cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Medical - Canada

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I have often read on this forum about American visitors being unsure of their emergency medical coverage while visiting Canada or on their way through to Alaska.
Last week, a visiting American relative, who had no travel insurance, had a medical emergency. They went to the local doctors' clinic as they have done in the past, but found it closed for the night. They charge non residents about $70 for a quick look and the writing of a prescription. Feeling that they could wait until the following morning but preferring to get it look at right away, they phoned the emergency at our local hospital to find out the cost.
$880 to be looked at plus whatever the treatment would be!
Make a mental note, just in case you find yourself in the Great White North with a medical problem and don't have insurance
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!
17 REPLIES 17

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
B.C. news was recently covering the story of a woman who had medical travel insurance for her trip to the U.S.A. She was seriously injured while skydiving. Insurance did not cover the half-million dollar cost of treatment because the policy did not cover "extreme" sports. Her family & friends are fundraising now to help pay the US medical bills.

Be sure to read the fine-print.

One policy I purchased covered "sports" but not "competitive" or "professional" sports. Since I was in Oregon for a competitive event, I simply ensured I was extra cautious while competing!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

jmcarp
Explorer
Explorer
We had occasion to experience an ambulance trip from Lake Louise to Banff, then an overnight stay in the ER at the Banff hospital. We did not have travel insurance, and our US health insurance was not accepted. Our only option was to pay the full amount using our credit card and seek reimbursement from our insurance company when we got back home. To their credit, the company reimbursed the full amount of the ambulance ride, the hospital charges, and the doctor's fees. So the moral is, if you don't purchase travel insurance when traveling out of the US, be sure your credit card carries a sufficient credit limit, and be sure to get copies of all receipts and medical records for the event for submission to your US insurance company.
'04 Provan Tiger CX

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We've had to use medical services out of province in Canada a couple of times (once in BC and once in Newfoundland at a hospital), all costs were directly covered using our Ontario health card, no additional costs. In terms of ambulance services I don't have any direct experience but I believe that ambulance costs are not covered in Ontario by the health card.

In the US I used a walk-in and another doctor a couple of times, I paid cash and got reimbursed by our insurance carrier, cost was $200 if covered by an insurance co., or $160 if you paid cash!! I guess that equates to the 80% coverage provided by the government plans down there.

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
For Canadians living in BC, I understand that for instance BC Medical is good for all across Canada.

My wife required help in an Ontario hospital and it was covered by our BC Medical Plan.

As I understand it, transportation from anywhere in Canada back to BC would not be covered.

For years I have been buying extra insurance through BCAA when going to Europe.

BCAA advised me also to buy their insurance when we stay in Canada. But I decided to refuse doing that. Any transportation across Canada would have to be paid out of my own pocket, which I can pay for. Our doctors and hospital services are covered across Canada by BC Medical.

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
WOW $6500! I have an annual family plan that costs me $160/year.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Medicare does not cover medical expenses when travelling except for a couple of exceptions. You must purchase a Medigap policy that costs between $6530 and $7680 per year in Florida. GeoBlue has travel coverage for more reasonable rates.

There is one good reason to not move to Florida. The ins I sell here in Mich is much less than those prices.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Medicare does not cover medical expenses when travelling except for a couple of exceptions. You must purchase a Medigap policy that costs between $6530 and $7680 per year in Florida. GeoBlue has travel coverage for more reasonable rates.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
From previous discussions on here, I did have the idea that medical travel insurance was not so much of a priority for Americans when they travel to Canada as it is for Canadians when they travel to the US.
I wonder though if there is the same cost disparity in the US with regards to Emergency and clinic costs?

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't bought it when traveling by road but I'm pretty sure my insurance from work would cover me. I'll probably look into travel insurance next time we drive (or sail) up to BC just in case.

We did buy it on our cruise to Alaska in 2012 and that turned out to be a good thing. DW managed to close her thumb in the back jamb of the bathroom door as we were leaving Ketchikan. She ended up having the nail removed, antibiotics, and at least one more visit to the medical center to have the dressing changed. Cost about $450 (on our room account!) which was covered without question by the insurance. We did have to pay up front but the reimbursement check came pretty quickly.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:

It works the same way on both sides of the border. My 5 year old son fell off his bike last summer while vacationing in Michigan. Small cut on his chin required 2 stitches. $900!

Now was that at an emergency or at a clinic?

The closest thing was an Emerg 45 minutes away. Luckily 100% covered by my insurance
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever you may travel you need health care coverage. You need it at home don't you.
We have bought ins. through our travel agent or bank. We now have coverage for travel through my hubby's policy at work.

I think the last time I bought it at the bank, excellent coverage for 3 weeks in Europe was around 200 dollars.

Really no matter what the cost, it is needed.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
A quick trip to the ER here would run you at least $1500

Might work out to be about the same, as that $880 was just the 'sign in' fee, didn't include any treatment.

It works the same way on both sides of the border. My 5 year old son fell off his bike last summer while vacationing in Michigan. Small cut on his chin required 2 stitches. $900!

Now was that at an emergency or at a clinic?

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Canadians travelling through northern B.C. or Yukon may also want additional travel insurance in case they need an ambulance, which usually aren't covered by provincial healthcare.

In remote areas, the ambulance is sometimes a helicopter. Many $$.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
When those of us from the great white north head to the south, we always purchase medical travel insurance.

When you travel to a different country, no matter how close to your own, it is always good to have the insurance as you never know.

Would you travel over seas without medical insurance?
Why would you travel to any country?

X2. It works the same way on both sides of the border. My 5 year old son fell off his bike last summer while vacationing in Michigan. Small cut on his chin required 2 stitches. $900!

Yes, it does indeed. In Canada Medipac is good for snowbird insurance