cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Johnathan Dickinson to the keys Best route

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
First time we will be heading for the keys, and wondering which roads are the best way to go.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
19 REPLIES 19

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
If your concerned about tolls, you could take 95 down to 826 (Palmetto xpway). The last time I took 836 towards keys, about 6 months ago, I had to stop at airport (not towing). 836 was backed up all the way out to 826 due to construction and not at rush hours either. Palm Bch and Broward counties are much better than they used to be on 95, due to the added lanes. Miami, not so much.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest & fastest is the Turnpike IF you can afford it. If U'r Towing they charge 'Per Axle'not per car, which would be cheaper. They also have done away with most of the Toll booths thru the city area. You get charged by a camera picture plus a 'Service' charge when they mail you the bill.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is why it's worth it. There are folks in South Florida that can not afford to pay tolls much less drive a newer safer vehicle.

You will see few if any old utility trailers or pick ups loaded with scrap metal and old furniture on the Turn Pike.

I have seen bed frames, furniture, mufflers etc in the road on 95.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Four axles cost you geting on at Jupiter it's $26, $19.50 at Pompano, and $15.35 in Ft. Laud. Do not know what the two cash tolls (not much) in Miami before you get on the Tpike, but $6.25 for it plus a $5/month service charge (Toll by Plate) so if you used it twice $17.50.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
Ivy,
Thanks for the info, we will be sure to stop at Schooners.

We will be leaving JD SP on and heading to JP SP on a Monday and will do as you say. Thanks for the Sun Pass info, Miami traffic does worry me, but it is hitting the right exit that usually gets me in trouble in busy areas.

Most times missing an exit isn't a big deal, as you can just hit the next one and go back, but this doesn't always work in some high traffic busy routes with multiple exits running many different directions.

How much money for the toll road are we talking about for a 5R.

There is an online Florida Turnpike Toll Calculator that shows tolls from the Jupiter Exit to the end of the Turnpike where you get on Route 1 as $21.00 with SunPass and $26.15 if you just let them send you a bill (That is for 4 axles, which I assume is what your 5er has)
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Ivy,
Thanks for the info, we will be sure to stop at Schooners.

We will be leaving JD SP and heading to JP SP on a Monday and will do as you say. Thanks for the Sun Pass info, Miami traffic does worry me, but it is hitting the right exit that usually gets me in trouble in busy areas.

Most times missing an exit isn't a big deal, as you can just hit the next one and go back, but this doesn't always work in some high traffic busy routes with multiple exits running many different directions.

How much money for the toll road are we talking about for a 5R.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
While at JD SP eat the fisherman stew (no need to order anything else) at Schooner's on A1A just south of the Jupiter inlet (Left onto A1A and two blocks on the L).
Assuming mid day from JD I'd take US1 to 811 (just before the inlet) all the way south to PGA blvd and then get on I-95S. 811 is a excellent divided road and saves going around two sides of a triangle. Now that the extra lanes are completed on I-95 it's smooth going even during rush hour. I stay on 95 all the way into Miami and take 836 (I-395W) to 826S to 874 which feeds you into the Turnpike (821) which dumps you onto US1 at Florida City. After I-95 all of the above are toll roads. A accident on the turnpike often closes it (only 2-3 lanes each direction) while one on I-95 (5-6 lanes) slows you down. Take a look at this using Google Maps.
If going through Miami concerns you then you can get on the turnpike (expensive tolls for a RV) at Pompano Beach using 814 or at Ft. Laud using 84/I-595. Do not worry about not having a Sun Pass on the turnpike around Miami as you will get a bill in the mail based on your tag number.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dougmarrs
Explorer
Explorer
Like all the rest said - U.S> 1 is the only way down. If you get on turn pike it is a straight shot. Just got back in Sept from a week at Long Key State Park. Actually gas was pretty cheap down to Marathon in the Keys. Don't miss going to Key West to the State Park there. No campground but beautiful beach etc.
2013 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite X23F w/ 2013 RAM 5.7 Hemi TV

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I would go west to the Fl Turnpike.

That's what we do after leaving Jonathan Dickinson SP. On the way down, we check Gas Buddy for best price, and fill up in Florida City before getting on the Keys.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 1 would take you through some of the worst neighborhoods in Miami.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
First, you did say Jonathon Dickinson. You could go south(US-1) to Indiantown Road, get on Turnpike and don't get off until Florida City, then US 1 would be the way to go. US-1 all the way? crazy.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
us 1 and forget any other way
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jonathan Dickinson near Tequesta.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:
US-1 South is the only way to go!

Are you NUTS? Do you realize the number of traffic lights between?

His OP said John Penekamp to the Keys! There is no other way! btw Op, stop @ noname key for some good pizza!