cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

from yellow stone to glacier

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
would anyone know if rte.89 is the best way to go from yellowstone to glacier . is it too mountainous . is there a secondary rte . that is scenic and more enjoyable to ride .

thank you ,,rickybobby
11 REPLIES 11

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Another suggestion. If you intend to drive the Going to the Sun Road, drive it from west to east. Its a two lane road carved out of the mountain and you want to be up against the mountain, not the edge. Its a long way down. Google "Going to the Sun Road" and look at the pictures.

Actually you are on the drop off edge side of the road going west to east (from McDonald lake to St. Mary Lake). Unless you also plan to drive all the way around the bottom of Glacier on route 2 to get back to the other side, you are going to drive the Going to the Sun road in both directions anyway.

Just in case you don't already know, large vehicles like RVs aren't allowed on the Going to the Sun road. When you drive it, you will understand why.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion. If you intend to drive the Going to the Sun Road, drive it from west to east. Its a two lane road carved out of the mountain and you want to be up against the mountain, not the edge. Its a long way down. Google "Going to the Sun Road" and look at the pictures.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Trust me on this - do not come to St. Mary on 89 from the south! Take the 464!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
See Winged One's comments about US89. We made the same mistake going to St. Mary's. Did not make it again leaving.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you are driving/pulling an RV I suggest staying off any road that states Scenic on the map. Some of them are 25 mph with switchbacks and tunnels. I like interstates. There is plenty of scenery at the destination.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I made the mistake of coming into St. Mary on 89 from the South. Do NOT do that.

Course it didn't help that I was pulling the swivel wheel and there were bicyclists on the switchbacks. What a nightmare.

464 is nice and easy.

As far as out of Yellowstone, 191 is a beautiful road, but busy and tricky for big rigs. 287 is much more flat and straight. Different type of beautiful, but would be much easier with a big rig. Rode both on the Goldwing while out there.

A cool/disturbing thing to see is on 287. Earthquake lake. You can still see where the mountain fell into the river. Earthquake lake
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
There is really only one "mountain" between Yellowstone and Glacier on US 89 (Little Belt Mt and Kings Hill grade)
In fact most of the road, after the Little Belts, is flat driving. Actually that's because from Great Falls on you follow I-15 for much of the drive.

As noted, traveling up the west side of the divide (I-90 to Missoula, then north) is much more scenic.

In order to get to roads that would not be "fun" (ie tough) you would have to drive up the back-roads. Even then they are not bad

Ya, I've probably drive most of every road going from one to the other.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, here is an earlier thread about route 89 from Yellowstone to the east side of Glacier.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfinnerty, any of these routes you wouldn't do again while towing? Anything we should watch out for?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we took US191 and MT85 north out of West Yellowstone to I90 west. Then took US287 north to I15 in Helena. Took I15 north to US2 in Shelby. From Browning it depends on which side of Glacier your going to. For the west side stay on US2. For the east side I recommend MT464 north out of Browning to US89. Then south on US89 to St. Mary's.

For the West side we've also stayed on I90 to US93 west of Missoula. Then US93 north to Kalispell and US2. Then east to the park.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I find the west side of the Continental Divide in Montana to be more scenic, but that may well be just me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, you would then have to double back on US2 to get to East Glacier.
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook