cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A 30 foot on Dalton or Dempster Highway

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Is there someone that ever took his Class A on the Dalton or Dempster Highway? Or someone you know.

I was on the Dalton with a truck camper in 2012 but never saw any Class A on that road, I saw 6 campers on a 7 day return trip. There was a few truck campers, a few vans, one fithwheel.

I wonder how it handles on gravel roads, especially when there is some road construction with rough gravel.

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
22 REPLIES 22

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to take the Dempster Hwy this summer in our Fiver. How much of risk is to go that way with a fifth wheel as opposed to RV.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
I did not find the Dalton very rough, it was bumpy at time, so we slow down enough to be safe, the only few bad parts where construction area with big rocks gravel road, but with good tires, I think it should be OK too. Class A have double rear wheels rated higher than on my truck and they weight maybe 3 to 5000 lbs more.

My truck camper combination weight is 13,500 lbs, single rear wheels with normal 18 inch 10 ply tires. I never had a problem with the tires for the past 50,000 miles and I went on many gravel roads, and up to Deadhorse. I had one flat tire caused by a small rock crossing the Denalie Highway, this road was pretty bad for small sharp rocks.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I did not find the Dalton very rough, it was bumpy at time, so we slow down enough to be safe, the only few bad parts where construction area with big rocks gravel road, but with good tires, I think it should be OK too. Class A have double rear wheels rated higher than on my truck and they weight maybe 3 to 5000 lbs more.

My truck camper combination weight is 13,500 lbs, single rear wheels with normal 10 ply tires. I never had a problem with the tires for the past 50,000 miles and I went on many gravel roads, and up to Deadhorse. I had one flat tire caused by a small rock crossing the Denalie Highway, this road was pretty bad for small sharp rocks.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
And I certainly didn't mean I would laugh. I've been known to do things that others might laugh at and it never bothered me one bit. I think you could easily take a Class A. They take semis all the time so size isn't an issue. It's all about tires, weight, suspension strength, interior stowage, etc. like I said. Just wanted to clarify.

It's mostly about how you drive. If you drive fast enough, you can break any rig on these roads - if you're careful enough, any rig with good tires (or enough spare tires!) will get you to Inuvik or Deadhorse.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I certainly didn't mean I would laugh. I've been known to do things that others might laugh at and it never bothered me one bit. I think you could easily take a Class A. They take semis all the time so size isn't an issue. It's all about tires, weight, suspension strength, interior stowage, etc. like I said. Just wanted to clarify.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
I have twice, to Marion Campground, located 5 miles north of Coldfoot. Each time I left the motorhome in the campground and drove to Deadhorse in my tow vehicle. In 2005 with a 36' MH and in 2013 with a 40' MH.

The road in 2013 was in good condition except for about 13 miles that was under construction north of Coldfoot. You can access my trip log in my signature.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven the Dempster many times in a particularly tough Class A, an MCI coach. I've seen a fair number of Class Cs on that road over the years, maybe As as well though that doesn't stick out. I'm currently shopping for a 29-31 foot Class A, though, and it will be going on the Dempster, regardless of what folks like Dave think. The Dempster is no tougher than the Taylor and Top of the World, and there are LOTS of Class As on that road combination. Edit: just checked my Dempster Highway Log and see a trailer, a 5th wheel, a Class C and my MCI in the various photos.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the Dalton in 2012 with a 2500 truck and pop-up camper. Great trip.

Saw one guy with a travel trailer (30' ish) all the way to Deadhorse. He spent time in Coldfoot both ways (coming and going) getting replacement trailer tires and getting spring shackle welding repairs done.

I never saw Class C let alone Class A but we did see an Earth Roamer motorhome (built for four-wheeling.

I think somebody could take a Class A but I expect he would at best be laughed at and at worst have some very expensive repair and/or towing costs.

It's all a matter of vehicle weight, balanced with speed and tire pressure. Many with high pressure in tires just slam their units to death on rough roads. Reducing tire pressure can help a lot in preventing jarring shock damage to parts and interiors. But again it needs to be balanced against weight to prevent tire damage.