cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ft Myers, Fl to Stamford ,Ct

dhalvatzis
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to Stamford,Ct at the end of September. This will be our first long trip. I am looking for the best route to take. I am expecting to take 3 days to get there. I would appreciate any help on a good route along with recommendations on stop over places. Not Walmarts or truck stops. DW won't have any of that.

Dan
5 REPLIES 5

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
One last suggestion. If you use the new Good Sam route planner and use the avoid tolls feature you will get routes that avoid the major cities and costly tolls. Also Coastal Ga Tall Pines Roanoke Rapids and Fayetteville rv resort are our favorite overnight stops on 95.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know too much about all the southern routes, but when we did our trips to Disney we overnighted at Florence RV Park right off I95 in South Carolina: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/South_Carolina/Florence.html Some of the more recent reviews (last we were there was 2011) are only mediocre, but it is within sight of I95 and has pull throughs (no disconnecting our TT).

It is possible to scoot quickly through New York City on I95, which is the quickest way "as the crow flies"... IF you can do it between roughly 12AM and 6AM. You may have construction, but it is usually not too bad. We usually plan to leave our house so that we go through NYC on I95 around 5AM, and usually(!) don't have any problems. We have been stuck at those early hours due to construction or an accident, so it happens. Any other times (and doesn't matter which days, sometimes weekends are worse) I wouldn't try to go through NYC. Having said this, the physical condition of the roadway is another story. Frost heaves and damaged road can make your camper bounce and bang all over the place. You go from brand new paved smooth road to moon cratered road constantly. Just the way it is! (so, after re-reading that paragraph, I guess I should have just said to go around NYC, lol!)

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
dhalvatzis wrote:
I am going to Stamford,Ct at the end of September. This will be our first long trip. I am looking for the best route to take. I am expecting to take 3 days to get there. I would appreciate any help on a good route along with recommendations on stop over places. Not Walmarts or truck stops. DW won't have any of that.
Dan

To make Stamford in 3 days is some hard driving..I do tally to Oxford,Ct in 2 1/2 days but..I drive 650 miles the first day....550 miles the 2 nd day and then 100 miles the 3rd day......and you might be just a little longer
But, I would go straight up 75 to exit 201 in Ga....there is a Flying J there..take Ga rt 23 across to Ga rt 16 in Jackson then 16 to Ga rt 83 in Monticello to I-20,,,this is a truck route with little traffic and really nice ride about 45 miles total...stay on 20 to Columbia,SC and go north on I-77 to I-81..stay on 81 past Harrisburg,Pa to I-78 78 to I-287 north to 87 in Sufferin,NY....there across the Tap Bridge to Stamford
I probably would try to make Tall Pines C/G in Elko,Ga @ exit 127 the 1st night...then to Lee Hi C/G in Lexington,Va @ exit 197 the 2nd night ...and Stamford the 3 rd night......Hope this helps....not sure if this is shorter than Bills route....but I've done that one and like it if I was all ready on the east side of Fla....give me a shout if any questions..Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would go up I-75 to exit 224 (US301 N) to I-95 N. We like Coastal Georgia RV park in Brunswick GA. They have paved pull thrus. It's about 6.5 hrs from Fort Myers. Then I would do what BillMFI said. In Richmond VA take I-64 to I-81 to get around DC. I-78 then 287. 2nd stop could be Mayberry Campground in Mt Airy NC. Then a favorite is Luray KOA. Exit 81 at New Market. Make sure you follow the directions on their website. http://koa.com/campgrounds/luray We are located 2 miles north of Luray: 400 yards east (right) off US Route 340 on Kimball Road. Do not approach from the east on Kimball Road heading west. You can follow US340 north to reconnect with I-81 at Winchester. This route would be 3 nights and 4 days. About 6.5 hours between each stop. Should be beautiful in September!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Shortest route is 75 to 301 to 10 to 95. Lots of good RV parks along the way. Decide how many miles per day and ask about places to stay at those locations. Lots of us have driven that route many times. You can also avoid the area from DC to Ny by heading over to I81 which longer but easier to drive.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂