cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I96 or US131 to Muskegon, Mi

pmfinnegan2
Explorer
Explorer
At some point we will be going to Muskegon, MI. From where we will be, both routes are equal distance. I know I96 has a stretch of about 15 miles near Grand Rapids where the road has a lot of dips causing a lot of bouncing when pulling the TT, but the rest of the route is fine.

What is your experience with either route while pulling your rig?
pmfinnegan2
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
5.3L Vortec V8, 4X4
2018 Jayco JayFlight 29BHDB
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller
9 REPLIES 9

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan construction
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to assume that you plan to pick up US131 where it intersects with I-94. We've traveled that stretch a number of times in the last five years, towing a 36' fifth wheel. IMHO it's a good road and we had no problems, with the obvious caveat that I'd avoid going through Grand Rapids at rush hour if at all possible. They've done some reconstruction over the last few years and the road bed is in pretty good shape.

I'd take US131 through GR and pick up I-96 into Muskegon. Just out of curiosity, where are you going in Muskegon? It's my hometown although we live in Florida now. We stay at the Trailways CG in Montague.
MaryAnne

pmfinnegan2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I know US131 does not go to Muskegon, but from where we are coming from (SE Michigan) we could take it to get to Muskegon. So how is 131 to travel with a rig?
pmfinnegan2
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
5.3L Vortec V8, 4X4
2018 Jayco JayFlight 29BHDB
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
Oops--replied to the wrong post.
MaryAnne

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
Please forgive my typo--we're talking about US-31 (which does go to Muskegon), not US-131 which goes through Grand Rapids. As a native of the area I know this very well--just messed up with my typing. My questions relate to US-31US-31
MaryAnne

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'd argue some of I96's best miles are the stretch between Grand Rapids and Muskegon. There's some bridge work going on but it's never been a delay when I've traveled through there.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Muskegon... How can we help if we don't know from where?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell us where you are coming from. Mfan beat me to typing that US 131 does not go to Muskegon.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Us 131 does not go to muskegon.