cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got to ask...

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have read post on here about RV in Mexico and a little about Central America. Have spent some time in Mex and several CA countries, just not in an RV. Met a guy in Costa Rica once who had towed his TT from Wyoming I think and was living in it while his house was built. Wish I was a little closer to access to Mexico ( live in NC ).

Now the question: This forum group is Mex / South America. Are there folks who actually ship a RV to SA and tour? Seems awfully expensive as you sure can't drive there.
10 REPLIES 10

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV will fit in a shipping container you can ship it to most any port city in the world.

Ocean Container Dimensions

Spent a very happy hour with a Swiss couple who had shipped their small motor home from Antwerp, Belgium to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Then spent 11 months traveling South America before heading north. We met in Mexico.
As I remember they shipped RORO. But the problem with RORO is the RV must be empty.
Not so in a container.
But almost any size RV can go RORO.
RORO means Roll On Roll Off.

This book explains RV shipping to Europe.
Yet after buying and reading the book we decided to rent an RV in Europe for our trip.

Take your RV to Europe
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
crandle wrote:
These folks have done South America in a VW Van: http://www.drivenachodrive.com/category/blog/southamerica/

And this couple in a truck and camper: http://www.dutchduowildlife.nl/travel%20journal%20south%20america.htm

Funny, I actually met the "dutch duo wildlife" couple up in Alaska this summer! 🙂
I believe they shipped their truck and camper from the US to south America; they didn't drive through Central America.

coloradotallman
Explorer
Explorer
Just hosted two great young kids from kiwi-panamericana.com at our home in Colorado and then our daughter in Las Vegas did the same. Also, check out seventeenbysix.wordpress.com. Good site with an extensive list of blogs to read.

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
We met a couple in Puerto Vallarta winter before last with a Troller jeep (made in Brazil) and they had been around SA before coming north. I think they are still on the road. Lots of photos on their website. Infinita Highway
RYV

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of people travelling around S America - including us.
Several ways to get wheels. Buy a vehicle already down here - technically illegal but heaps of us do it without any problems provided all the paperwork is in order. Those who try to short-cut the system often wish they hadn't.

Shipping your own vehicle across the Darian Gap is also very common with those wanting to explore the northern countries and drive all the way down.

Other popular shipping routes get you to either Montevideo or Buenos Aries
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

crandle
Explorer
Explorer
These folks have done South America in a VW Van: http://www.drivenachodrive.com/category/blog/southamerica/

And this couple in a truck and camper: http://www.dutchduowildlife.nl/travel%20journal%20south%20america.htm

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
qtla9111 wrote:
Wish we had a class b to do a trip around South America. It's on the wish list but looks like it won't happen soon. Imagine sitting on the beach in Patagonia? I traveled in SA and Chile has wonderful highways too. Some day!

If you're sitting on the beach in Patagonia it will probably be with the penguins. 🙂
Bundle up!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Wish we had a class b to do a trip around South America. It's on the wish list but looks like it won't happen soon. Imagine sitting on the beach in Patagonia? I traveled in SA and Chile has wonderful highways too. Some day!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you can't drive down between Panamericana Highway and I62 on any major roadway to get on down inside South America... You can make it just south of the Panama Canal from the US border routes I reckon...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gringodog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are some intrepid RVers who ship from Panama to Colombia. We have met several Germans RVers in Mexico who have done that. And yes, it's quite expensive. I've also heard, but have not confirmed, that one can ship an RV from Miami to Rio - for less cost. Cheers, Jane