cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundy National Park Ideas

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to head into Canada this summer for a couple of weeks. We want to start at Fundy and head north. We want to see the Hopewell Pots, but don't have a lot of background on what else is up there. We are traveling with a 12 yr old daughter and a dog. Can anyone make suggestions on places to visit and campgrounds to stay in?

Also, if at Fundy what is the best place to camp to be able to walk to Alma?

Thanks!
Happy Trails...
12 REPLIES 12

NightTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
While in Fundy National park, and if you like a hike, I would suggest the hike to Laverty Falls. The falls when you get to the end are worth the medium/easy hike and you can even swim in them!
Lynn
Lynn, Bud, 2 teenaged boys
A Husky named Laska
2012 GMC Yukon
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z :B
Our Blog

NightTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
We stayed at the Ponderosa Pines while visiting the area. To get the full effect of the tide at Hopewell Rocks you will have to stay for a complete low and high tide. Make sure to get the tide schedule for your time there. At low tide you can walk the beach. At high tide, go kayaking and see it different.

X2
Lynn, Bud, 2 teenaged boys
A Husky named Laska
2012 GMC Yukon
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z :B
Our Blog

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to PEI you MUST go to Summerside to the College of Piping and go to a ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee) or any of their other performances. Absolutely fantastic!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, from centre of PEI, it's two hours to north east edge and 2 hours back on Rte 2. Like wise going to the north west edge.

Having a truck camper I move me completely, I liked the campground near Mill River in the West and Brudenell in the east best.

What do you like to do?

Farmer's Markets, especially the Charlottetown one are great places.

New Glasgow Lobster Suppers is rated THE place for that menu.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your suggestions! We will look into them as they sound interesting. Please keep the suggestions coming as we are now thinking of extending our time and going up to PEI. Thanks!
Happy Trails...

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Headquarters CG is not a few miles from Alma-it's just a walk down the hill. SEEMS like a good distance heading back, though! There's a nice saltwater pool near HQ as well. Watching the tidal bore at one of the lookout points in Moncton or along the way is fun-I've never seen in come in very big but it's still very interesting. There's Magnetic Hill where your car goes "backwards" up the hill, which now has a whole shopping complex, zoo and amusement park. The park itself offers some excelling hiking (all levels), beachcombing, boating, fishing, golfing and wildlife viewing.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Campgrounds to RVing in Canada for more input.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We were up there this summer with 3 of our grandkids. We stayed at the Headquarters campground which is just uphill a bit from Alma. You can walk it. We saw the Pots, did a lot of hiking and had some good meals in Alma. We also went up to Magnetic Hill (not worth it)_ and saw the Lighthouse. We stopped in St Andrews and stayed at the Kiwanis CG there, which is right on the ocean. The Marine Science Center there is awesome.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Fundy years ago.I was pretty sure we stayed in the park but that was in a tent.But that was over 40 years ago.The ranger led walk on the tidal flats was pretty neat.I believe it has one of the highest tide changes in the world.We also went to Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.I remember crossing the border from Maine into New Brunswick there was a truck selling lobsters frozen in ice for $2.50 each!We bought 2 and made them that night.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There is a camping area just outside Alma, it's uphill from Alma.
I don't remember the name of the area. Contact the Park, they can give you the info.
It's a nice place. We took our 37' Southwind and had FHU.
We were there several years ago, in July, it rained a lot. I was talking to another camper who had been there for about two weeks. He said it rained every day.

Alma is a nice village. You can tour it on Google Street View.

Enjoy your trip.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Not inside the National Park, but the Fundy Trail Parkway is a lovely drive originating in and returning to St. Martins for great views and exhibits.

Inside the park, the Headquarters Campground is closest to Alma, but it's a few miles. (Not a convenient walk for a quart of milk.) There is a beautiful covered bridge, numerous hiking trails. Kayaking. IIRC, there is a swimming pool inside the NP, though we did not use it.

Close by is the Cape Enrage Lighthouse, which is scenic and also has a zip line, if your daughter could handle that.

You'll find that it's easy to schedule your visit to Hopewell Rocks to see the "flower pots" because there are numerous brochures with the summer tide tables in print. Online, too. I found the Rocks to be a fun attraction, and it's a well-run operation. It's a pleasant walk to reach them, and a staircase down to the sea floor...on the way back, if you are tired, you can board a tram at the top of the staircase for a ride back to the visitor center for a modest fee.

If I were visiting te area again, I'd stay in the park, but move to Ponderosa as mentioned above for a night or two, to see the Rocks.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Ponderosa Pines while visiting the area. To get the full effect of the tide at Hopewell Rocks you will have to stay for a complete low and high tide. Make sure to get the tide schedule for your time there. At low tide you can walk the beach. At high tide, go kayaking and see it different.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog