cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest route from Houston to Grand Canyon

lalaland
Explorer
Explorer
Please suggest the fastest route for traveling from Houston to Grand Canyon the end of May. Also, suggest good RV parks along the way that we may stop for water exchanging. We would like to drive for about 15 hours (including gas stops and RV park stops if need be) then stop for sleeping overnight then finish the trip the next morning.

Many thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

lalaland
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that we will have time to stop and visit. Any suggestions on places to stop and visit along the route recommended? Thanks!

JC435
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Tatest for going I-45 to DFW since you're going at the end of May. However, I would suggest avoiding 635 (LBJ) with a trailer since the construction is terrible. Instead, take the short (3 miles or so) hop over onto I-35E and north to Denton, west on 380 to Decatur and then 287 to Amarillo.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
My Streets and Maps program says go through Dallas for the fastest route.

IF you are driving anytime soon then stay south on I-10. You will have to contend with wind but no freezing weather.

However, When I drive Albuquerque to Houston I always go through Temple, Abilene, Lubbock, Clovis. No interstate but high speed TX and NM back roads.

Personal reminiscence you can skip reading follows:

In the good old days (60's) you could speed and not expect to get a ticket but now I am not so sure. I have only been stopped twice over the last 55 years of making that trip 2-3 times a yr. TX trooper let me off with a warning--I was doing 85 in a 75 and a NM trooper gave me a ticket for 10 over when I was doing 15+ over.

BTW: A ticket in NM is not reported to an insurance company if it is 10 miles out side of a city limits.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Flying J and Pilot truck stops are plentiful..... any route you choose. Just look for the signs along the highway or look them up on the web and you can get all their locations.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fastest is most likely I-45 to Dallas, US-287 to Amarillo, then I-40. It is the shortest (1300 miles) making use of good highways. This depends on what time you hit the Dallas area and how messy traffic is around Denton. Most of 287 will be lightly traveled two and four lane rural highway with speed limits at 60 to 70 mph.

I-10 to Phoenix, then I-17 north is 120 miles longer, and about 2-3 hours more time, but you spend all your time on Interstates so you feel you are going faster. Traffic areas that can slow you down depending on timing include San Antonio, El Paso (to Los Cruces) and through and around Phoenix.

Going I-10 to El Paso then I-25 up to I-40 is only seven miles longer than going through Phoenix, no real difference in time.

For me it would depend on my departure point in Houston. If leaving from Sugarland I would head out I-10. If leaving from the Woodlands I would go up I-45. Getting across Houston from one to the other would use up any difference in travel time on the next 1200 miles of the trip.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel will not be a problem.

If you are at 1/2 or less when you get to Junction, Tx. It would be best to stop and fuel up. There are several truck stops there.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

lalaland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Paulj, Rug and Brooks379 for the suggestion. Are there many Flying J along the way?

We have 4 adults driving so it should not be a problem. We will be camping at GC for about 3, 4 days.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! How long are you planning to stay at the Canyon?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
10 17 40 64 is the way I would go. You can get water at any Flying J/Pilot truckstop if you can't find RV parks.

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fastest.

I-10 west to Phoenix AZ , Then I-17 to Flagstaff AZ
I- 40 to Williams, Az then 64 to Grand Canyon.

Good luck driving that many hours a day.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps gives 3 suggestions, all within 30 minutes of each other (estimated time). Sooner or later you end up on I40. Distances are in the 1200-1400 mile range, with times around 19 hrs.

The I10 route is at the longer end of that range (it's not cutting any corners), but is all freeway (until you leave I40). Freeway speeds might give it a bit of advantage.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're not planning on seeing anything on the way up or back, why not fly and rent a car when you get there? It will be cheaper.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD LUCK
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

lalaland
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add that we will be in a 30ft class A RV. Thanks!