cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Iconic USA Drives....List Your Favorite

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I want to seek out the most iconic USA drives. List your favorite (that would be one) and why. Tell us what you most brought away from that drive. I'll look forward to the replies! THANKS.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
57 REPLIES 57

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
As they say in Congress, "We've got a federal program for that!"

But neither of those links tells an RVer whether he can, or should, take his motorcoach or 5th wheel trailer over that route.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
As they say in Congress, "We've got a federal program for that!":B

There are 150 National Scenic Byways that are designated by the Secretary of Transportation. Many of the one's folks have already listed are National Scenic Byways.

Here's a map of all of them, and you can click on any one to get more information.
National Scenic Byway Map

And here's another one that also has lists of National Forest Scenic Byways, BLM Back Country Byways, Parkways, and other Scenic Roads. Click on the USA map and it will bring up a map of the specific byway. Click on the state listing below the map, and it will bring up a map of all the byways in that state.
Even better map

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
the route that goes from Zion to Bryce, through Capitol Reef, through ARches, through Canyonlands, through Monument Valley, to Hovensweep, to Grand Canyon south rim. Beautiful state!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado 149 from Blue Mesa Reservoir to South Fork passes through two interesting late 19th century mining towns--Lake City and Creede. Creede was made famous in a poem by newspaper editor Cy Warman:

The cliffs are solid silver
With wondrous wealth untold,
And the beds of running rivers
Are lined with purest gold.
While the world is filled with sorrow,
And hearts must break and bleed,
It's day all day in the day-time
And there is no night in Creede.

CO 149 also passes by beautiful Lake San Cristobal and its natural dam--the Slumgullion Mudslide, which is so large that it was photographed by the Gemini astronauts. This paved highway can be traversed by any size RV, but is really at its best in the latter part of September when the aspen are turning yellow, gold, and orange.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I completely forgot to mention my all summer drive from Cincinnati, OH to Fairbanks, AK and return in my 'C', pulling a Jeep toad. Crossed into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. Drove thru Alberta and British Colombia into Alaska, spent some time fishing for salmon with a buddy that has a cabin in Cooper Landing, AK. on the Kenai Peninsula, then headed north to Denali NP and Fairbanks, crossing the border again at Sweetgrass on the way home. I actually got a picture of Denali (Mt. McKinley) when the peak wasn't shrouded in fog. The trip of a lifetime for me.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in the Sedona Arizona area do Verde Canyon Railroad. Although not a highway trip it is a beautiful trip up a river canyon by train.

But the country you travel through by car to get there is also spectacular and full of history about mining in the old west.

Another favorite is the drive from Durango Colorado to Silverton Colorado and then do the trip by the Durango Silverton narrow gauge railroad. That is a trip well worth the time.

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
I love NC Route 12 on the Outer Banks. All the way from the sand at the Virginia border to Ocracoke.
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
bmanning wrote:
89A from Sedona to Flagstaff in Arizona.

I've made that drive maybe a dozen times over the years & it takes my breath away every single time.

Maybe not iconic but personal favorites:

Back East, US Route 7 running through Vermont will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable mentions: 200 on the way to Heron MT, the roads in & around Mammoth Lakes CA, the Morristown/Chester/Mendham areas in NJ, the drive from Oxford OH to Liberty/Brookville Lake IN
Yes! 89A is a nice drive. I remember when that was the only way from Phoenix to Flagstaff:E
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rt 12 on the Escalante.

Any of the tracks above Silverton and Animas Forks.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
89A from Sedona to Flagstaff in Arizona.

I've made that drive maybe a dozen times over the years & it takes my breath away every single time.

Maybe not iconic but personal favorites:

Back East, US Route 7 running through Vermont will always hold a special place in my heart.

Honorable mentions: 200 on the way to Heron MT, the roads in & around Mammoth Lakes CA, the Morristown/Chester/Mendham areas in NJ, the drive from Oxford OH to Liberty/Brookville Lake IN
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have done the Moki three times for some great pix. NOT with the 5er!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great suggestions here. While my wife and I full-timed, we drove almost all of these roads.

Here's one I haven't seen posted yet: Utah 261 north of Mexican Hat, up the "Moki Dugway" to where it intersects with Utah 95. Just the serpentine climb up a shear cliff (the "Moki Dugway") makes this a "not to miss" drive.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Going to the Sun highway in a 20' truck camper. There's some excitement there.
The Lolo byway: a route Louis and Clark took in 1804-06. You do have to pick your season, however:

Seven jeep trails over high passes in the San Juans in a hardside truck camper. They will get your attention. This is going up to Imogene Pass, over 13K feet:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Burr Trail Road all the way to the bottom of the switchbacks. Only in a TC . Too tight for anything longer. BTR is off the famed Highway 12 in Utah's Red Rock Country.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog