservoir is inside Yosemite Park and it is owned by the City of San Francisco. Water goes from Hetch Hetchy all the way to San Francisco in a pipeline, versus a canal. Because of this San Francisco has some of the best drinking water in the State.

But funny thing about Hetch Hetchy. The Hetch Hetchy valley (that is now under water) is said by some to have been as spectacular as Yosemite Valley. Lots of people did not want the dam built. There has been a movement in recent years to drain the lake and remove the dam and restore the valley. It is estimated that it would cost the City of San Francisco and the other users of this water, about a billion dollars to restore the valley and to locate and construct another source for their water. Without getting into too much detail, we all know the politics of San Francisco and a lot of the residents there are the main protestors against building any other reservoirs in California. Yet when it comes to restoring this valley and them having to pay for it, well they are all against that. There was a recent measure on the ballot in San Francisco regarding draining Hetch Hetchy. I think it was just some type of an advisory measure and it may have provided funds to study the issue. That ballot measure was overwhelming defeated by the voters of San Francisco.

Now I'm far from an enviro whacko and I want to see more dams built in California, but I also believe Hetch Hetchy Reservoir never should have been built and now it should be drained. There are many other places dams could be built that would not destroy that type of landscape.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Extreme weather guru Joe Bastardi covered that today and said the pattern is a repeat from several previous draughts. It may last for years. Primary (but not only) cause is both Atlantic and Pacific water temperatures.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hetch Hetchy - isn't that the main reservoir for San Francisco? It's the next valley north of Yosemite. In fact it is in the park. Think how much water could be stored if they dammed Yosemite as well. This past summer a major forest fire burned to the shores of HH. Fire along hwy 120 last summer

It's the Central Valley Project (Federal) that takes water from Shasta Lake and Trinity Lake and provides irrigation water to the San Joaquin Valley. The California State Water Project taps the Feather River, and feeds the cities (SF and LA) as well as some agriculture. And the grandfather of these NS projects the LA's Owens Valley on the east side of the Sierras.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Hetch Hetchy water all goes to San Francisco and surrounding cities, not South. The water in the California Aqueduct system does go into Southern California. Now in defense of Southern Cal (which I don't like to do) it is a lot of their tax dollars too that created the giants system of reservoirs and canals. We wouldn't be able to capture all that water without this system.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
It should also be noted that northern California exports a LOT of water south. (Hetch Hetchi). The water situation has fueled a debate about two Californias for decades. The current drought will refuel that discussion. Sixty years ago they had the foresight to build the California Aquiduct System. Today, environmentalists would fight it every inch of the way. Poor field mice can't cross the cement canal.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Not to get too much into politics here, but California has lots of people and lots of demand for water, yet very little water storage capability has been added over the last few decades. Every time a new reservoir is proposed groups of people oppose and it gets shut down. We know we have droughts and we know that every single year, even in the good years, there is a six month period where we get almost no rain. If during those good year winters we had the ability to store more water, then in these bad drought years we wouldn't have the problems we do.

And just for info, this won't be just a California problem. California's agriculture industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and supplies food all over the Country and the world. Agriculture also uses 80% of the water. If that water isn't there then all us are going to be paying some high prices at the grocery store in the coming months.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got a good rainfall in the mountains Jeff here at the coast just over .10 inches for the weekend storms. 😞
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Update: 11PM, Sunday, Feb. 8th, 2014.
It has rained constantly here on the west slope at 4K ft. for 4 days solid. The culprit is a river of rain called the "Pineapple Express".
I just stood at our weather station readout and watched the storm total of precip turn over to 10.00 inches of liquid. We have very porous soil and there was very little runoff. The local water storage lakes and reservoirs have reported amazing water heights.
If you read a page ago, I told a story of some drought years preceding a big amount of rainfall. This may turn out to be the same scenario. Let's hope.
In the time it took to get this post together we are now at 10.27 inches of rainfall.
At the start it was 3" of snow; then rain, then again 3" of snow, then rain. For days.
amazing.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
At times in the past F&G has actually raised limits so more fish would be taken rather than have them die from the lake or river getting too small or warm. Another issue for a lot water bodies is when they get to shallow or slow the water warms up from normal temps and shocks the fish.
Costs lots of money to clean up dead fish washed up all over the shoreline and because of the volume they can't just leave them.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I see you guys out there are going to get some precip. good deal.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
yr2017 wrote:
Garry&Gayle wrote:
This is probably what he is talking about before the news media screwed it all up. Clicky

NYT like most American newspapers merely copy and print articles without fact checking. In this case, they weren't wrong as evidenced by the link above.

THE NEW YORK TIMES wrote:
Fishing and camping in much of California has been outlawed, to protect endangered salmon and guard against fires. Many people said they had already begun to cut back drastically on taking showers, washing their car and watering their lawns

California Fish and Wildlife has restricted fishing in certain streams/rivers and looks like mostly central California and most of California is open to fishing and there is no ban/outlawed camping anywhere in California.There has been NO legal requirement by the State of California declared and people are watering their lawns, taking showers all the normal thing people do.
You see NY Times has once again NOT checked their facts,but just ran with it like the dummies they are.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
yr12017,
Nowhere in the article referenced by Garry&Gayle does it refer to closure of any camping in California yet you state it verifies the original article. The NY Times article is one of the most poorly researched and written article I have read in my entire lifetime. I appreciate your wanting to share useful information with the forum but the NYT article does not pass the litmus test for useful information. The second article is nothing but facts. The NYT article is a bunch of malarkey. If your intent is to throw mud at California there are tons of areas that beg to be addressed but this is not one.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:
This is probably what he is talking about before the news media screwed it all up. Clicky

NYT like most American newspapers merely copy and print articles without fact checking. In this case, they weren't wrong as evidenced by the link above.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER