cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time driving mountains

QueenD
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking our first trip to mountains in motorhome. Looking on info taking Hwy 441 from Greensboro, GA to Cherokee, nc. Have a 1997 gas motorhome 36 foot. Are we going yo encounter any steep mountains?
30 REPLIES 30

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
When you get into 'mountains' and start seeing these, then you know you are really driving in 'mountains.'

We have these in Pennsylvania.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
We live in hilly country and see vehicles with 'Flatlander' plates, not just RVs either, going down steep hills, with the brakes on almost all the way down. I have seen discussions on other forums and message boards, in which people say that they'd rather wear out their brakes than their transmissions as they are cheaper!!!! It would appear from these discussions that many people believe that when they hear the term, 'lose the brakes' they think that means the pads or linings wear out! I have seen people write that as they have just replaced their pads or linings, they won't have to worry about that.
Braking materials have greatly improved over the years but somehow these people have to learn that if you brake all the way down the hill, they will overheat and won't work when you are half way down1
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
QueenD wrote:
Thanks for replies. Not quite as nervous but will definitely take it slow.
Yes just allow the RV to slow when appropriate and you will enjoy the trip far more than pushing hard to the top or playing downhill racer.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
A pretty good rule is to go down a hill a gear lower than it takes to get up the hill.

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Mountains is mountains, east or west. The big rule is: don't ride your brakes, shift to a lower gear when descending, and sometimes even when climbing, to keep on the torque band and avoid overheating.

If you are not sure how your transmission works and/or are simply used to stepping on the brake when descending, this might be a good time to seek some competent instruction. (Good news, it ain't hard - I drove manuals and automatics in the Andes for years. If I can do it, so can you.)
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

QueenD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies. Not quite as nervous but will definitely take it slow.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
When you get into 'mountains' and start seeing these, then you know you are really driving in 'mountains.'

There is a runaway ramp, available .........

Not like one pictured(not as steep), but one available in rare chance of brake failure.

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend from northern India who probably thinks the Rockies are foothills.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I have never seen a steep mountain or even a steep hill back east.

That is what I thought also when I kept seeing these posts. I searched the maps and sure enough they actually have a mountain back there. Doubt it is like we encounter on the continental divide or every day driving out here in the west. However, probably a understandable concern for RVers that have never driven on anything but flatlands.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
QueenD wrote:
We are taking our first trip to mountains in motorhome. Looking on info taking Hwy 441 from Greensboro, GA to Cherokee, nc. Have a 1997 gas motorhome 36 foot. Are we going yo encounter any steep mountains?

Up at the state line GA/NC just north of Clayton & Franklin NC, there is one Mtn Pass, the road is 4 Lane with a big emergency lane, Big Rig trucks use the route, it is very safe, meaning trucks go up and over like 45 mph, lots of room, safe.

It is medium steep, just take your time, also the descent/downside is similar, becareful keeping speed in check without, heating up brakes.

No sharp turns, nice wide road!

It is not bad, and is great, scenic, easy drive.

Great area, enjoy your trip!

Some Pics from our trip ~~ -->

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with your route however, there are steep mountains and roads in the eastern USA. Fortunately, most of them are relatively short.
Consider buying the Mountain Directory, or something similar, if you will be traveling often in the mountains.
Slow and careful will get you there, enjoy the ride.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Tell ya what, Old Guy. if your western mountains manage to survive a quarter-billion years of erosion without being erased, send us a reminder post card, and we'll send them a birthday card.

Laughing at anyone's safety concerns is a dam' fool's game.

Jim
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
steep is a relative thing of course. Some of the steepest roads I've traveled are in the East but the hills are of relatively short duration and are very low speed limits, making them much easier to negotiate. Driving 20 MPH is second gear is much easier than driving 50 or 60 on the same grade for four or five times as long in the west. What you will encounter MOSTLY is some very beautiful scenery. Relax and enjoy the trip / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It will be steep considering you are from Louisiana. It is all uphill from there!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado