cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlsbad,N.M to Florida

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
After spending our summer in New Mexico,we will make a stop in Carlsbad and head back to Florida on I10. Not looking forward to driving through Houston,any alternatives?
Any must see's along the way? Time is not an issue. Towing a 29' TT
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
When we headed East from Carlsbad, we took US-180 to US-385 to Lubbock where we visited the Buddy Holly Center, Windmill Museum, National Ranching Heritage Center and American Museum of Agriculture.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Both SA and Houston have bad rush hours. If you go through in the middle of the day they are not bad. By the way, traffic in Houston moves faster through town than it does outside of Loop 610. I20 skirts both Fort Worth and Dallas on their south sides and traffic was minimal the last time I used it. Don't know what the case is for Shreveport. Being a south central Texas guy totally familiar with I10 through the state I would definitely go the I20 route if I was in your travel situation.
Currently Between RVs

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember to pick up I-12 in Baton Rouge to avoid dropping down and going through New Orleans! Been there, done that!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel Estate wrote:
i also dread the traffic in Houston, but have desided to go straight thru on 1-10 instead of using the bypass, i have found the bypass does NOT save any time , but you get to pay for the priviledge.

We didn't find going straight through Houston on I-10 coming or going in 2012 from San Antonio a problem. For us, that was the fastest, easiest way.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

grandpaswagon
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
I've been making that trek for decades and there's no reasonable way to avoid Houston. The best alternate route is to take US180 east through Hobbs and Seminole and join I20 at Big Spring. Then use I20 to cross into Louisiana and take I49 at Shreveport back down to I10. This is actually a few miles shorter than the I10 route.

I agree with this - good advice. I have done it and find the different roads a nice alternative from the boring and predictable all I-10.

Wheel_Estate
Explorer
Explorer
i also dread the traffic in Houston, but have desided to go straight thru on 1-10 instead of using the bypass, i have found the bypass does NOT save any time , but you get to pay for the priviledge.
Rick & MaryAnn
drive a Phaeton with
SMI brake stopping a Jeep toad

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I've been making that trek for decades and there's no reasonable way to avoid Houston. The best alternate route is to take US180 east through Hobbs and Seminole and join I20 at Big Spring. Then use I20 to cross into Louisiana and take I49 at Shreveport back down to I10. This is actually a few miles shorter than the I10 route.
Currently Between RVs