cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I10 111.2 MM

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
West of Phoenix on I10 there are several miles of MMs like 111.2, 111.4, etc. What is that all about?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
10 REPLIES 10

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Having the markers at .2 mile marks helps emergency services find you, particularly if they are comming from the opposite direction. They know where they have to cross the median to get to you. Police, Fire, Rescue and tow truck drivers know the markers in their service areas even if AAA doesn't even know which country you are in.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is a speedometer test section, such as these listed for Washington
http://www.rainierautosports.com/reference/odocheck.htm

But I couldn't find any such notification signs along this stretch of I10 (via GM Streetview).

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
These MM appear over about a 2 mile distance MM 111 and 112 and are on both sides of I10. There is no apparent reason for their existence that I've noticed. No culverts, bridges, etc and trust me this is not a populated area.

I don't recall this type of sign along interstates. There are exit signs like 1 1/2 miles and there are county signs like 45.21 etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Mile markers every .2 miles are very common on interstates. Mostly around more populated areas. When you get away from the populated areas they go back to one every mile. In an emergency/accident you don't have to go very far to find a mile marker when calling 911.

Can't believe you've never seen them before.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Normally, this would indicate something like a culvert or bridge under the highway.

IIRC this is the correct answer - at least in AZ. Highway workers use then as reference points for needed work- and (heaven forbid) snow plows!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Normally, this would indicate something like a culvert or bridge under the highway.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that they are mainly so if you call for help for some reason, AAA or whatever. You can tell them where you are. The main problem with that is that when you call the motor clubs and tell them you are west bound on I-10 at mile marker 123.4 they don't seem to have the slightest idea where that is. They always insist on the nearest town even tho you don't have any idea where the nearest town is.

Maybe the emergency service people can use the MM.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
they used to have those for marking a mile to check odometer accuracy, etc. I hope they didn't mark the entire length of the IS in tenths of a mile. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Tax dollars at work, or.....in case you want to get out and run!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
What is that all about?
It's about tenths of a mile...;)
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien