cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get through/around NYC

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We will be travelling from SE Mass to Washington DC in early August. What is the best route to travel through/around NYC with a TT? (In case it matters, we will be passing through around 10am on Monday morning, then late Saturday afternoon on the return trip.)
8 REPLIES 8

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
yrusoslo wrote:
Unless you want to drive way out of your way, there isn't a good way around NYC or any part of the area.

This is not true. There are plenty of ways around NYC coming from New England.

If you are taking I95 south, I would pickup I287 just south of Greenwich CT, taking I287 over the Tappan Zee. Continue on I287 into New Jersey. Take I287 south to NJ Turnpike I95 and then south to Washington DC.

Mileage wise this detour off I95 may be a few more miles, but believe me it will be less stressful and more relaxing than taking I95 south through the Bronx and over the George Washington Bridge.

I'm someone who goes around NYC almost every weekend to go camping upstate NY. I've taken my TT through the Bronx and over the GWB many times. It is not pleasurable experience.

I'll remeber that for next time, I95 and the GWB were the second worst portion of our trip last year. Silly me I didn't sit down with the map before we set out that morning. I had the GPS set for shortest route and I took me into the eye of the hurricane.

The worst part of the trip was when I broke my cardinal rule, "stay away from big cities during rush hour". We got delayed by construction and found myself on I94 in the friday afternoon rush in Chicago, happened to be the last Bears pre season game too. Complete chaos, I'm still amazed we go out alive.

DUO_CORE
Explorer
Explorer
I travel from Southern NJ to Maine each year. On the way back I take I-84 east to Newburgh, NY and pick up I87 south. From there I go until 287 south in Jersey and it takes me to the NJTP. I've tried the Tappanzee and the roads were awful on that route.
2006 Silverado Duramax/Allison CC DRW 4x4 175,000 mi.
EFI Live
DSP5
TransGo Jr.
B-100 made in a Bio-Pro 190
2006 Day Dreamer 5th Wheel

Explorer
Explorer
You have picked two bad times to drive through (or around NYC) - you will encounter Monday rush hour still at 10 am and the Saturday night in the City traffic late Saturday afternoon. Take any of the recommended routes already suggested.

In NJ you still may encounter traffic around Great Adventure amusement park on both of those days on either the NJ Tpk or the Garden State.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
esyers wrote:
The Garden State Parkway between 287 and the NJ Turnpike will save you a few miles, but there are tolls.

RV's are ok on the GSP.

If you take the GSP make sure you stay in the middle lanes. Some bridges are low in the right hand lane and you risk tearing your A/C unit off the roof. I've done both GSP & 287 in the last two weeks with my TT. There is also lot more traffic on the GSP vs. 287.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
The Garden State Parkway between 287 and the NJ Turnpike will save you a few miles, but there are tolls.

RV's are ok on the GSP.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Take Gcloss' advice. The extra miles are well worth the lack of stress. We go an even more roundabout way but we are usually heading to College Park, MD for a stopover on the way further south.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
Unless you want to drive way out of your way, there isn't a good way around NYC or any part of the area.

This is not true. There are plenty of ways around NYC coming from New England.

If you are taking I95 south, I would pickup I287 just south of Greenwich CT, taking I287 over the Tappan Zee. Continue on I287 into New Jersey. Take I287 south to NJ Turnpike I95 and then south to Washington DC.

Mileage wise this detour off I95 may be a few more miles, but believe me it will be less stressful and more relaxing than taking I95 south through the Bronx and over the George Washington Bridge.

I'm someone who goes around NYC almost every weekend to go camping upstate NY. I've taken my TT through the Bronx and over the GWB many times. It is not pleasurable experience.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer