cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 299 Redding to Eureka

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone taken this road in a 40’ RV and towing a car ??
12 REPLIES 12

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We did this route once from the California/Nevada border to the Pacific Ocean. Even in our smaller setup, it was challenging. A few boulders on the road we had to dodge and it seemed there were a few construction zones. Beautiful views, though.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
299 or 199 ???? depends a lot on where your coming from and where your trying to get to and if you have lots of time or are in a hurry. To condemn hwy 299 as a bad road and unsafe for RV travel is just plain foolish likewise to claim that 199 is a super highway is also foolish.

299 from Redding to Arcata, 299 does not go to Eureka, is a very good 2 lane paved highway with many pullouts and passing lanes. There are however 4 mountain summits to pull up, over, and down but the highest one is only about 4800 feet and 6% is the worst grade.

The only steep down grade (6%) is the west side of Oregon Mountain west of Weaverville just take it slow and there is no reason for worry, Semi trucks travel this route daily.

Lots of scenery and interesting sites to see and visit along the way. Old Shasta State park, historic mining city just west of Redding. The Joss house park in Weaverville, a tribute to the chinese culture and miners in early California.

Don't miss lunch at the Straw House in Big Flat, sit on the patio overlooking the river.

199 from Grants pass only takes you over one summit at Hays Hill and you wind along the Smith River canyon then wonder through the Redwood Park before coming to highway 101. Just as windy and slow as some stretches of 299.

Have driven and pulled my TT over both routes many times, 299 would be my first choice based on my statement in the first paragraph.

Born and raised in these mountains I can remember when 299 was a gravel road and it took most of a day to travel from Willow Creek to Arcata, so I just sort of chuckle to myself when I see people complain about the terrible roads that we have now.

Either route you choose you will have some beautiful scenery so take your time and enjoy it.

Tinbender

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Been on 299 with 40ft and crewcab pickup and also again with 24ft trlr. No issues.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We did 199 on May 1 last year, from Eureka to Grants Pass. Many twisty sections or road with no shoulders, or tiny shoulders in the CA section. The tunnel is fine for any RV or truck.

Our TT and truck are 62 feet long, and we had no problem.

At that time 299 had three major delays to repair slides. We took CA 36 to get from I-5 to US 101 because US-101 was closed by a slide near Garberville.

There were also several one way, twisty no shoulder sections of US-101 between Eureka and Smith River for slide repairs. I see on the CalTrans website today that there are still three one way sections under repair near Crescent City and one more north of Trinidad. Those are 24/7 delays.

199 shows no road work, 299 shows one section near French Creek with one way traffic between 8 am and 6 pm Mon-Sat
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
I think I’m going to pass on 299 and use 199 from Grants Pass

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed a trailer on this road several times -- did not seem like a white knuckle situation. Just downshift on the downhills, and use the pullouts to let the cars pass.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that they are often doing construction and maintenance -- there may be delays, especially in summer.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good road with spectacular views but as others said don't be in a hurry.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Have made the trip several times in a 41.5 motorhome towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
Steep in spots and lots of curves just don't expect to make any kind of time. You will do fine.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefelectusn wrote:
Anyone taken this road in a 40’ RV and towing a car ??

Have done this route with a 35' fifth wheel and requires total focus the whole trip, no time to sight see. Lots of up and downs and curves!!! At times it can be a white knuckle experience if you don't keep your speed at a safe and posted level!!! Not my first choice. Alternative routes are 1. hwy. 42 south of Coos Bay east to I-5. 2. Hwy. 20 over Clear Lake which is south of Hwy 199, a little longer but very RV friendly.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
299 posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues in my 43 foot total length (TV & TT) and nice views as Sailor said.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but I towed our 51-foot rig over it last August and it was no problem. It's a good road although there are lots of curves and it seemed like we were always climbing or descending the whole way. Great views!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax