cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake City CO from the east?

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at going to Lake City next summer to do some dual sport motorcycle riding. Coming from the east on I70. Is it an easier pull to drop south on 149 from Hwy. 50 just west of Gunnison or to go north on 149 from South Fork over Slumgullion Pass?

I'm thinking coming in from the North is the better choice?
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)
9 REPLIES 9

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the inputs. Sorry I didn't specify we will be pulling the 5th wheel in my signature. The plan is to go to Lake City and ride dual sport bikes, then leave the same way we came in.

I've been over the whole length of 149 but on the Goldwing. Too busy enjoying the ride to notice what it would be like pulling the camper 🙂 but as I remember the road from LC north to 50 isn't real bad.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
We are looking at going to Lake City next summer to do some dual sport motorcycle riding. Coming from the east on I70. Is it an easier pull to drop south on 149 from Hwy. 50 just west of Gunnison or to go north on 149 from South Fork over Slumgullion Pass?

I'm thinking coming in from the North is the better choice?

IMHO I think you have made the right decision, once there continue over and explore 149 over the pass, in the Toad/TV, to see if you would enjoy it going out. It is steep and would need to be taken slowly but many have and do, do it, every year.

Enjoy your trip this is truly one of the wildest, most beautiful areas we have ever explored.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
While camping in Gunnison a few months ago we drove the truck from Gunnison to Lake City and up to and a bit beyond that pass. Saw a moose at Spring Creek Pass. I commented to my wife on the way down back to Lake City that I'm glad I'm not towing the trailer. We towed all of rt 12 in Utah which I didn't think was bad, but I'm steering clear of that section of 149 while towing.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Monarch Pass is easier than Slumgullion Pass, I have done both in my old 6.5 turbo diesel. So I would do 149 south from 50. Then take the bikes over the magnificent Slumgullion Pass.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Lake City but we towed the 5er in from the north. We did drive Slumgullion with the t v and I don't think I would want to do it pulling the rolling condo.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The north side of Slumgullion Pass is by far more difficult than the south side. The south side climbs over a longer distance, less steep sections, and not as many twist and turns. North side is steep and winding almost continuously for quite a few miles from the pass to Lake City.
If you would like to go into Lake City from one direction and leave by the other then enter from the south and leave to the north. Just take care of your speed going down the north side of the pass.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to ask about Moose viewing south of Lake City off Hwy 149!!!!!
Also, come in from the north for an easier ride. More adventure? More scenic, come in from the south.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
It's a heck of a climb from either direction. If pulling TOAD U'll want to unhitch and drive it seperate. While there, make sure to do the Cinnamon/Engineer trails over to the Enimas Ghost(Gold mine)town.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Slumgullion Pass is one of the steeper ones in CO, with grades of 9% on both sides. The biggest obstacle with the north approach is going over Monarch Pass. From I-70, I'd take US 24 west from Limon. From CO Springs, you can continue to Poncha Springs and head west on US 50 from there, or to avoid Ute Pass and Trout Creek Pass and head south from CO Springs on CO 115 to US 50 at Penrose and west from there. See what others here might post on these two options.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)