cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how to avoid the grapevine

kimmccafferty
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to get from Paso robles, ca down to Blythe ca without using the grapevine. I am looking for the next fastest route. Does anyone have any guidance to offer me? thanks kim
20 REPLIES 20

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 south to Buttonwillow interchange. Large truck stop there.

East to Bakersfield.

Make a right onramp onto Highway 99 freeway.

Exit 99 toward TECHACHAPI and MOJAVE.

Keep driving east to Barstool, oops I means Barstow.

Transition to I-15 north toward Las Vegas a short dogleg.

Then east on I-70

Exit south onto US 95

Misses Losengens 100%. Avoids Scrapevine.

Sounds complicated but it isn't. Check a map.

Extremely little urban highway except around Bakersfield.

You couldn't pay me to deviate from this route. I love relaxed driving.

Hope this helps.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
46 all the way across to the 99.
South 99 to the 58 east bound for Tehachapi.
58 to the I 40 east.
Take the CA 95 south from Needles to Blythe.

kimmccafferty wrote:
I am trying to get from Paso robles, ca down to Blythe ca without using the grapevine. I am looking for the next fastest route. Does anyone have any guidance to offer me? thanks kim
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

grant135b
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA 46 over to Bakersfield
CA 99 (S) to CA 58
CA 395 (S) to I-15 (S)
I-15(S) to I-215(S)
I-215 (S) to I-10 (E)

roughly 450 miles

I'm not sure if the OP is trying to avoid traffic or grades, but if it's traffic, it really depends on the day of the week and time of day (or night). Depending on the day and time your go through the Grapevine, traffic isn't necessarily an issue, and absent the traffic wildcard, the Grapevine to 210 to 10 can be the quickest, most direct route. Of course, on the other hand if you hit it at the wrong time it can be a mess. As for grade, the GV doesn't seem much different than the Cajon.

I used to make the drive between the IE and Merced every weekend one autumn when I was living in Riverside and going to school up north. To break up the monotony I used a similar route to the one quoted above going northbound on Sunday nights, and the Grapevine southbound to I-210 to I-10 westbound to the IE on Friday nights. Both routes put me in the opposite direction of the main flow of weekenders who were going out of LA on Friday nights and back into LA on Sunday nights.

My northbound variation was I-15 to 138 to 14 to 58 to 99 in Bakersfield, although 395 and 58 in lieu of 138 and 14 would certainly work, too.

I really enjoyed that drive on 138 on Sunday nights, skirting along the mountains in the high desert with the lights of the desert towns twinkling in the distance on my right, the sky-glow of the LA basin outlining the mountains on my left, almost no other cars on the road, and nothing to keep me company but a voice on the radio (KFI, the 50,000 watt talk radio blowtorch out of LA).
Fleetwood Pace Arrow, USAF/SAC Vet (KC-135A, B-52D)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's funny, Scott! So I can't do the Grape any longer with my Tahoe? Lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA 99 (S) to CA 58
CA 395 (S) to I-15 (S)
I-15(S) to I-215(S)
I-215 (S) to I-10 (E)

roughly 450 miles

X1, I take this route except I turn off of 395 at Victorville on 18 to 247 to 62 to I-10 then east to Blythe. This route eliminates having to deal with traffic on I-15, through San Bernardino then on to I-10. This route drops you just west of Palm Springs on I-10. Traffic on any route around the L.A. area is a real cluster of traffic and crazy drivers and generally some road construction.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
you could take 58-40-95 through Havasu but that would add about 100 miles to the trip and would be hotter. See no problem with the grapevine but I would take 101-126-210-10
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA 99 (S) to CA 58
CA 395 (S) to I-15 (S)
I-15(S) to I-215(S)
I-215 (S) to I-10 (E)

roughly 450 miles
X2.. this is the best and most direct route. Why would those even questioning the OPs not wanting to go over the GV anyway? There's absolutely no reason to, nor is it anywhere near as fast
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed all types of RVs over the Grape Vine in the past 55 years never had problems towing even the 40 ft 5th w that I towed one winter. Had problems with snow and winds at times. Will be going that way in Oct, Dec, and April going to Yuma. Only one time with a diesel . Last 18 years with the V10 eng
samsontdog:o:W

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA 99 (S) to CA 58
CA 395 (S) to I-15 (S)
I-15(S) to I-215(S)
I-215 (S) to I-10 (E)

roughly 450 miles

X1, I take this route except I turn off of 395 at Victorville on 18 to 247 to 62 to I-10 then east to Blythe. This route eliminates having to deal with traffic on I-15, through San Bernardino then on to I-10. This route drops you just north of Palm Springs on I-10. Traffic on any route around the L.A. area is a real cluster of traffic and crazy drivers and generally some road construction.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you are trying to avoid traffic or elevation. If it's elevation check your route here first. I thought about avoiding the Grapevine from Fresno to Hemet last week and was suprised to find that my alternate route was actually higher in elevation and had greater inclines and decline Percentages.
Flattest route
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA 99 (S) to CA 58
CA 395 (S) to I-15 (S)
I-15(S) to I-215(S)
I-215 (S) to I-10 (E)

roughly 450 miles

If you want to avoid LA freeway traffic altogether, stay on 58 to the west side of Barstow where you pick up 15 North for about 2 miles. Then take 247 south to Yucca Valley, then 62 to I-10 east.

We take this route every year when we are snowbirds in Palm Desert, and love it because it completely avoids the crazy traffic thru the LA suburbs. 247 is a two lane, well-maintained road that takes you out thru the desert and some nice scenery.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My gasser goes over GV just fine. Any re-route would seem like a PITN to me.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
What's the need to avoid the Grapevine?

He doesn't have a Cummins. :B

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
We go south on US-101, then head east on CA-126 (east of Ventura) to I-5. South on I-5 to I-210 (just a few miles) then I-210 to CA-57, south on 57 to I-10 and east as far as you want. Lots of traffic on I-210 and I-10 and what seems like perpetual construction, so pick your times of day.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.