cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California drought

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
"Fishing and camping in much of California has been outlawed, to protect endangered salmon and guard against fires."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/us/severe-drought-has-us-west-fearing-worst.html?_r=0
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER
22 REPLIES 22

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Garry&Gayle wrote:
This is probably what he is talking about before the news media screwed it all up. Clicky

Thanks for post that link, I'm not surprise that THE NEW YORK TIMES screwed it up again, it's what they do all the time. I've save that link you posted encase I come across a miss reported story.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably what he is talking about before the news media screwed it all up. Clicky

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
If they can't talk about the polar vortex, they have to have something to talk about.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
yr2017 wrote:
"Fishing and camping in much of California has been outlawed, to protect endangered salmon and guard against fires."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/us/severe-drought-has-us-west-fearing-worst.html?_r=0

Like jefe4x4, I've seen droughts come and go in California. I'd read the linked story you posted and wondered WHERE in California is this ban on camping and fishing at?, I just checked Cal state park website and it's business as usual, no listing of closed parks, Death Valley is open for business no shut down there ,our local lake Perris is open for use.

REI reported that they have a up swing in camping gear due to the mild winter weather, people are going camping.

So the bottom line is WHERE the hell did THE NEW YORK TIMES get the idea that camping and fishing was outlawed in California or most of it?
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago after an incredible 17 feet of snow at 4000 feet here on the West Slope, I had to have, nay build a TC and tractor shed. This year it seems I could have waited and not been a slave to the extreme wet/snowy weather. Yes, it is dry. As dry as ever, I'm told. But as a man once said, "This too shall pass." He was asked to develop a phrase that would both comfort the afflicted and chasten the proud.
Close by several wells have failed, luckily not on our underground 'river'.
Remember: the most you can expect from the weather is change.
In 1976-77 in So. Cal. we had a terrible drought. All the weather pundants were wringing their hands and saying, "Oh, this is SO serious. We'll never recover." By 1978 it was all made up in a few months. In one day, a friend of mine was washed right out of his home in trail cyn. in the San Gabriels with an astonishing 26 inches of rain that day! And they were still seeding the clouds as his house went down Trail Creek. He climbed a huge oak tree with his priceless Stradavari Cello and rode out the night. The trash racks failed. The dams failed. Miles of road washed completely out. He found his yellow Jaguar, wheels up, only the rear axle showing, two years and 2 miles down stream later.
Yep, change is a-comin', one way or t'other.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
We got the most rain last night we've had in over a year a half inch. We we're at the grocery store when it started people were all giggle you'd think their team won the super bowl! Now we only need about another 50!
Gary

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
While they may be closing some salmon stream watersheds to allow undisturbed salmon migrations that is a long way from outlawing camping and fishing in much of California. By the way, someone should tell the author that Albuquerque is in New Mexico, not California.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
California has had two megadroughts in the last 1200 years. One lasted about 230 years and fifty years after that ended another one that lasted about 150 years. The article in the local paper today said that cities could survive,just not the agriculture(80% of California's water goes to Ag.) Lets hope the current situation doesn't get that bad!
E.Lee Galik