cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I10 vs I40 Coast-to-Coast

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Never done a C2C trip before. Later this month I'm bringing my daughter's TT home from Encinitas CA (San Diego) to Fairburn GA (Atlanta).

Anyone have a preference of I10 or I40? Why?

We've reserved one day for sight seeing. Any interesting sites to see along the way? Been to the Grand Canyon, so that's out. Carlsbad Caverns was suggested.

Let us know your thoughts?

Thanks,
- bob
25 REPLIES 25

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven coast to coast about 300 times .. I would take I 8 to I 10. to I 20 into Atlanta. Why go so far north only to have to go south again to get to Atlanta. I 40 has a lot more hills to pull while I 8 I 10 I 20 has one pull on I 8 then it is flat and fast to Atlanta.

dedmiston
I would pick I-40 over I-10 any day. It's much more scenic in my opinion.

The last time I drove home from Houston to So Cal, we went out of our way to climb north to get to I-40, just because I couldn't bear the boredom of driving I-10 again.

When I was a kid we would take big trips every summer (L.A. to Nova Scocia, L.A. to Key West, etc.). Dad would always start the first day of the trip at 3:00 am to get as far as he could through I-10 in the dark because is was the most boring part of the trip and because he didn't want to drive our truck in the heat of the day. He would turn us north once we got someplace interesting, and then the vacation would begin.

Have a great trip. Sorry you don't have more time to chew the scenery.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
On I 40 you could stop in Memphis and visit Elvis home, Sun studios, listen to some blues, eat some BBQ etc. A campground is directly across the street from Graceland and shuttles take you to/from Bourbon Street and the campground.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
ependydad wrote:
You can overnight at Sonoma Caverns in Texas and take in the Caverns without really messing up travel plans. They have RV spots with water + electric. Thatโ€™s on I-10 and our family enjoyed it.

If you mean the Caverns of Sonora I second the stop. Not much of a campground, but the best cavern I've been to. Some photos from my 2012 visit: Caverns of Sonora

Thanks for the correction. You're absolutely right- Caverns of Sonora.

And more pictures:
Sonora, TX
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies (and keep them coming!). Yes, more interested in point A->B but if the DW were along would be more sightseeing.

Good to note on I-10. I'd heard bad things about the road quality.

What's to see along I-40 (other than Grand Canyon)?

Best,
- bob

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to do I-10, the route North to Carlsbad (285) out of Pecos, TX. is not pretty. Ate one of the tires on my toad in quick order. Stopped at the Carlsbad Walmart to see about a replacement (didn't have my size) and the counter guy said I was lucky. Most people are towed in with 2 tires cut on the same side.

Having come I-10 out of Florida 2 months ago I think I'd choose 40. 1100 miles or so of Texas on I-10... Yea, been there done that.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
You can overnight at Sonoma Caverns in Texas and take in the Caverns without really messing up travel plans. They have RV spots with water + electric. Thatโ€™s on I-10 and our family enjoyed it.

If you mean the Caverns of Sonora I second the stop. Not much of a campground, but the best cavern I've been to. Some photos from my 2012 visit: Caverns of Sonora

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Only ONE DAY for siteseeing from California to Georgia? Can't you allow more time?

X2. I was going to recommend staying off the Interstate System and travel the side roads if you want to see America.
Unfortunately the OP probably has time constraints that will make this trip less enjoyable.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Weather wise you will likely be better off on I-40. I-10 is hot and windy from LA to the I-20 split in TX. I-40 gets up to cooler nicer weather after Kingman, AZ. Sight seeing depends on what you like to see. I would go I-40. I guess you are really talking about I-20 after you reach TX and not continuing on I-10 to San Antonio or Houston.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Only ONE DAY for siteseeing from California to Georgia? Can't you allow more time?

Mileage-wise it probably makes more sense to do I-10 to Georgia. Benson, AZ: Kartchner Caverns State Park. The tour is awesome and the campground very nice and it's only about 10 miles south of I-10.

Or make a stop anywhere in Hill Country of Texas. Fredricksburg, TX is a small German town and nearby is LBJ's ranch for a tour.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel