cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty of some CO routes?

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 6000 lb trailer (loaded) with a half ton gas pickup running at about 80-85% of its spec values in terms of payload. Being from Texas where things are flat or at best some rolling hills, my wife is concerned about the some of these CO routes both in terms of how tough they are on our towing set up as well as how unnerving they are for fairly squeamish passengers. Your comments are welcome:

US-160 from South Fork to Pagosa Springs

US-160 then US-550 Pagosa Springs to Durango

US-84 Chromo to Pagosa Springs

Pueblo to Buena Vista (three routes shown here... best one?)

I understand many of you are much more experienced than we are, so I'd appreciate answers from the perspective of a rookie, rather than a grizzled veteran.

Thank you!
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch
13 REPLIES 13

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
As to the diesel justification, we bought a Tundra with the 9,500 tow package to pull a 7,600 lb trailer in early 2013. I've had a diesel before, and very much did not want a diesel again. I'm a relative newbie, and I also have everything set up around 80-85% of limits.

16 months after we bought this we did a 4,500 mile trip from Ala to Utah, and just got back late June from a 3,600 mile trip to Montrose and Colorado Springs, CO.

The gas Tundra has done everything we have asked it to do, including pulling the trailer over Monarch Pass (11,300 feet) 4 weeks ago (also North Pass and Raton Pass). We never get below 50 MPH or over 4,500 RPM going up anything we've been across so far. It was actually more of a challenge going down those mountains than up --- you have to set a strategy to use the brakes as little as possible. It probably took us twice as long to go down Monarch Pass as going up, but we did not create a traffic jam -- every other RV and big truck was doing the same thing. Low gear is your friend on the other side of the hill.

We get passed by a lot of diesels going up the hills, but that's ok. Our gas truck is quiet and smooth and gets about 9 MPG here in the SE where there aren't headwinds and tailwinds. Solo it will push 20 MPG on a trip.

We found the Mountain Directory for Truckers to be very informative. I bought both the east and west directories. I planned our route around the west version, and used the east version as a reference point for grades we have traveled here in the South.

Take your time and don't push the truck and you will be fine. You can always justify the diesel to the boss on extended range, bigger trailer, or faster trips if that is what you want.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
My last trip with my half-ton Suburban pulling a ~6,000-lb trailer was to Yellowstone and Colorado. It was my last trip because soon after I bought my 3/4-ton Suburban.

We went over Powder River Pass in Wyoming - elevation 9,666 feet. My half-ton had the 5.3 engine, 4-speed auto transmission, and 4.10 gears. Best we could manage up the last few hills was 25 MPH in first gear. Fortunately, it was late in the afternoon, so traffic was light and there were very few cars on the road to get mad at us.

Going down was fine - I let the transmission and the engine do all the work. My brakes weren't even warm after the descent.

Was I stressed? No. However, I lived in Colorado for 10 years (plenty of experience driving in the mountains), and I'm also a seasoned road warrior, so I'm used to that kind of thing. Someone with less experience probably would not have fared as well.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For your western travels you might want to purchase 'The Mountain Directory for RVers and Truckers - West Edition'. Even though we absolutely love mountain driving we always refreshed ourselves on the routes.

Purchase it from the publishers, not from Amazon which is extremely expensive for some reason. It's should cost you about $22.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
"I understand many of you are much more experienced than we are, so I'd appreciate answers from the perspective of a rookie, rather than a grizzled veteran"

As a rookie going down Wolf Creek Pass your first time, you need to use the slow down by down shifting technique. If you rely on your brakes all the way down, you won't have any brakes at the bottom.
Jim

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like any of those routes are doable for you. Pueblo to BV via 50 and 24 is one I can verify as I've towed a 33' fiver on that route with no issue. Remember that CO is flush with RV's and you never hear of anyone really getting stuck in a situation unless they go on a 4WD trail over a 14000' peak. Very rare. Stick to a main road and you'll do fine. I would avoid Independence pass in anything longer than a Lincoln Continental is my only caveat.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companion™ 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
It is obvious that you want to get a diesel so go ahead and use this trip as a reason to do so. You won't regret it, however, when your better half reads these posts and realizes what you did you may well regret it.

Well, we want to do this east-south CO trip this summer, and then next year we want to do TX-west CO-Yellowstone/Grand Tetons-Glacier NP-Black Hills/Badlands SD-back home over the course of 6 weeks or so.

That's a lot of towing and in the mountains. So it has me thinking. I want a safe, enjoyable experience. If my current truck will provide that, that's my preference. On the other hand, if it won't (or can do it, but will rag the truck out), better to explore my options now while it's a year away.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Those are all paved highways, therefore not difficult.
The difficult ones are not paved and one lane wide.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
It is obvious that you want to get a diesel so go ahead and use this trip as a reason to do so. You won't regret it, however, when your better half reads these posts and realizes what you did you may well regret it.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I hasten to say that I always take the Cotapaxi cut off. I was just keeping my comment general about the road. I agree completely.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
texasAUtiger wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily take any of the three. I'd head south to Poncha Springs, then east on US 50 all the way to Pueblo.

I agree with taking CO 69 instead of 96 if you choose to go through Westcliffe. Hardscrabble Canyon on 96 is pretty steep and windy. If you do take the route through Westcliffe, keep an eye out for the turn onto CO Rd 1A. There's a sign saying Cotopaxi 7 and that's where you'll turn. (I make this drive four or five times a year.) If you're coming the other from Salida, the turn isn't obvious until you're right on it. It's just past the liquor store and just before the Cotopaxi Store.

As far as four lane roads, even US 50 is two lane most of the way, as are big stretches of the other roads you've asked about.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
NO! I should have said. That road from Walsenburg to US 50 near Texas Creek is a pretty narrow 2 lane road, but it cuts off so many miles that we always take it. There is very little traffic, so the fact that it is only two lane is not much of a problem.

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:

US 160 South Fork to Pagosa Springs. This is Wolf Creek Pass. I have towed over it several times each way pulling 34' fifth wheel. It is a major pass, but a good highway. I have never had any difficulty with it, but I have had a good bit of experience with mountain driving.

Should be no problem at all from Pagosa Springs to Durango. Pretty level elevation.

US 84 Chama, NM then Chromo, CO is one of our favorite routes. Beautiful ranching country. You should enjoy this drive with no difficulty.

From Texas we never go on up to Pueblo on our way to Buena Vista, but I will comment on both possibilities. We usually turn just past Walsenburg and take Colorado 69 through Gardiner and Westcliffe to join US 50 near Texas Creek. There are many sharp curves along the Arkansas river, but no problem if you watch your speed. The route from Pueblo is longer and includes even more of the canyon driving.

You should know that route 69 is about 85 miles with only Westcliffe as a pretty good town and Gardiner as a very tiny village. I always fuel up at the exit just past Walsenburg.

I have made this route from Texas and back more times than I can number, so if I can offer any more suggestions or answer any questions I'll be glad to respond to email or PM.

I will also add that Raton Pass might be a very good first experience with mountain driving. I-25 is an excellent road over the pass with lanes for passing. We often stay at the RV park at the top of the pass. I believe they now call it "Raton Pass RV" It used to be called "Cedar Rail."

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Are all of those (including your Co 69 "shortcut") 4 lane roads?

I am curious to see if I am begging for a 3/4 ton diesel as we make this trip. 😉

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

US 160 South Fork to Pagosa Springs. This is Wolf Creek Pass. I have towed over it several times each way pulling 34' fifth wheel. It is a major pass, but a good highway. I have never had any difficulty with it, but I have had a good bit of experience with mountain driving.

Should be no problem at all from Pagosa Springs to Durango. Pretty level elevation.

US 84 Chama, NM then Chromo, CO is one of our favorite routes. Beautiful ranching country. You should enjoy this drive with no difficulty.

From Texas we never go on up to Pueblo on our way to Buena Vista, but I will comment on both possibilities. We usually turn just past Walsenburg and take Colorado 69 through Gardiner and Westcliffe to join US 50 near Texas Creek. There are many sharp curves along the Arkansas river, but no problem if you watch your speed. The route from Pueblo is longer and includes even more of the canyon driving.

You should know that route 69 is about 85 miles with only Westcliffe as a pretty good town and Gardiner as a very tiny village. I always fuel up at the exit just past Walsenburg.

I have made this route from Texas and back more times than I can number, so if I can offer any more suggestions or answer any questions I'll be glad to respond to email or PM.

I will also add that Raton Pass might be a very good first experience with mountain driving. I-25 is an excellent road over the pass with lanes for passing. We often stay at the RV park at the top of the pass. I believe they now call it "Raton Pass RV" It used to be called "Cedar Rail."