Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite wineries in WA and OR?

rp18104
Explorer
Explorer
We're touring WA and OR in September.

What are your favorite wineries in WA and OR? Specifically, I'm thinking those in the Woodinville and the Willamette Valley, but there may be others in areas that aren't as frequented.

What's a good route to take from Seattle through Woodinville and back to Seattle that would encompass several good wineries as well as provide a scenic drive? Dittoes for the Willamette Valley?

Suggestions for great winery restaurants for lunch or dinner - with good views?

Suggestions for your favorite local wine? We like whites and reds.

Thanks for your input.
9 REPLIES 9

Fuzzy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Woodinville is a good place to try a number of wines in a small area. Yes the wines are made from grapes from Eastern Washington and some of the Woodinville wineries may have tasting facilities over there also. There is an area south of Woodinville on Hwy 202 and the roundabout at NE 145th where a number of tasting rooms are. If you're driving a long rig you may have a difficult time getting around and finding a parking spot. You can walk to 20 or more tasting rooms in that one area. The Chateau St Michelle and Columbia winery are just west of there on 202 along with Red Hook Brewery and Woodinville Whiskey. There are a couple of good places to eat such as the Purple Cafe and the Barking Frog. You might want to narrow your choices down by focusing on the wines you like the most and what wineries produce them. I like the Italian types such as Barberra and Sangiovese as well as a Zinfandel. That usually narrows things down a lot and I can add a couple from places nearby. Not sure you'd want to tackle Seattle traffic after that so the recommendation of Lake Pleasant RV Park would be a great choice.

Doug
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woodinville is a Seattle suburb, on the NE end of Lake Washington. I believe most of wineries are along WA202, which runs from WA522 and WA520 in Redmond. It's a broad river valley that has preserved a just a bit of its original agricultural character. While pleasant enough, it's not rural or scenic (in the usual Washington sense).

I not that familiar with the wineries, but I believe they all use grapes grown elsewhere in the state. There are some vineyards on the west side of the Cascades (mostly further north), but most are on the drier east side (e.g. Yakima, Walla Walla). In other words, these are wineries, not vineyards.

The closest freeway is I405, the main NS freeway on the east side of Lake Washington. WA522 takes you around the north end of Lake Washington. WA520 floating bridge is a toll route across the lake. They are building a new bridge parallel to that. I90 also crosses the lake on a floating bridge.

WA 522 continues as semifreeway to Monroe, where it connects with US2 to cross the Cascades to Leavenworth, Cashmere and the orchards around Wenatchee.

If camping in an RV, Lake Pleasant RV Park if often recommended as a place in the Seattle area. Its on Bothell Everett Hwy north of Woodenville.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:
Check out this rv park http://www.winecountryrvpark.com/.There are a bunch of tasting rooms within walking distance plus many wineries have a shuttle service. You will find many whites and reds that compare well to anything grown in California. Personal fave is Mount Baker vineyard east of Bellingham but their grapes are grown in that area,

X2 on Wine Country RV in Prosser WA.

We like Airfield Winery. Their Unoaked Chardonnay is quite good. They also have a red table wine called Bombshell Red that is a good everyday wine. Several other wineries are within walking distance. Some have restaurants as well as tasting rooms. Further out is Desert Wind Winery. Nice restaurant.

And don't forget a stop at Chukar Cherries while you are in Prosser.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this rv park http://www.winecountryrvpark.com/.There are a bunch of tasting rooms within walking distance plus many wineries have a shuttle service. You will find many whites and reds that compare well to anything grown in California. Personal fave is Mount Baker vineyard east of Bellingham but their grapes are grown in that area,
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snoqualmie winery in Patterson,WA

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Most great red wines come out of Napa. There are some great white wines in OR, ID, WA. Growing red grapes in northern areas for wine presents a high acidity problem. They over come some of the problem but the outcome is not spectacular. Good red but not great. However, WA & OR are noted for some the best breweries of craft beer in the country.

Stormpeakco
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, isn't it all personal preference.
We lived in OR for over 15 years and (IMO) Yamhill Co for pinot noir, Yakima valley (WA) for the sauvignon blanc (if either of you is sensitive to wine-sulfides-tanins induced vasomotor headaches then Pac NW blancs may be the answer (spouse can't drink anything but Pac NW blancs and some South American whites for fear of headaches).

If you've never toured the area, I wouldn't pass up the Hood River Valley, Yamhill Co for the pinots and if driving through the gorge to the west coast I'd consider stopping @ (from east to west) @ Maryhill (art museum and wine on the Washington side), Hood River Valley-Timberline Lodge (on the OR side) and Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA (over the Bridge of the Gods). Have fun.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a website that will help with the WA regions. http://www.washingtonwine.org/

Y-Guy
When your ready for over 240 wineries check out Wine Country all you have to do is head east.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon