cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I95 in CT - I need input from those familiar

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I will be departing Providence, RI at 7:30am on Monday, headed towards Washington DC. As I see it, I have two choices:

1) I95 (which would have me entering New Haven, and the southwest corridor of CT, around 9:15-9:30)

2) A circuitous route of state and county highways over to Hartford, then I84 west to I684.

I would prefer I95, simply because it is more direct and less navigation, but I'm concerned about traffic. Figuring New Haven around 9:15-9:30 and Bridgeport closer to 10am, will the worst of the traffic be cleared, or am I better taking the state/county highway route?
8 REPLIES 8

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
To avoid the New haven area, there is big road work replacing bridges. No time is a good time. How about rt95S to rt9N you get on rt9 in Old Saybrook. Take it all the way to rt84 West, Highway all the way. Sometimes a slow down in Middletown ct. during rush hr.

I'd use this rt 9 as Vet Man said..nice road...on rt 9 when you get to I-91 take 91 south to I-691 over to I-84..roads marked a little better and quicker
then I would stay on 84 into Newburgh,NY..no backup on the Newburgh,NY take I-87 south to Sufferin,NY and take I-287 to I-78...about 45 miles ..stay on 78 to 81 and then in Harrisburg,Pa..pickup I-83 right to the DC area
Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Going along with what Vet Man said, the bridge construction is right after exit 49. You have to pay carefull attention to the lane markings around exit 48 or you could end up in a lane going to rt91 or rt34. As I recall only the left 2 lanes continue South on 95.

I go there every few months to visit my audiologist and am generally in that area about 10:30am going to rt34. Sometimes it gets a little crazy but mostly it is moving.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid the New haven area, there is big road work replacing bridges. No time is a good time. How about rt95S to rt9N you get on rt9 in Old Saybrook. Take it all the way to rt84 West, Highway all the way. Sometimes a slow down in Middletown ct. during rush hr.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I hate driving 95. As others have said, you will hit traffic. I rather do night travel if I was going this way.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I live in north east CT and I take 91 95 and the Tappan Zee from time to time. Stop and go traffic should be gone by then and slow traffic will still get you there faster then going around just to get Hartford traffic

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the late 90's our son was attending UCONN in Storrs and my parents lived on Cape Cod. On several occasions, we used route 6 out of Providence to drop him off at Storrs and then picked up I84 near Hartford to I684 over the Tappan Zee.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you are already an citizen of the Megopolis, you might survive that. If you are not comfortable driving in kamakazi NYC traffic (On offense to real Kamakazi intended). The take I84 up to the Tappen Zee. I have been through there for many years, but I did live there for a while.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone on I95 thru CT at varying times of the day , you will hit traffic no matter what time you go during the day. And it comes up quick... (65mph one minute and then turn a corner and BANG... 10 mph! Panic.stop time) I just deal with it... I just refuse to go thru NY!
Proud father of a US Marine