Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flagstaff to Salina, Utah

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are planning our getaway from Apache Jct in a few days and I am looking for options to go basically north towards Salt Lake City. We will go to Sedona for sure but after that is a little up in the air yet. I have looked at maps and I am considering heading up to Flagstaff, then to Page. We would like to visit the Zion NP for a day or two. I am considering staying to the east of the I15 interstate until north of Salina, Utah.

Do any of you travel this way at this time of year and have any recommendations for us?

Thanks,
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options
6 REPLIES 6

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips guys.
Roy

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Follow TucsonJim's route for sure.

Have been to both Zion and Bryce a few times; Bryce more than Zion. The best part of Zion is the drive in on Hwy 9. Check tunnel restrictions. I have driven the Hwy 9 with the tow vehicle and have gone thru the tunnel with that. I did not want the hassle of the rv restrictions. If you are over 50 feet they will turn you around and not let you thru.

Years ago johnna told me about the 89A and 389/ 59 route out of Fredonia and I highly recommend that.

Zion you drive the canyon and look up - other than the drive in and out. Pretty but hard on the neck. Some hiking.

Bryce you are up high and look down and it is spectacular - and great hiking if you can / have time. We like Bryce far more that Zion. But it will be cooler.

We are full hookup people so recommend :

Kanab - RV Corral

Lake Powell - Wahweap Campground

Springdale (for Zion) - Zion Canyon (avoid Zion River or whatever in Virgin - very pretty but ethics issues, high priced and attitude)

Bryce - Ruby's Inn

Provo - Lakeside

Kaysville (north Salt Lake City) - Cherry Hill

Be safe.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I failed to mention in my previous post that there is a detour on HWY 89 before you get to Page due to a landslide that was experienced about a year ago. The detour is actually a better route than the original route, and might add 5-10 minutes to your drive.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I travel from Tucson to Salt Lake several times a year to see our son. Our preferred route is to take I-17 to I-40, then take exit 201 to HWY 89 North. You'll go through Page AZ, Kanab UT and several other small towns along the way. The scenery is beautiful. Follow HWY 89 until you get to UT-20. Turn left on UT-20 for approximately 20 miles and then head north to Salt Lake on I-15.

I've driven this route during Christmas for the last 12 years, and we've only encountered icy conditions once during that time. The chance of bad weather closing the route is getting more and more unlikely as we move farther into Spring. The road crews in Utah are quick to plow and salt if needed. However, if a late Winter storm hits, the best route is through Las Vegas.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading for Sedona today. Then the weather may dictate directions. We saw the Grand Canyon 2 years ago. What's at Bryce?
Roy

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Weather is always a factor in the mountains - just have to keep an eye on it.

Certainly you are also going to stop at Grand Canyon and Bryce?!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times